PDA

View Full Version : Sailing angles and broadsides

twsl
01-30-2018, 00:46
I've spent the last couple of days drawing up replacement ship base inserts and measuring all sorts of distances of the original paper.
I'm trying to make it easier for any additional ships I want to rename and keeping them all looking the same.

While looking into the details I've made some observations that I'd like some outside input on.

Let me make it clear from the outset this is probably bordering on house rules and I don't expect my ships will see another ship belonging to someone else.

First up.... Sailing Angles

Over many years and different rule sets it's been drilled in (whether true or not) that the majority of ships could sail to about 60 degrees to the wind and elite sailors could manage closer to 45 degrees.

I noticed on the smaller ships especially that these angles are even more way out.

The number on the graph is the distance in mm's for each of the ships. The ones that are blank are due to arrive this week and I'll add them to this chart when they get here.
This is only the right side of the card that shows the comparisons the stern orange/green are about the same with one exception.

Is the differences just a way to differ the individual ships from one another or would it really matter if they were all the same and still controlled with their appropriate card decks.

What I was thinking was with the proposed sailing edge on the chart was to have the new blue area treated as red for normal crews but count as orange for elite crews at maybe a positive of the sailors lacking training optional rule cost. Or I could just leave them as is and design and print a minimum 18 different cards.

As far as broadsides go its a similar thing, most of the angles are the same just differ in the spread based on the length and width of the model with that one exception again.

For those that haven't guessed yet the exception is the Meregildos, whether because it's shorter than it should be if you look at its base card it seems to be at a disadvantage in both wind and gun angles and yet is the most point value ship to date.

When the base cards are all finished I intend to make them available to everyone or anyone that wants to use them.

I'll post up some actual progress pics after I make the final decision on which way to go.

Dobbs
01-30-2018, 05:14
Hi Alan! I see we think along the same lines.

If you look under "Tweaked Sailing Angles" in the house rules section, you'll see my interpretation of more realistic angles. These have been used in a number of battles now, and IMO capture the feel of square rigger sailing more accurately than the stock cards. I'd love to hear what you think of them.

As to the 60 degrees, there was a limit to how far the yards of a square rigger could be swung that determined how close to the wind they could sail. A good crew would maybe get a little closer, but speed in tacking would have been a more noticeable difference. I am compiling an Experience House Rule that I will shortly upload that reflects this.

Dobbs
01-30-2018, 05:14
I chose not to modify the firing arcs. I was able to rationalize them by imagining the subtle shifting and shimmying that a ship might do on a scale not visible from the play board.

DeRuyter
01-30-2018, 11:43
I chose not to modify the firing arcs. I was able to rationalize them by imagining the subtle shifting and shimmying that a ship might do on a scale not visible from the play board.

If I remember correctly this was par of the design reasoning behind the wide arcs. Also it reflects that shots are only taken at the end of movement vs. at any time during the move. A built in op-fire if you will.

On the sailing angles as Dobbs correctly points out square rigged ships are limited by rig itself to no closer than 60 degrees to the wind and that would be for a well trimmed ship at that. A schooner or other fore and aft rigged ship could sail closer to 45 degrees. A well trained crew makes a difference in the speed of sail evolutions and maneuver (gunnery as well) rather than much difference in the sailing profile of a ship.

I agree that the angles are generous in SoG and I am sure there was a design philosophy behind that as well.

Dobbs
01-30-2018, 14:54
I agree that the angles are generous in SoG and I am sure there was a design philosophy behind that as well.

My thought on that is that most modern individuals would not find it a fun game trying to deal with what was reality 200 years ago. I like that the basic game introduces folks to the concept without the pain and suffering of trying to be more historical. That's what house rules are for. My friends and I are different, and revel in tedium. We had a game the other day, racing 1st rates dead to windward. With the modified sailing angles, each tack was painful.

I have made up some fore and aft cards that reflect the 45 degree angle for schooners. The angles play quite well and showcase the advantage to windward that schooners had.

twsl
01-30-2018, 19:05
I think I'll leave the sail angles as per originals.
Does anyone know of a historical reason as to why the Spanish 1st rates Sail and
Firing arcs are not more like the British and French equivalents ?

Bligh
01-31-2018, 01:52
If anyone can help answer that one it is probably DB. Alan. he had more to do with advising Ares than anyone. It could, however just be a whim of the design team or an overlooked error.
If there is ant substance in the actual reason historically Dave Manley will almost certainly know.
Rob.