PDA

View Full Version : Holiday snapshots.

Bligh
09-16-2018, 04:44
Here is a small ship action during our holiday in Dorset last week using the Chilean navy ship O'Higgins and a French Armed Merchantman purchased in from a visit to Entoyment on that very day.

The two ships close for action.

Coming about the Merchantman gets in the first forrard shots ruining its first broadside advantage.

O'Higgins replies with a much more telling broadside, even causing a small fire to break out on the French ship.

A bit of a stern chase now ensues.

Luffing O'Higgins gets off another first time of fire broadside. This time a raking shot from its Port side guns which, does much service amongst the Frenchman's crew but little other damage.

both ships now come about to run before the wind. Mayhap the Frenchie is a little shy!

But no! she comes about and both ships exchange fire. Again the French crew are hard hit.

The stern chase continues with O'Higgins again using her forrard battery to good effect. more men are wounded and a plank is sprung below the waterline.

The chase continues.

Turning into the wind, the Frenchman repays O'Higgins in kind.

as the Frenchman misses stays and pays off the wind, O'Higgins again gets her forrard guns into action, playing on the frenchman's stern.

Both ships maneuver to gain an advantage.

Once more it concludes with a trade off of broadsides, but this time the toll on the French crew is conclusive, and unable to continue the combat she strikes to O'Higgins.

Thus ends the battle of Poole Bay.

Bligh.

Bligh
09-16-2018, 04:48
The Butcher's Bill.

Clearly showing the decimation of the French crew caused by the O'Higgins, in spite of the French having a larger crew.

Rob.

Wentworth
09-16-2018, 21:05
Nicely done ! I enjoyed reading the AAR. Was your holiday enjoyable and relaxing ?

Bligh
09-17-2018, 01:31
Yes thanks Bill.

We visited Mrs Bligh's brother for a day out and visited "Entoyment" where a lot of our chaps game and shop. Then spent two days exploring the Jurassic coast. Picked up a few fossils, some of which are nearly as old as I am. Did the Museum, and then a totally decadent day in Swanage, plus of course the really important part by playing the game of Sails.

Rob.

Aaron
09-17-2018, 03:08
Nice action! Looks as if the French were aiming high ;). I noticed your player mats do not have crew action countdown on the damage track, do you not track actions? If not how do you handle the special damage e.g. fire, flood?

Bligh
09-17-2018, 07:52
Hi Aaron.

Judging by the Chilean hits on men I think they must have been skimming the deck!

Using this simple mat system:-
Crew actions are four, until half crew damage is reached. Leaks take up one action pumping until mended. Fire shuts the box in which it occurs and then one to put out. after half crew damage only two actions allowed including running around like headless chickens. We assume gun crew attrition is part and parcel of the reducing firepower of the guns. Simples!

Rob.

Wentworth
09-17-2018, 08:57
Yes thanks Bill.

We visited Mrs Bligh's brother for a day out and visited "Entoyment" where a lot of our chaps game and shop. Then spent two days exploring the Jurassic coast. Picked up a few fossils, some of which are nearly as old as I am. Did the Museum, and then a totally decadent day in Swanage, plus of course the really important part by playing the game of Sails.

Rob.

Rob,
We're about the same age, I believe, so I would locate us in the Cretaceous period....glad you had a good time and BTW -- I'm all for days of decadence !!! :wink:
Bill

Bligh
09-17-2018, 11:00
Rob,
We're about the same age, I believe, so I would locate us in the Cretaceous period....glad you had a good time and BTW -- I'm all for days of decadence !!! :wink:
Bill

About two years difference Bill.
Nothing at all over several millennia.
rob.

Comte de Brueys
09-17-2018, 12:45
Nice ARR, Rob.

So I saw a combat with one of the merchantmen. :clap:

O'Higgins first raking shot was a little bit dissapointing but watching the result, those crew hits were important.

Naharaht
09-17-2018, 22:32
Thank you for the good A.A.R., Rob. :thumbsup:

I am glad that you and Mrs Bligh enjoyed your holiday.

Bligh
09-18-2018, 01:14
Nice ARR, Rob.

So I saw a combat with one of the merchantmen. :clap:

O'Higgins first raking shot was a little bit disappointing but watching the result, those crew hits were important.

Yes the crew hits were the clincher Sven. if you look at the general damage, there was only a whisker between the two ships. It would have been a close run thing.
Rob.

Bligh
09-18-2018, 01:16
Thanks for your comment Dave.
Yes we did indeed have a good holiday, and i got some good photos of cliffs and coves for my future coastline modelling.
Rob.

Capn Duff
09-19-2018, 15:09
Another excellent report Rob, not had chance to play with one of the Indiamen, not surprising as I only got one.
Anyway, enjoyed the report, the Chileans seem to be good shots.

Bligh
09-19-2018, 15:42
More lucky so.s than good shots.
Must be Admiral Cochrane's influence.
Rob.