PDA

View Full Version : Taking SoG Out A Whole New Door

csadn
08-09-2012, 17:23
From up at the airfield:

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/580961_10151051841067696_494756295_n.jpg

Berthier
08-10-2012, 03:52
So is that classified as a "ship" or an aircraft under the rules? :D

David Manley
08-10-2012, 06:05
The former - it is a starship, after all :)

Most of the starship wargame rules I have enjoyed over the years have an almost exclusively naval feel (as does Trek itself) - in some cases the rules have been developed from naval rules, ina few cases I've seen SF starship rules adapted for wet nay use (including a very interesting age of sail variant of Full Thrust)

csadn
08-10-2012, 21:58
Most of the starship wargame rules I have enjoyed over the years have an almost exclusively naval feel (as does Trek itself) - in some cases the rules have been developed from naval rules, ina few cases I've seen SF starship rules adapted for wet nay use (including a very interesting age of sail variant of Full Thrust)

To the eternal irritation of this airplane (and Air-Force) supporter.... :)

It is said some USAF types will refer to ex-AF Roddenberry as a "traitor" for calling Kirk "Captain" instead of "Colonel".

David Manley
08-10-2012, 23:30
Enterprise was OBVIOUSLY not air force - there clearly wasn't a golf course in the design and no air force officer would ever be more than 5 minutes from one :D

Coog
08-11-2012, 00:15
Enterprise was OBVIOUSLY not air force - there clearly wasn't a golf course in the design and no air force officer would ever be more than 5 minutes from one :D

I would think that the Air Force would be relieved that the Enterprise's command was based on the Navy instead of the Air Force. Who would want their commanding officers portrayed as a someone who "romances" creatures outside his own species, as well as the mechanical ones!

csadn
08-11-2012, 15:09

Actually, I believe one of the "blueprints" published waybackwhen included something vaguely approximating a driving range.

And if you've seen. _Navy SEALs_: You know the Navy is just as interested in golf -- they just don't get the opportunity.

I would think that the Air Force would be relieved that the Enterprise's command was based on the Navy instead of the Air Force. Who would want their commanding officers portrayed as a someone who "romances" creatures outside his own species, as well as the mechanical ones!

Well, you know, those navy types spend all that time stuck on ships with no companionship.... >:)

Coog
08-11-2012, 15:52
And there was the holodeck on the Enterprise. A round of golf could probably have been played there. As far as other recreation...Quark on one episode of Deep Space 9 was renting out a "holosuite" that provided "companionship.

csadn
08-12-2012, 22:56
The thought occurs: One could use the First Edition of _Star Fleet Battles_ -- the "stick and string" version from *way* back -- to sort out firing arcs; and use the WW2 chit-draw to handle how damage is inflicted....

Blackrose
11-03-2012, 04:04
Actually, the WOW/WoG mechanics would suit Star Trek just fine. Modifying SoG would probably be better too ;)
Karl