PDA

View Full Version : Best ships for limited means at this point

James Maddox
06-20-2018, 08:59
So I just got the starter pack, which is awesome, and I want to get more ships but I could probably only justify getting a few more ships. Maybe a couple per month. I want to max out my fun to money ratio. What ships should I be looking to add to give me the most play options right now?

I've never tried solo campaigning. I'm looking into it.

I can do one-on-one fighting.

I might have a lead on getting a group together.

TexaS
06-20-2018, 12:55
I recommend the SGN105 Hebe class frigate.

http://www.aresgames.eu/games/sails-of-glory-line/sails-of-glory-ship-packs/40-guns-hebe-class-frigates

It's a good size frigate and a good fit for the game's mechanics. It can face the frigates from the starter and with a little help can face a larger ship like the 74s in the starter.

Dobbs
06-20-2018, 17:25
I agree with Jonas, a Hebe is a very flexible ship.

If you embrace my ideas about switching the card decks for the Amazons and Concordes, and giving the Amazons a Burden of 3, it opens up more possibilities.

I also suggest subtracting -1 from the numerical damage for the Amazons and Concords, to represent their 12 pdrs, as compared to the 18 pdrs of the Hebes. It makes a Concorde vs. Amazon fight much more intense! With the switched decks and the Amazon's increased Burden, the Concorde becomes agile and fast while the Amazon is the slugger. The -1 for reduced damage makes them receive the size of damage they were designed to receive. Battles feel less like who gets the first shot.

irishman
06-27-2018, 05:50
@dobbs: Can you go into a bit more detail around this balancing idea and the -1 damage? I am new to the game.

Dobbs
06-27-2018, 06:45
@dobbs: Can you go into a bit more detail around this balancing idea and the -1 damage? I am new to the game.

The -1 to damage is subtracted from any numerical damage in a chit draw. All other damage remains the same. This is to reflect the smaller punch of the 12 pounder cannons that made up the broadside of a 32 gun frigate. All other ships in the game use 18 pounders or better. I don't add anything for larger guns. This was just my solution to make the smaller ships play better. I subtract -2, and halve any crew hits from broadside damage for the Sloops of War, since they mount 6 pounders. Using this method makes small ship combat much less like flipping a coin.

Dobbs
06-27-2018, 06:54
I also switched the maneuver decks between the Terpsichore (all Amazon class frigates) and Concorde class frigates. French frigates were considered to be faster sailers, and this change does that. I increased the Burden of the Amazons because historically they seem to be about the same size as Concordes.

Bligh
06-27-2018, 12:46
Good to see you back in port Irishman. i hope you can find all that you need on the site as it has expanded some. If not just yell out and one of us should be able to help you.
Rob.