PDA

View Full Version : Repair question from recent newb :-) (moved)

pajaromuerto
04-26-2019, 13:40
Ahoy mates! I tried finding an answer in earlier messages, but couldn't, so here goes:

REPAIRS:
1. Assuming still having 4 actions, I get say, a leak. Next turn, I play the Repair action, plus Pump, Load Starboard, Lower Sails. The Repair chit will be taken out of the action square, and put in the Special Damage box, right? But the action lasts 2 turns!

So NEXT turn, the second half of the ongoing Repair action: Do I get to pick 4 new actions, or just 3? Can I choose Fire Starboard, Pump again, Raise Sails, and Fire Muskets, 'cause the Repair going still on, BUT NOW IN THE DAMAGE BOX THO, is like a "free" 5th action?

2. Also, can a captain plan a Repair action preemptively? Like plan the Repair even with a spanking new ship, assuming you're gonna take hits this turn, and hence this turn itself counts as the 1st repairing turn? I now the rules say that's an illegal action for Extinguishing, but... ;-)

3. AND ONE MORE, can you interrupt a repair? Like starting to repair a hull section, then needing the action space badly and cancelling the 2nd repair turn, even if you would have to use another two turns later when repairing again?

¡Gracias!
–Rolando

(Same post in the General Discussion area by mistake, please remove it mods!)

Capn Duff
04-28-2019, 03:32
Hi Rolando

Any repair action that is a delayed action, still counts as an action for the following turn, so in your example you get three actions the turn after you play the repair counter.

Your second question, in effect , yes you can plan a pre-emptive repair action BUT it will only last the normal time and you cannot keep it in the action box untill needed, after one or two turns it will again be removed and put into your available actions again.

Question three, I am not aware of any rule to stop you interrupting a repair action if you wish, but as you state you would have to start the repair sequence from scratch, it would not already be half completed.

Hope this helps

Bligh
04-28-2019, 13:33
Spot on with your explanation Chris. Thanks for having saved me from the need to answer this.
You are my Captain of the Fleet after all.:hatsoff:
Rob..

pajaromuerto
04-28-2019, 23:57
Thanks guys! So I guess it's pre-emptive repair as a standard action until you have to start choosing. ��

--Rolando

Comte de Brueys
04-29-2019, 04:13
That's how I would do it with the advanced/optional rules. Well done Chris. :salute:

Similar procedure for the extinguish fire action.

Problem here, you definitely loose one burden box to the fire with the delay of the action.

A hulk leak is easier to handle because you can pump all the water out of the ship during/after the repair of the leak.

So these "crew handling" games are very interesting to play but need time and experienced players to do.

Capn Duff
04-29-2019, 09:29
Yes Sven agreed, the use of the crew actions makes things a lot more enjoyable but can slow down a game with inexperienced players, but well worth it if you can. Get your head around the use and when actions take place.

Bligh
04-29-2019, 13:13
I agree. Not something to be taken on board with inexperienced players or if you are doing a really large battle. It is very easy to lose track of what is transpiring on every ship and spoils the flow of the game with housekeeping. One solution is that I use is to assume that crew can handle any action until you are down to half crew. After all the ships Officers are there to direct the men. Then they can only do the actions they have men for ans as officers fall it gets harder to direct the men.
Rob.

Capn Duff
04-29-2019, 14:32
Yes Rob, you are right, however , for Rolando, get some experience playing at the intermediate level before using crew actions, but do use them you will enjoy the game a bit more.
Anything we can help with just asl.

Comte de Brueys
04-30-2019, 00:11
This houserule sounds interesting, Rob. :hatsoff: