PDA

View Full Version : History of the Norwegian flag [In Norwegian - NO]

Dubourdieu
04-21-2020, 17:52
I would like to humbly make my contribution to the community with this book whose the title is : Flagget, et nasjonalt symbol blir til (The flag, a born national symbol). It deals with the history and the first appearance of the Norwegian flag & ensign. Although the book is fully written in Norwegian so an obstacle to whom doesn't understand it (I've noticed some Scandinavians amongst the community), I highly invite those who are interested in this subject to look at its numerous illustrations. The author obviously speaks a lot about Denmark, Sweden, their pennants and their ensigns (including the unusual ones) without mentioning the beautiful paintings of ships, historical portraits and architecture models that may help you in your modelling projects.

The bibliography is also very interesting and offers a lot of inspiring trails for further researches, yet written in Norwegian.

Here are the informations about the book and a direct link to its pdf (the hardback version is purchasable but I found the pdf which is legally available and provided by Vest-Agder museet, Museum of the West-Agder province).

Book Title:
Flagget, et nasjonalt symbol blir til
Author:
Jan Henrik Munksgaard
ISBN:
978-82-91178-26-4
Category:
History ; Flags ; Norway ; Denmark
Format:
Hardback / Digital

PDF version (https://www.vestagdermuseet.no/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/VAM_flaggbok_2012_lowres_TWNh2.pdf)
www.vestagdermuseet.no (Museum website)

Bligh
04-24-2020, 04:55
Looks a very interesting book Romeo.
I am glad you posted this because I often think that some of our overseas members are neglected in our general preoccupation with the British, French and American Fleets. Unless Texas or Julien add a flavour of the Nordic, or Spanish input to the struggle we miss out on a lot. Even the American input on their own behalf is restricted to some extent by a lack of ships. It is good, therefore, to be reminded that all the history of the period is not revolving around just the struggle between Britain and France.
Thanks for posting this.
Rob.

Dubourdieu
04-24-2020, 07:54
Looks a very interesting book Romeo.
I am glad you posted this because I often think that some of our overseas members are neglected in our general preoccupation with the British, French and American Fleets. Unless Texas or Julien add a flavour of the Nordic, or Spanish input to the struggle we miss out on a lot. Even the American input on their own behalf is restricted to some extent by a lack of ships. It is good, therefore, to be reminded that all the history of the period is not revolving around just the struggle between Britain and France.
Thanks for posting this.
Rob.

A pleasure if it helps someone ! I agree with you : the Western Europe often forgets that the Nordic kingdoms used to be superpowers from the XVIIth century till early XIXth century. The Great Northern War, the Thirty Years' War, the advent of absolute monarchy, their alliances, etc. are evidences of their power. I am at the moment reading a lot about their colonial empires, in particular in the West Indies, which admittedly were smaller but really renowned for the trade and their strategic forts.

Capn Duff
04-25-2020, 06:11
Looks a very interesting book, unfortunately not being a speaker of the language rather curtails this a bit.
I agree also a number of navies see to be neglected mainly due to a lack of information in English that most of us , not all, would like.
I for one would like more info on the Spanish, Dutch and Scandinavian fleets but with limited funds these days would spend on books
I could read, shame really as there must be plenty of info out there in national languages.
Thanks for bringing this to light

Dubourdieu
04-26-2020, 04:30
Looks a very interesting book, unfortunately not being a speaker of the language rather curtails this a bit.
I agree also a number of navies see to be neglected mainly due to a lack of information in English that most of us , not all, would like.
I for one would like more info on the Spanish, Dutch and Scandinavian fleets but with limited funds these days would spend on books
I could read, shame really as there must be plenty of info out there in national languages.
Thanks for bringing this to light

I share your opinion. We are concretely missing a number of informations we couldn't imagine. Speaking of Scandinavian Navies, I confirm that there are some very interesting resources but in their vernacular languages. I am like you seeking accurate informations about the other nations like the Dutch / Batavian Republic but quickly stuck by the language barrier. There are for example excellent historical sources about Portugal & Spain but even harder to understand because of their formal XVIIIth century languages.
Let's hope we will one day have the possibility to read all that !

Diamondback
08-24-2020, 17:27
The language barrier is one of the biggest things that stymies us trying to research additional ships, along with the slow expansion of the "___ Warships in the Age of Sail" volumes we use as the "game bibles."

Bligh
08-25-2020, 02:53
I agree DB, and even Rif or his Editors or type setters have the odd error, which I have only discovered by looking at some oblique primary sources. if we have errors even here just think what it would be like translating from Slavic or Nordic into English and the errors which would creep in then.
Rob.