PDA

View Full Version : Play by Email Options

DavidMac
11-17-2018, 17:52
Hello all I've had a quick look around at online options for playing SoG. Ideally I'm after a client that'll let me take a move in the evening, share the results, and apply the outcomes the following day. I'm wondering if anyone has an email friendly client up and running- so far I've found:

Vassal- No mod for SoG. Client will lend itself to email with save states on progress and the capacity to share said files, but it'll need to be built from scratch.
Tabletopia- No mod for SoG. There are tools for building mods easily but you need to put your resources through a remote review process once you're done. This presents a significant risk on development- if anyone says 'no' to your content, you've done.
Tabletop Simulator- There is a client and it looks great. Running a dedicated server for a game seems an optimal option for this client, but feels like a gross waste of resources for a game that will receive ~10 mins of attention per day at most. Running a game by sharing saved states might work, but it'll require an investment in the software ($25 US) and players will need to establish a method of communicating their actions (there isn't a command line to record all actions from what I can tell).

I guess I'm writing here to gauge interest and collate insights. Has anyone looked into this? Is there a Discord channel up and running that I've missed? Would people be interested in playing 'the slow way' via a client if I were to get something up and running? I'm motivated, ultimately, as I can't play as frequently as I'd like, and my neighbours don't seem to enjoy this game as much as I do!

Thanks- David

Naharaht
11-17-2018, 19:59
I have not played Sails of Glory by e-mail but I have taken part in Wings of Glory by e-mail. There was no special electronic system. The Gamesmaster had the game set up on a table in his home. We e-mailed moves to him by a deadline twice a week. He made the moves, did the firing and e-mailed photographs back showing the results. Some of the results were, of course, kept secret.

Bligh
11-18-2018, 02:34
I have taken part in other war-games played by E-mail Dave but again like Naharaht's example they have been run by a Games Master, and always seemed to peter out before the end, so I prefer our own system here of Solo campaigning.
Rob.

DavidMac
11-18-2018, 02:40
Aye it seems tricky to track people down. I'll have a closer look at the solo campaign :beer:

MrMo
11-18-2018, 04:54
Hello folks

I know these features only from PC computer games like from HPS Simulations or Matrixgames. I played these Hex games often via eMail with a friend, thousands of kilometres away. I think to realize this option at SoG, will need a experienced programmer or a very short line of communication. :)

As example look at the "Naval Campaigns" section from HPS Simulations or at Youtube. Although played in a different era, it is still very interesting. Naval Board games is still a very special topic within the PC gaming section and in the Board games section, too.

HPS: https://www.hpssims.com/
YT: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wo8r4RNMbio

Regards
Marco