PDA

View Full Version : On This Day 15 June

Coog
07-15-2012, 00:20
Napoleon embarked aboard the brig Épervier early in the morning of 15 July 1815 and made his way out to the 74-gun HMS Bellerophon under the command of Captain Frederick Lewis Maitland. On 14 July Maitland had been given a letter informing him that Napoleon would come out to the Bellerophon the following morning to surrender. As he approached, the 74-gun Superb, flying Vice-Admiral Hotham's flag, was sighted approaching. Concerned that the brig might not reach Bellerophon before the Superb arrived, and that consequently Hotham would take over and receive Napoleon himself, Maitland sent Bellerophon's barge to collect the former Emperor and transfer him to the ship. At some point between 6 and 7 am, the barge pulled alongside Bellerophon and General Henri Gatien Bertrand climbed aboard, followed by Napoleon. The marines came to attention, and Napoleon walked to the quarterdeck, took his hat off to Maitland and in French announced "I am come to throw myself on the protection of your Prince and your laws." Maitland bowed in response. With the former emperor in custody aboard a British warship, the Napoleonic Wars were finally over. To maritime historian David Cordingly, this moment was Bellerophon's "crowning glory [when] six weeks after the battle of Waterloo, ... Napoleon, trapped in Rochefort, surrendered to the captain of the ship that had dogged his steps for more than twenty years."

Comte de Brueys
07-15-2012, 14:08
L'Empereur asked for exile in England, but he wasn't allowed to leave the ship.

Sent him to St. Helena, instead.

csadn
07-15-2012, 15:54
Um -- if this is 15 July, why does the subject line say "15 June"?

Coog
07-15-2012, 16:16
Um -- if this is 15 July, why does the subject line say "15 June"?

Fixed.

Comte de Brueys
07-15-2012, 23:53
Maybe the Admiral could change the thread headline if you send him a PM.;)

Berthier
07-16-2012, 04:16
They wouldn't let Napoleon come on shore because he would have then be subject to British Law. He had supporters in England (yes really) who were prepared to go to through all legal means to allow him to be "imprisoned" there, presumably under house arrest, rather than be exiled to St.Helena. Needless to say that sitaution would have given the Government many sleepless nights for years to come. By never leaving the ship, Bellerophon, he remained under the legal control of the RN and was not subject to the laws of the land. At least i think that's how it went, it's been a long time since I read all this last!