PDA

View Full Version : Storage

Teamski
03-28-2020, 20:21
I recently pitched all of my SoG and WoG boxes that I had stored up in the attic. It was painful being the collector I am. Here is how I store my ships. I kept the plastic inserts and cut out the label from the box and glued them onto the inserts.

-Ski

Bligh
03-29-2020, 03:07
Yet another very enterprising method of solving this continuous problem of storage Eric.

Rob.

DeRuyter
03-31-2020, 06:41
Very elegant solution. I magnetized the bases and have them on a magnetic sheet but it does not allow for storage with the cards as yours does. :beer:

Bligh
03-31-2020, 09:59
That has always what has put me off other storage methods Eric.
I like all my ships with their ship mats and cards plus a pack of action chits together ready for quick deployment and packing up at shows.

Rob.

Teamski
03-31-2020, 11:23
My concern was always about breakage. Having had to repair quite a few sails due to the initial KS breakage issue, I didn't want to have to deal with that again, so I kept the inserts as they were pretty good at keeping the ships secure. Now the WoG inserts were an easy toss as you are more likely to break the planes trying to get them out. I did this for them.

-Eric

Bligh
03-31-2020, 12:50
My aircraft are also in hangers like that Eric.
As for sails, since they put th plastic snap over covers on the ships I have had no further breakage of masts save for cack handed punters dropping them or trying to pick them up by the sails.
For how to mend a mast see the Home page:-

https://sailsofglory.org/content.php?14-Wave-2-Mast-Repair

I did one of these too, but Nightmoss's pictures are far better than mine for showing the details.

Rob.

Teamski
03-31-2020, 13:55
I had 4 snapped and did a thread on BGG for the fix back in the day. Really happy with Ares' response to it.

-Eric

Bligh
03-31-2020, 13:58
Good to know Eric.
They were very good about replacements also. I got one replaced and they never even asked for to broken one back, so I did a repaair and had both ships for each side of the card which is really what started me collecting two of everything.
Rob.

Naharaht
04-01-2020, 13:41
Those stacking boxes were a good idea, Eric! :thumbsup:

Vagabond
04-01-2020, 23:34
Eric thanks for showing your sails storage method, it was so obvious once I'd seen it but it never occured to me to remove the vacuum formed inners and use them.

I don't travel with my ships or planes and so the planes fit neatly into a drawer storage system but the ships are too tall and so are still in their boxes, but using their inserts they will fit into my drawer system neatly laying on their side.

Smacks himself on the forehead and goes derrrr. :smack: :shock: :surrender:

Cheers :drinks::beer:

Kustenjaeger
04-02-2020, 00:52
Greetings

At the moment my SoG ships are stored upright in their boxes in a large plastic box. The exception are the four from the basic set which are still in the box.

The WoG planes are stored the same way except for 12 or so in a KR multicase. When the Shapeways planes get painted they will probably also go in a multi case foam insert.

Regards

Edward

pm479
04-27-2020, 14:39
I recently pitched all of my SoG and WoG boxes that I had stored up in the attic. It was painful being the collector I am. Here is how I store my ships. I kept the plastic inserts and cut out the label from the box and glued them onto the inserts.

-Ski

Do you know the brand of these storage bins?

Teamski
04-27-2020, 15:34
They are Sterilite 2 Layer Stack and Carry.

-Eric

Bligh
04-29-2020, 02:38
Do you know the brand of these storage bins?

Good to have you alongside Nick, and welcome to the Anchorage.
Please don't forget to sign on in the Welcome Aboard Forum.

https://sailsofglory.org/forumdisplay.php?5-Welcome-Aboard

Rob.

Diamondback
04-29-2020, 22:07
I find the boxes and blisters don't take as much room if I flatten the boxes and nest the blisters together. Most of my planes are still in boxes while I try to plan out more hangar trays, while my ships are in several organizers that I've found fit them well.

If another wave drops I'm gonna need to rethink the 64-and-smaller cases though... right now I have small 2-deckers in one, 1-deckers in another and both are almost full at 2 ships/cell and 16 cells/case.

Bligh
04-30-2020, 00:47
I was keeping all my ships in two large portable travel trolly units until I got my new games room. I realized that for shows I only needed a select few, so all my ships are now in two cupboards, and I just select what I want for shows when the time comes to decide what game I'm putting on. Much less trouble than shipping the whole lot about all the time.

Rob.

pm479
04-30-2020, 00:53
I find the boxes and blisters don't take as much room if I flatten the boxes and nest the blisters together. Most of my planes are still in boxes while I try to plan out more hangar trays, while my ships are in several organizers that I've found fit them well.

If another wave drops I'm gonna need to rethink the 64-and-smaller cases though... right now I have small 2-deckers in one, 1-deckers in another and both are almost full at 2 ships/cell and 16 cells/case.

Care to share any pictures?

Diamondback
04-30-2020, 21:56
Care to share any pictures?

I'll try to shoot a couple this weekend; the 74s-and-up are in Deep Storage but the smaller-ship cases are still here. If it helps, these are the cases I use:
https://www.irisusainc.com/extra-large-photo-keeper-kp-xlpho/ for the smaller ships
http://reallyusefulproducts.co.uk/usa/html/onlineshop/rub/b00_3litreOrg.php for 74's
Wave 2 three-deckers and Constitution are enough bigger that I had to bump up to 0.7l Really Useful cases for 'em.

Diamondback
05-05-2020, 13:31
As promised if a bit late...

Snuck in one of the 74-gun SOLs I still have here to illustrate how I pack those, too.

pm479
05-05-2020, 14:32
Thanks Diamond for sharing. I am guessing the SOL is in the lower left? It seems like it's in another container than the ones that come with the IRIS box.

I also assume that everything is 'loose' in the individual 4x6 container. Is that correct?

Thanks again!

Teamski
05-05-2020, 14:37
Yeah, thanks for sharing! No problems with the contents and the ships shifting?

-Ski

Diamondback
05-05-2020, 14:40
Yup, Bahama is the big box on the bottom photo-case's lid. Correct, and it's not as secure as I'd like but I haven't found time and motivation to make spacers yet.

I also doodled this in Sketchup as the start to designing a display case modeled after a china cabinet... the idea is a large outer case, with this being one removable cell for a single ship.

Idea is that the ship base locks in, and the ship free-floats on its base.

Diamondback
05-05-2020, 15:19
Yeah, thanks for sharing! No problems with the contents and the ships shifting?

-Ski

They shift a little, but one of these was bouncing around in the back of my aunt's car for months with no ill effects.

Comte de Brueys
05-06-2020, 00:25
Did you lost any masts in the past?

Looks not that shock safe...