PDA

View Full Version : Captain's Experience

Dobbs
07-17-2018, 17:02
I have been working on a system for creating a captain character for ships and keeping track of his skills and experience. It is not quite ready for prime time, but I thought I'd share it here. The idea is to create a gaming situation where you can follow the development of a character, like Jack Aubrey or H. Hornblower. The two files here are the rules and a sample of a character sheet for a Burden 1 vessel. Any feedback is appreciated.

Naharaht
07-18-2018, 00:05
Could you please include a sheet of simple instructions for thick people like me on how to use these tables?

When you have the final version, may I suggest that you submit them to the Files section.

Bligh
07-18-2018, 02:07
Looks interesting but as David says Dobbs, I need more explanation of how the experience is recorded on the chart before I can comment further. One observation which i may have missed, but did you have any system for accounting for wounds received?
Rob.

Dobbs
07-20-2018, 20:01
I did not include wounds on the character sheet, though that is a good idea. In posting this, I forgot the overlap with other rules changes I have made. In researching encounters from this time period, I determined that there should be a separate Chase game if you will, which has turns in hours. I created this, and the Bluffing and Social Skill abilities play into it.

Talent and Resolve determine how many potential captain or crew cards a captain/ship can potentially have.

I will have to elaborate more later. It was a lot clearer in my head...:takecover:

Bligh
07-21-2018, 04:17
It does sound as if there is great potential there for a great campaign with really rounded out characters Dobbs.
I will await more of your revelations with the greatest anticipation.
Rob.