PDA

View Full Version : LETS RALLY ROUND THE ENSIGN BOYS

Captain Kiwi
03-06-2018, 07:21
It is two yeas since I split my main allegiance from WOG to SOG and in that time have attended every game show, Doncaster events as well as participating in a monthly battle with a certain Capt. Bligh.

The main point about the above statement is the lack off both activity and visibility of the bulk of the members. It cannot be due to lack of numbers by going through the UK members list for SOG It appears we are in fine fettle as far as numbers are concerned. So where are you.

Game day tables are like the Marie Celeste compared to our compatriots in the air. Actual missions be them SOG organised or just between friends fellow/members are non existent, as are mission reports and feedback.

Can we blame geography with regards to shows maybe as to return travel to one day show is not viable for some members. However if members were to look at the members list you will see that the number of members that actually live in the same regions is quiet large.

Also it seems that the Number of AI missions being undertaken is dropping this is reflected in the lack of reports posted.

SOG will not survive with out members being active I have witnessed first hand the demise of wargames clubs due to the very things I have mentioned the biggest reason is always apathy, everyone knew what the issues were but everyone thought it was some one else's problem to sort out.

Believe me it does not fall on the administrators of SOG to solve they work hard enough we are a club and every club member has duty to have an input if they do not believe that then I may ask why are you in it.

From my perspective when I joined sails there was not enough activity to learn the game nor did I feel confident to undertake the AI missions. but thanks to Capt Bligh and the monthly battles and discussions we have I am ready for my next journey, you never know one day we may play advanced rules.

Find out if there are members in your area or nearby and set up regular games myself and Capt Bligh as said meet once a month rotating the venue between homes the home side sets the scenario.

Lets be an active club not an apathetic one both ships are on the horizon only you can choose which one to crew

Andy (Captain Kiwi)

ArkansasChuck
03-06-2018, 07:38
Andy, I’m brand new to the game but hoping to get a strong group of players here locally so we can start a monthly club! That is my goal. My hope. We shall see if I am able to make it happen. My home is open to people once I get to know them. So I’m hoping to have some new players over the coming weeks!!!

Wentworth
03-06-2018, 08:39
Once I learn the rules well enough, I hope to propose games at the Schenectady Wargamers game day weekends, perhaps Council of the Five Nations, perhaps at my own Hudson Valley Rumble in June, and Chris and I (fast.git) are talking about a meet up with invitees at The Portal in Connecticut. I think the issue where I live is visibility -- people know about Wings, but are unfamiliar with Sails.

Naharaht
03-06-2018, 22:49
I am hoping to attend Hammerhead on 28th April at Newark but I shall probably want to split my time between Sails and Wings of Glory.

Speedwell lass
03-07-2018, 01:37
Although I am more often 'looking on', Andy has nailed the problem (to the mast, maybe) in that both games thrive when participants are enthusiastic. This is a wonderful 'miniature' world but needs support to keep it afloat!:
Sorry about the puns, I have been with Bligh for too long and it rubs off.:salute:
Speedwell Lass.

Captain Kiwi
03-07-2018, 03:00
Thanks for the support puns are great know what you mean about Bligh

Capt Kiwi

Bligh
03-07-2018, 03:10
Cheeky Lady Bligh!

I must say that I concur with what Andy has said to a large extent. When I see how many shipmates view the posts each day and often download files lovingly and time consumingly compiled by other members, and realize that they have not even bothered to say hi in answer to my welcoming message never mind thanks! It makes me wonder where they were dragged up. Thank goodness that the few, the happy few, the band of brothers, do put in the effort to keep the site alive with their sparkling wit, repartee and interesting knowledgeable posts. To all those I give my thanks. Also to those who trudge to the shows week in week out for years. Usually the same old sea dogs I see at every show, with the odd new face now and then. Those of you who don't attend are not aware of what you are missing. Come on fellows grab some of the action before it is all gone. As Kiwi so rightly says. Apathy kills shows and on line sites alike.
A few more comments and rep points on articles and AARs alike may provoke more to be written. There is nothing worse than taking hours playing a game, then more hours doing the write up just to be ignored when you post it. if you want proof just go and look at the AAR's that have viewers aplenty, but not a single comment on the game.
So come on shipmates, help to set your site and the game alive again.
Rob.

