PDA

View Full Version : French Froggy Frigates!

Herkybird
12-15-2018, 13:43
We got to be French today, and had a fun little action!

The report is on my blog at THIS LINK (https://herkybird-richardbradley.blogspot.com/2018/12/all-at-sea-again.html)

I hope you enjoy it!

Bligh
12-15-2018, 14:40
Once again an action that proves the importance of getting in that first broadside without a reply.
Good show Richard.
Rob.

Comte de Brueys
12-15-2018, 15:01
French victory. :salute:

Herkybird
12-15-2018, 15:04
French victory. :salute:

Its about time our French friends had a victory, RN supremacy is too much a given!

Thanks for the kind comments mes amis!

Dobbs
12-15-2018, 17:01
Richard, do I understand correctly that you and your friend played one side and your AI played the other?

It is such an intriguing idea for me. I don't know what it says about my character, but if I have a friend across the gaming table, my first suggestion is that we try and blow each other up, not work together....

Dobbs
12-15-2018, 17:02
I will have to give this AI a try.

Bligh
12-16-2018, 02:39
Whilst I am teaching Captain Kiwi a new rule or strategy we normally play against AI. That gives me more time to show him the tricks of the trade. if we are playing a normal game we take opposite sides either with AI partners or not as we see fit.
Rob.

Herkybird
12-16-2018, 03:12
Yes, Phil still has trouble remembering the rules at times and is not confident moving in relation to the wind, that is where the AI is a good opponent, as Mr Bligh says!
In this game, the AI rolled some extreme results at the beginning, which gave us the advantage. It doesn't always act so kind!
We often play multi players against the AI for an easy game, or to even up a game if we have 3 players, the AI plays the extra ship.

Capn Duff
12-16-2018, 04:17
Another nice report there Richard, thanks for posting.
I dont use frigates often, I always find the British a bit flimsy with the Amazons having a burden of two.

Herkybird
12-16-2018, 05:25
Another nice report there Richard, thanks for posting.
I dont use frigates often, I always find the British a bit flimsy with the Amazons having a burden of two.

Cheers! Yes, I always think Burden is under costed, as it really makes ships more survivable in a fire-fight, especially at long range. At shorter range, those orange chits have more big damage chits, making burden less significant.
British frigates really need to get the first shot in, to make use of their slight advantage in broadside.

Dobbs
12-16-2018, 05:56
Thanks for the insights into the AI, guys.

As I have mentioned elsewhere, to even things out with the Amazons, I have increased their Burden to 3 since historically they are roughly the same tonnage as the Concordes. I also switched their decks, making the Concordes the faster of the two classes. That gives the French the speed advantage and the British a slight broadside advantage. Here's a list of changes I've made:

https://www.sailsofglory.org/showthread.php?4935-My-Portland-50-Re-envisioned-and-others

Bilge Rat
12-16-2018, 10:04
Very well described and the photos are great. Thanks for sharing.

Capn Duff
12-16-2018, 10:41
Thanks for the insights into the AI, guys.

As I have mentioned elsewhere, to even things out with the Amazons, I have increased their Burden to 3 since historically they are roughly the same tonnage as the Concordes. I also switched their decks, making the Concordes the faster of the two classes. That gives the French the speed advantage and the British a slight broadside advantage. Here's a list of changes I've made:

https://www.sailsofglory.org/showthread.php?4935-My-Portland-50-Re-envisioned-and-others

Yes, I have seen your comments elsewhere Dobbs, I just not got around to redoing my mats and ship cards as yet. But like that idea

Bligh
12-16-2018, 13:17
I am certainly going to give my amazons that tweak. As I read it in many authoritative journals the French Frigates were light fast and sleek, whilst the British were bluff, more weatherly, and stronger, but slower.

Rob.

Dobbs
12-16-2018, 14:32
Were do I find the AI rules? It strikes me that there were two different options?

Bligh
12-16-2018, 15:34
Richard, Herkybird has a set of Solo movement rules which we use if that is what you mean Dobbs.
Rob.

Dobbs
12-16-2018, 15:45
Richard, Herkybird has a set of Solo movement rules which we use if that is what you mean Dobbs.
Rob.

Thanks, Rob, that was what I meant. I found them on his website and downloaded them. They look interesting and well thought out. I shall give them a try.