PDA

View Full Version : The Battle of Lighthouse Point

Dobbs
09-23-2018, 14:48
Today's rainy day fun was an engagement between the Montagne and HMS Royal Sovereign. It was using my ship charts with damage possible on both sides of a ship and my current rules with a half knot of current setting the ships toward lighthouse point. In the upper righthand corner is the card indicating the strength and direction of the current. The wind was out of the east, blowing toward the top of the picture. The current was setting to the northeast.

A squall had broken up the blockading squadron leaving Royal Sovereign alone to stop the French 1st rate Montagne from breaking out past Lighthouse Point.

Montagne clears the headland.

At this point, Royal Sovereign over reaches her opponent, and is unable to present her full broadside. I decided to hold fast and received Montagne's unchallenged opening broadside.

Dobbs
09-23-2018, 15:02
The mast damage was a surprise, but allowed me to slew to starboard in an attempt to deliver my doubleshotted port broadside at point blank range.

Unfortunately, I was just outside of range to deliver my package, and while I wormed my broadside and reloaded, Montagne hit Royal Sovereign again.

Each turn, the current edges the ships a little to the lower right.

Dobbs
09-23-2018, 17:20
At this point, the wind had backed to the northeast. With these behemoths, neither of us wanted to risk tacking, so each time we wore ship, we worked a little farther from the headland. Of course the current kept setting us back toward the point. Still trying to get a shot in, I sailed into the teeth of another broadside.

At this point, I raised the signal, "enemy in sight", to try to trick my opponent into thinking I was not alone. Since we had picked a duel scenario, it didn't work.
I had to weather another broadside before I could finally bring my own to bear.

I really wanted to retire at this point, but with the mast damage, I knew I was committed. I sent the midshipman to weight the codebooks.

Dobbs
09-23-2018, 17:38
Royal Sovereign got an exceptional break in that exchange. I scored a mast hit on Montagne and the next turn, the wind backed and threw her into irons.

Unfortunately, my command was so badly wounded that I was unable to press my advantage. Now rudderless using the two mast hit cards, I tried to turn into the wind, hoping that fate would have me fall off into a point of sail where I could use my port broadside before Montagne could bring her guns to bear.

It was not to be. I luffed up, was raked from the stern, and hauled down my flag.

Bligh
09-24-2018, 04:27
A sad outcome for a proud ship Dobbs, but a very interesting action.
With three unchallenged hits on her Sovereign would have needed a miracle to come out of that encounter.
We were much luckier with her double at our Trafalgar game.
Rob.

Capn Duff
09-24-2018, 16:32
A nice game there Dobbs, standing off and shooting is a tactic I regularly use against the British, nice report there

TalkMonkey
09-24-2018, 18:43
Dobbs! Where, might I ask, did you get those fantastic ship management sheets?! They look like they add a touch more complexity but a fair bit of fun. Very nice AAR and I love the scenery.

Comte de Brueys
09-25-2018, 00:07
Oh oh - normaly the RN did not miscalculate that way. :surrender:

Nice AAR and those managing charts look intersting, Dobbs.

The island is an eyecatcher. :clap:

Dobbs
09-25-2018, 06:54
Thank you all for your kind comments and the rep.

The managing charts are of my own devising. A number of years back, I started developing an Elizabethan sailing ship game that used charts like them. My gaming friends familiar with my game thought we should incorporate them in SoG.

Being able to take damage on both sides makes the ships more durable, and, at least in my mind, seeing the damage allocated to an image of a ship makes it feel "bigger".

I've posted some of my Ship Charts around here somewhere, but if you're interested, I will have to re-post them, as they have evolved some since then. I have also modified the base cards to give the ships more historically accurate sailing angles.

Dobbs
09-25-2018, 06:58
Rob, if you have a moment and could work your magic, that second to last picture refuses to straighten at my hand.

Dobbs
09-25-2018, 07:02
A nice game there Dobbs, standing off and shooting is a tactic I regularly use against the British, nice report there

Thanks, Chris, and an outstanding job to you on your Trafalgar!

Yep, I usually try to stand off as well, but this time I thought I'd "just go at'em". That'll learn me!

TalkMonkey
09-25-2018, 07:08
I've posted some of my Ship Charts around here somewhere, but if you're interested, I will have to re-post them, as they have evolved some since then. I have also modified the base cards to give the ships more historically accurate sailing angles.

Please DO re-post them! I would love to try them in one of my games. I love the damage specific to a side aspect that is present in so many of my favorite Age of Sail computer games. Or if you would prefer, please PM me if you are willing to share and don’t want to post them. Either way, really great work!

Bligh
09-25-2018, 09:46
Job done Dobbs.
Rob.

Dobbs
09-28-2018, 17:08
I will re-post them. It may be a few days, though. It's been a heck of a week.

Bligh
09-29-2018, 01:23
That would be great Dobbs.
When I get a few minutes myself and we have sorted out a problem over medals, i will ask Keith if they are suitable for going in the files.
Rob.

Naharaht
09-30-2018, 21:53
Thank you for the good A.A.R., Dobbs! :thumbsup: