PDA

View Full Version : Building a GHQ Model

Coog
07-15-2012, 14:08
As I have said in a previous post, I found that building and painting a highly detailed ship model was beyond my skill and patience. I decided to go with a model that looked nice enough on the game board but easy to do. Here is my simple method of building a GHQ model. The model is a 32-gun British frigate.

I lay out the parts.

I have found that the holes in the hull for the masts are usually too small for the masts. Using an awl for an x acto knife, I tap it into the exsisting holes then wiggle around until the holes are large enough for the masts to easily fit into them. You can drill the holes if you have the appropriate tools or use a small nail in place of the awl. I then trim any flash off all the parts and file the bottom of the hull to make it smooth and flat. The fore and main masts are usually the same and you will want to shorten the bottom of the fore mast a little.

I then do the pre-painting assembly. On most GHQ models you need to glue the spanker to the mizzen mast and the stern to the rear of the hull.

I spray paint the sails/masts, bowsprit, and a ship's boat that will placed on the deck between the fore and main masts white. It usually takes a few coats.

I spray paint the deck tan.

After the deck is dry, place a piece of masking tape over the top of the hull to cover the deck but leaving as much as possible of the side of the hull exposed.

Spray paint the rest of the hull black, or whatever other color you find appropriate.

After your hull is dry, hand paint the edges covered by the tape and any other parts necessary. One detail I do like to paint is the guns and I put a dab of black paint on them.

Assemble the model, placing the ship's boat on the deck and inserting the bowsprit and masts.

To finish off my model I mount it on a base cut out of matte board and paint it to match the felt I use for the ocean. I also add a flag, like the ones found in my flag files, to the spanker.

Any other details you feel comfortable in doing can be added to this model.

The Royal Hajj
07-17-2012, 01:29
A nice simple way to knock out some ships in short order!

Bligh
07-25-2012, 09:53
Great little "How to" for those of us who are novices at painting ships.

Thanks Bobby.
Bligh.

Bumblie3
07-30-2012, 09:57
Thanks for the Tutorial, Coog.

bumblie3

Capt P
07-30-2012, 15:59
Good post on painting ships for us non painters.

crashx
07-30-2012, 21:01
Very nice Bobby, thanks!!!

Blackrose
07-31-2012, 11:15
Nice tutorial. Having never made a sailing ship model, this will be very useful.
Karl

Green flash
03-11-2013, 05:56
Nice info,thanks.

Jack Aubrey
03-11-2013, 06:14
Good Post, thank you...

Sea Gull
03-11-2013, 12:40
I notice you have my favourite tool for dealing with sailing ship models in the second photo at the bottom. Yep, the one with the black handle. :mad:

Having said that I've found some old models that survived the last purge and maybe I'll give it another go. What have I got to lose besides my temper.:confused::rolleyes:

7eat51
03-12-2013, 14:21
This summer will witness my first foray into model building in 35+ years. I will have an assortment of tools highlighted by Chris ready at hand.

BonhommeRichard
03-12-2013, 14:29
that is great info for me since i will be diving into my first engagement in building here soon thank you very much

Sea Gull
03-13-2013, 14:00
I've found two old ships that survived my last failed attempt purge of many years ago. One is a Skytrex NS27 Athenian in a verey dusty box with a 2.50 price tag on it. The other is a bit bigger, 3 masts, 3 decks and ... well that's about it. I've no idea what it is or which nation it belongs to.

I've still got my hammer so I think I may give it a go once more with these two victims. Having been inspired by the fine examples of modelling and painting shown by members of the Anchorage, I'm prepared to bite the bullet once more. :o Let's see how it all turns out.

csadn
03-13-2013, 16:42
I've still got my hammer

Why is it I am now picturing you looking like this:

http://static.tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pub/images/clarksonhammer_7186.jpg ? :)

Tommy Z
03-13-2013, 17:04
I have a few of the GHQ ships from years past. Never did get a chance to assemble or paint them. Thanks for the tips.

7eat51
03-13-2013, 19:07

Ha. That's great.

Sea Gull
03-14-2013, 01:54

Looks like some people know me so well already. :rolleyes:

I've discovered the other ship, it's the Revolutionaire, a 120 gun 1st rate. Let's see what she is by the time I've finished with her. :p