PDA

View Full Version : Question/Idea for ships run aground

TalkMonkey
09-04-2018, 13:52
Hello all,

I am finding that I am a remarkably inept ship pilot. I have run aground of the shoals and reefs far more times than I care to admit. I will say that I use the advanced rules with planning the next turn's move in the current turn, but, really, there is no excuse for my poor seamanship.

So in lieu of becoming a better navigator, are there any "rules of the house" to re-launch or re-float a grounded ship using another vessel as tug or to use the ship's boats to pull it back into deeper waters? I recognize I would need to purchase or scratch build some jolly boat minis but that seems a more accessible option than learning to avoid the blasted shallows! Once I figure this out, I need to set up a mission to recapture the grounded HMS Victory. Letting her founder in range of the French coastal battery is simply NOT an option...

Any thoughts or direction to an already existent thread would be greatly appreciated.

Bligh
09-04-2018, 14:14
I use ships boats to carry an anchor out and then winch her off. One turn to lower boat one turn to row out a musket range, one turn to drop anchor, and then one turn to winch ship out to the anchor point. If not enough sea room, repeat until there is. Takes a while, but then it serves you right for going aground! Much less hassle than a Court Martial.:wink:
Bligh.

Naharaht
10-03-2018, 10:29
I have designed a few command counters for using a lowering/raising a rowing boat, using a rowing boat, dropping an anchor and using a capstan to winch the ship. What do you think about using them?

TalkMonkey
10-03-2018, 11:31
David, these are fantastic! I was going to give something like this a go, but you beat me to it. Nicely DONE!!!

Bligh
10-03-2018, 12:57
Superbly useful Dave.

Just what was needed.

Will you pop 'em into your Photo album so that we can get a first class copy.

Rob.

Naharaht
10-03-2018, 19:03
I have put them in my photo album called Avatars.

Comte de Brueys
10-03-2018, 21:25
Nice addition to the game, David!

I use ships boats to carry an anchor out and then winch her off. One turn to lower boat one turn to row out a musket range, one turn to drop anchor, and then one turn to winch ship out to the anchor point. If not enough sea room, repeat until there is. Takes a while, but then it serves you right for going aground! Much less hassle than a Court Martial.:wink:
Bligh.

Good advice, too!

Bligh
10-04-2018, 02:39
I have put them in my photo album called Avatars.

Thanks Dave.
Rob.

Bligh
10-04-2018, 03:14
To complement Dave's towing off cards if you also use the boat cards for landings of cutting out parties, here are the cards I used for land actions at Valdivia.

Rob.

TalkMonkey
10-04-2018, 05:27
Rob those are excellent! I love how you used the original ship/fort-log layout to make the cards. These are great!

Comte de Brueys
10-04-2018, 05:52
Nice, what‘s a MATELOT? :question:

TalkMonkey
10-04-2018, 06:48
Nice, what‘s a MATELOT? :question:

Seconded!

Bligh
10-04-2018, 07:19
nounBritish
informal

A sailor.
Example sentences

‘Among the sailors listed by the French were Prussians, Italians, Americans, Portuguese, Danes and one matelot from Halifax (whether or not it's Halifax, Nova Scotia, or Halifax, Yorkshire, isn't clear).’
‘The torpedo broke the destroyer's back, causing her to sink in 15 seconds and thus consigning hundreds of exhausted troops and matelots to their deaths.’
‘TV chiefs are to hold a talent contest to find the best singing sailors, matelots, seamen and ship-hands in the country, and offer them a top music contract by way of a prize.’
‘He was in matelot's uniform, having stayed on with the Royal Navy after the end of the war.’
‘And the skill of sailing is matched in these young modern matelots by the skill of recovery from the capsize.’

Synonyms
seaman, seafarer, seafaring man, mariner

OriginMid 19th century (nautical slang): from French, variant of matenot, from Middle Dutch mattenoot ‘bed companion’, because sailors had to share hammocks in twos.

Bligh
10-04-2018, 07:22
Not an original idea. just took on board one done by a shipmate some time ago and modified it to my own needs.
Could also do with one for Chilean Malitia which were also shipped to bulk up firepower and landings.
Rob.

Bligh
10-04-2018, 07:24
Seconded!

Also just noted your Rep comment Nick.
Thank you very much.
Rob.

TalkMonkey
10-04-2018, 15:07
You fine chaps wouldn’t have any markers or tokens to represent marine or landing crews would you? Maybe a launch or ship’s boat while we are at it?

Bligh
10-04-2018, 15:22
I use actual small boats from Langtons Nick.
You can see the Marines actually landing in this picture.
Rob.

https://sailsofglory.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=39952&d=1537986801