PDA

View Full Version : British Seapower and the Mysore Wars

jasonb
01-05-2020, 12:30
Paper by Philip MacDougall

"The naval aspirations of Hyder Ali (1760–82) and Tipu Sultan (1782–99), rulers of the southern Indian state of Mysore, is a much neglected subject. In creating a naval force, that clearly emulated those of the European nations, it was seen as a means of first neutralizing the power of the British before being ultimately used to remove all European colonizers from the subcontinent. Factors both aiding and working against the creation of this fleet are discussed together with the interest shown by the French in developing a working arrangement with the nascent Mysore naval power. That the efforts of the two Mysore rulers came to very little was a result of a series of swift and decisive actions taken by the British at the outset of any period of hostility combined with the difficulties faced by a land power developing an effective maritime force."

https://www.academia.edu/9547199/British_Seapower_and_the_Mysore_Wars

Bligh
01-06-2020, 00:55
Although your discoveries are right up my street, I think we had better curtail Academia until we are sure that their articles are above board Jason.

Rob.

jasonb
01-06-2020, 05:58
This one, like others I've posted was put up by the author himself. A lot of academics put stuff up there, including a lot of my friends. In my haste, I just didn't check that one. The others should be legit.

Bligh
01-06-2020, 13:32
Fine, carry on that man.:thumbsup:
Rob.