Capn Duff
03-07-2018, 08:46
Totally agree with the sentiments and I wish I could do more, the intention is there I assure but circumstances do stop a lot of what I would like to do.
However point taken about posts and I shall endevour to reply to as many posts as possible and that I have something to comment on.

Captain Kiwi
03-08-2018, 03:39
HI this is true not every one can give as much as others but by your very response means that you have the courtesy to reply a point Bligh made in his post. The latest numbers show 56 members read the post 7 replied. As legal people say I rest my case.

Cant Kiwi

Capn Duff
03-08-2018, 04:24
Just remember though, the count on each thread does not mean individuals, the count is increased everytime someone goes into the thread, so at least three of the count is yourself and for me its also three so that is 6 from the 57 entries, so the actual number reading the thread could be as low as 20 or less, but that is still a number and only seven individuals who replied.
Now to go and read some AAR :)

Dobbs
03-08-2018, 06:30
At a dance, there are alway plenty of wallflowers. Remember, if they are just watching it doesn't mean they're not enjoying the dance.

The best we can do is share the things that interest us and encourage some folks to step away from the wall.

David Manley
03-08-2018, 13:39
I try to make it a policy not to say anything if I don't have anything constructive to add. That said I haven't read that much ere since life is a nightmare at the moment and I tend to focus only on threads that look like they are a discussion to which I could usefully add. Its not just here though, I have the same issues throughout my online wargaming existence :(

Union Jack
03-14-2018, 10:45
There are doers and there are lookers there are those that run games at shows (Capn Duff and Ensign Patch especially) that keep the game in the public eye. I for one have been absent not only from this site but Wings for over 2 months putting in an odd comment here and there but with long periods between. Having been a prolific poster on both sites it pains me not have maintained that input but life gets in the way.

That said there are enough to drop an odd comment here and there to help keep this site alive. Some of us have tried to run campaigns over the last 5 years! Yes that's 5 years the solo capaigns have been running. It has been down to a sterling few to keep these going but without the support of others it can seem an onerous task at times when left to two or three and now to one, to keep things afloat (pun intended).

The solo game briefings and AAR's can be used for so much more than just solo games ot for perusal only. They can be used as the basis for multi player games and hopefully give ideas to clubs and friendly get togethers for some game ideas.

However I wholeheartedly agree with Captain Kiwi, Bligh and all the others who have posted without the support of the Anchorage membership and their input in whatever way ( be it a comment on a post/thread/game etc) this site will gradually loose its headway and as the waterways silt up stagnate and die.

I will try and post at least once a week and try and have some input into the Solo Campaign for 2018. Let others try and do the same. It is our website, we use it so support it.

Neil

Bligh
03-14-2018, 11:23
Great to hear from you Neil. Neil.
What do you think of my effort for a March Solo game. I have left the options as open as I could.
I just sailed mine, but will not post until any other interested party has had a chance at it.
Rob.

Union Jack
03-14-2018, 13:27
Rob it is another magnificent example of a game that can be used 1 on 1, or a fleet action solo or multi player. It is a wonder that over 5 years and some near 40+ briefings that no 2 are similar and can be played in many different ways for the enjoyment of others.

Bligh
03-14-2018, 14:44
Just got a jolly good bunch of script writers I guess.
Rob.

Union Jack
03-14-2018, 14:51
Would you like me to have a go at one?

Bligh
03-14-2018, 14:58
Goes without saying Neil, but only if you feel you can fit it in. I don't want to pressure you.
Rob.

Union Jack
03-15-2018, 03:15
I'll write one and post it somewhere in the mix over the next few months. Are we trying to keep them sequencial story wise or just one off's?

Bligh
03-15-2018, 04:11
I would like to do three of each before the year's end Neil. three Letters of Mark, and three Fleet actions with this one as an either or to kick it all off.
Rob.

Union Jack
03-15-2018, 10:29
OK. I'll do a fleet action one and post it next month or before.