Bilge Rat
01-05-2019, 14:11
Book Title:
John Paul Jones and the Bonhomme Richard Author:
Jean Boudriot translated by David Roberts ISBN:
0-87021-892-1 Category:
History Format:
Hardback Summary:
Published in 1987 by the Naval Institute Press (in the US), the author, Jean Boudriot is a leading authority in the world of French sailing ships of war.
This book of 127 pages gives the reader a clear idea of the French East India Company ship Duc De Duras and her conversion to the warship Bonhomme Richard in beautifully illustrated detail.
There are a number of color artworks both full page and detailed of the ships, equipment, crew etc to accompany the narrative and a fully detailed minute by minute description of the action between Bonhomme Richard and HMS Serapis is a real highlight. Not only does it discuss the commanders decisions but there are also drawings of the relative positions of the two ships at various stages of the battle.
The book ends with a thorough description of Bonhomme Richards construction including a large number of line drawings, in much the same style as Conways ‘History of the Ship’ series.
The book is an extremely enjoyable read and I wholeheartedly recommend it.

I found my copy in an antique store so I am unsure if this publication is still available.

Bligh
01-06-2019, 13:09
Well I will certainly keep a weather eye out for it Steve.
Rob.