PDA

View Full Version : Flags question

ArkansasChuck
02-24-2018, 14:34
Hello friends,

Okay I知 embarrassed to admit, I知 not sure what the name of these flags are. Please forgive my ignorance. I知 learning as I go. I would like to make some of these flags for my ships because the ships really do look better with them! Is there a HOW TO somewhere on the Forum?

Here are the awesome little flags I致e found from your amazing collections, so these are NOT my photos.

Very talented folks here! How do you make them look so perfect? They look like they are waving in the wind! How do you achieve that WIND / WAVE effect?

Thank you so much for your help!

TexaS
02-25-2018, 01:13
They're called pennants.

I use paper that has the flag/pennant printed so if you fold it over it shows on both sides. I then glue it around a string/mast using white wood glue, PVA. First align the edges carefully and then roll it this and that way around a pin. I often use the handle of a fine paintbrush.

https://sailsofglory.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=17510

Bligh
02-25-2018, 01:27
These flags by Vol in the files section may be useful Chuck.

https://sailsofglory.org/downloads.php?do=file&id=8&

Rob.

Capn Duff
02-25-2018, 02:12
Just to add my 2d

I print out the flags on sticky backed paper, cut out then "try" to fold in half matching the ends together and pressso both halves stick leaving a small loop at the mast end.
Loop over the mast head and there you go.
You may have to add a bit of pva to mast.
If you cant cut to the printed shape, like me , once in position paint over the pennent.
Most can be painted just the Spanish ones I find difficult, bad eyes... thats my excuse and sticking to it :bleh::thumbsup:

To give the wind effect I just hold near the mast then taking hold of the tip fold/bend the tip towards the mast in a "Consertina" fashion, normally a couple of bends

Capn Duff
02-25-2018, 02:16
My examples are your Pic 1 bottom or last pic

TexaS
02-25-2018, 08:18
For pennants like the French I usually only cut the shape of one side and the top of the other. Then I make sure that if the sides don't match it's the lager one that is outside the other on both sides. Then I cut it and fold.

PVA glue is a little forgiving immediately after you've folded it. It can be adjusted a little.

Nightmoss
02-25-2018, 09:13
Chuck, the top three photos are pennants on my ships. The top two are pennants made from brass sheeting that's been primed and painted. The folds in the sails come when you carefully wrap the brass around a tubular object. Third photo is one of the pennants and flags purchased from Langton miniatures (although those probably came via Waterloo Minis here in the states). Being one of my earliest ship paints I should have cut beyond the black outline so only the white of the pennants and flag would show. That was long ago and when I first started out.