PDA

View Full Version : The real fog of war.

Bligh
01-04-2020, 13:52
Having enjoyed Boney10's Fleet action using his rules for fog in a scenario, I decided to combine my idea for the Flying Dutchman picture I did earlier in the year with an action between two ships in the fog. Over Christmas I found the time to play out the following action.

Here we see HMS Amelia setting out on a fine day in early October to try and locate a French Frigate which has been marauding off the coast and attacking homeward bound merchantmen.

It is not long before a sea mist descends and envelopes the ship.

The rest of the scenario will be posted as soon as the pictures are worked up.

Rob.

Bligh
01-15-2020, 13:27
The Action.

FOG!

As the Amelia sailed along the coast seeking the whereabouts of the French convoy raiders a sea mist suddenly swept in blanketing ship and coastline. Captain Groat immediately ordered a shortening of sails, the log to be cast fro soundings, and an alteration of course out to sea away from any outlying shoals or rocks.

Quite unbeknown to him, the French commerce raider that he was seeking had adopted almost exactly the same attitude and was, unknown to either Captain drawing ever closer to the Amelia.

The Dryad's Captain also groped his way through the cloying mist, unable to see more than a cable ahead of the bowsprit end.
Knowing the coast better than the British, he turned a couple of degrees to port to follow the indentation of the bay ahead and wear ship in order to retrace his course to what he supposed was his safe home hideaway.

On the opposite course and in the very light winds with little headway Groat was fighting to maintain his course as the incoming tide drifted him back toward the land.

Dryade had now succeeded in tacking and was heading home.

Amelia continued to make course changes to avoid the coast.

As the wind started to pick up and clear the fog Dryade tacked again.

Whilst Amelia continued to claw her way to windward.

Within a few minutes the lookout at Amelia's Fore-top mast sighted the mainmast of Dryade emerging above the fog.

As soon as dryad's lookouts spotted Amelia, her Captain put her about.

This ploy was spotted by Captain Groat who had taken his Dolland glass up into the shrouds.

He immediately signaled to the First Officer to bring Amelia about on a converging course, and having the advantage of the wind gauge she came about in splendid fashion.

As the fog receded even further both ships approached each other head on as if to see which Captain would flinch first.

As it was Dryad was the first to make a move trying to slip around Amelia and gain the wind gauge by veering out to sea.

This maneuver also gave her the chance to bow rake Amelia at long range.

Unfortunately for Dryads Captain the freshening wind chose this moment to veer towards the land and Amelia was caught in stays thus preventing the preemptive move by Dryade.

In fact it eventually brought her within the arc of Amelia's forward battery, which took full advantage of this unexpected bonus.

After an exchange of fire from the tops, both ships having come together slid along each other side and disengaged.

Amelia immediately tacked, and set off in pursuit of the Dryade.

The wind now chose this moment to slacken again as the two ships jockeyed for an advantageous position.

It then veered once more.

Using the wind to advantage Amelia came about and her broadside almost succeeded in raking the Dryade.

With her rudder damaged all she could do was to luff whilst repairs were taken in hand.

As Amelia came about in an attempt to close with her Dryade got off a desultory shot with her aft most battery.

The wind now veered due south.

With her rudder now patched up, a stern chase now commenced for Amelia.

Her slight speed advantage gradually allowed her to overhaul the Dryade.

As Dryade tried to outfox Captain Groat by turning away.another exchange of fire took place.
Once again Amelia came out on top as Dryade's guns and crews were gradually put out of action by the attrition.

The chase continued as both crews feverishly reloaded.

and each captain tried to out maneuver the other.

Dryade was first to get off a desultory broadside.

However, with consummate skill Captain groat put up his helm and swept down on the Frenchman, and crossing his stern raked his ship, mauling both men and structure badly.

Groat now continued his turn whilst reloading.

There was nowhere for the Dryade to run.
The forrard guns spoke again.

Dryade was doomed. Unable to out turn Amelia she could only wait for the inevitable reloading yet again.

Again the sequence was repeated.

However coming up into the eye of the wind both Frigates tacked in sequence.
With a last defiant attempt Dryade fired her depleted broadside into Amelia's hull.
The devastating reply of Amelia's broadside, forced the Dryade's captain to strike at once, as his decimated crew could no longer manage the ship.

Thus was yet another of Napoleon's chess pieces removed from play in the Indian Ocean.

Bligh.

Bligh
01-15-2020, 13:44
The Butcher's Bill.

Bit of a crushing defeat for the French.
I felt a bit embarrassed and rather hope the rematch sans fog will be a bit less one sided.

Comte de Brueys
01-16-2020, 08:13
Impressive shooting!

Great AAR, Rob. :salute:

Bligh
01-16-2020, 08:19
Thanks Sven.
The fog was the real reason for playing that. Capt Kiwi and I enjoyed Chris's game at Donny so much, we wondered how we could run it with just a couple of ships for the Solo campaign. The main problem we found was the two ships could miss each other much more easily than a Squadron, so the rules will need a tweak here or there.
Rob.

Naharaht
01-16-2020, 22:11
Thank you for the good A.A.R., Rob, and the photographic special effects! :thumbsup: It was interesting to see that you used the rules for changing wind direction.

TexaS
01-17-2020, 00:05
Nice engagement!

Good to see some action on the forum again.

Bligh
01-17-2020, 04:33
Thank you for the good A.A.R., Rob, and the photographic special effects! :thumbsup: It was interesting to see that you used the rules for changing wind direction.

Thank you for the Rep David.
I was trying to simulate the dispersal of the fog by starting the wind on low and dispersal coming with a rise in the wind. However it almost backfired because both ships had not gone anywhere near each other and the wind change came after about nine moves. When Chris did his he only allowed six cards to be drawn and then played simulating the fog. nine random cards was what made the Dryade start to retrace her steps. We need to refine that by removing some turns from the deck or replacing them with straights if they come up when revealed.
Other than that hiccup it all seemed to play out pretty well.
Rob.

Bligh
01-17-2020, 04:34
Nice engagement!

Good to see some action on the forum again.

Glad you liked it Jonas. I hope to get another action fought soon.
Rob.

DeRuyter
01-17-2020, 10:03
Nice AAR. Love the fog! Reminds me of the Mr. Hollum's dilemma; Shall we beat to quarters? You're the officer of the watch.....

BTW - Is that a commercial sea mat or something you made?

Bligh
01-17-2020, 12:06
I have to fess up Eric, the mat was bought when I completed my new wargames room. I did not want to trim down my old mat as it is big enough for games at shows and Doncaster. It also goes very well with Chris's mat for the really big games like his Trafalgar. The last fog game I did was a follow the stern lights of the ship in front and heaven help you if you get lost. I did not however have the mastery of Photoshop at that time so the fog was not all that it was cracked up to be. I am now wondering what we can do with a night action. Visibility a bit better I fancy!

Rob.