PDA

View Full Version : Gunboat Ideas

Ferrante
10-31-2019, 04:16
Hello
I was thinking about including gunboats In game .
Any ideas ?

I have one Langton model similar to Antonio Barcelo design from 1980, but I want to do a rule for generic gunboat

Ship Stats log :

Ship Base :

Fire arc is limited to one , as they used to have 1 or 2 cannons onboard . And we are waiting for better movement cards

TexaS
11-01-2019, 01:58
I don't know about that particular gunboat, but for gunboats in general I don't think G would be a very good deck. They were maneuverable from being small but not that fast. I've read accounts of British ships outsailing gunboats in cutting out expeditions. That is a crew that's never sailed that ship before that still outran the local gunboats.

Ferrante
11-01-2019, 04:18
I don't know about that particular gunboat, but for gunboats in general I don't think G would be a very good deck. They were maneuverable from being small but not that fast. I've read accounts of British ships outsailing gunboats in cutting out expeditions. That is a crew that's never sailed that ship before that still outran the local gunboats.
Thank you for your feedback ! This is what I need as I am not an expert
It is nice , and what do you think will be better ?

I was planning about only 1 cannon ship log . And because of size some special rule , only damaged when the point value in the token is 1 or something similar .

This is the base I has created . All the feedback is welcome , and we together can make the gunboat rules .

Bligh
11-01-2019, 06:45
I would think that the hull burden could be a 2 because gunboats were strengthened to absorb the recoil of the gun. So would take a bit of sinking.
Deck to use a bit more problematic.
Dobbs or Dave Manley might have a suggestion there.
i rely on them DB and Texas extensively for my non standard decks.
Rob.

Ferrante
11-01-2019, 13:26
Hello Rob I modified the hull burden to 2 . I am going to update with all the info my first post .
This kind of gunboat was very used in Cuba and in the Spanish Main . Also near from Gibraltar

Ferrante
11-12-2019, 11:18
Well I have the first mini test
2 gunboats vs 1 sloop . Gunboat usually fighted against sloops , frigates and minor ships . As they have a little fire power .
My idea for the game is use that gunboats to do some damage to bigger ships before a battle or in special scenarios

Somewhere near from Cuba...
One sloop was waiting for other ships when 2 gunboats deicided to go for it

I am using the G movement cards , with half sails. Need to move less
Gunboats approaching to the sloop

Sloop evading

And finally the gunboats with great angle to shoot

First damage done , lucky ones

Returning fire

And after 4 rounds of fire , and changing ammo
the ships status :

As this is a test I didn’t ended the fight , and with the solo mode the sloop left the game board .
It was possible for the sloop to destroy both gunboats . And the gunboats did some damage to the sloop .
The gunboats stats and fire angles worked to me , but need to improve .
Also we need to thing about movement cards

Next fight will be against a frigate

Regards , and sorry for my basic English skills

Bligh
11-12-2019, 12:58
You need not worry about your English Ferrante. It is better than some of the pupils I taught and they were born here.:wink:

The test was very interesting. I would love to get Andrea's take on it as regards the ethos and stats awarded to your gunboats. It will be interesting to see how they fare against a Frigate.
Thanks for posting this entertaining and thought provoking trial run.
Anyone else got observations on this please?
Rob.