PDA

View Full Version : Constitution 1798 vs HMS Concorde & HMS Unite (during testing)

Aaron
11-20-2017, 11:38
Was doing some software testing and wanted to show an AAR of subject ships.

Disclaimer: Only 'A' deck cards were used and there was a grappling bug mid session but the point here is to show what this software is capable of for solo play or play by forum.

Constitution is spotted by HMS Concorde and Unite and continues ahead full sails to even the odds on the first exhange

Closing the distance...

Opening shots between lead ships with damages shown in red (HMS Unite has a leak)

Closing in and reloading..

Next exchange of broadsides causes a fire on USS Constitution.

HMS Concorde smells victory and proceeds to move upwind

Constitution lines up a rake with the rear batt...

Concorde loses a hull and a crew..

Concorde heads into the wind and misses with the rake...

HMS Concorde fills the sails again as she looks on ahead as Unite takes a beating...

continue on next post..

Aaron
11-20-2017, 12:05
Heated battle.. not looking good for Unite with 2 Hull left.. but wait Constitution loses the mizzen mast and springs a leak!

Constitution veers into Unite and they become entangled.. guns crew to the top. Pumping out the water will have to wait but the leak repair is under way.

Grappling Attacks between ships

Unite striker her colors and USS Constitution is under sail again (bug caused the constitution to eliminate more crew than it should have)

HMS Concorde veers hard and unleashes her starboard broadsides.. USS Constitution loses her main mast.
Concorde loses a crew and hull but comes out better in the exchange.

USS Constitution moves leeward in hopes of some time for repairs... crews to the pumps and bring out the spare mast.

USS Constitution manages to rig up the main but is out of additional spares. The chase is on, it is only a matter of time before HMS Concorde catches up.

The captain of the HMS Concorde promised double rations to the gunner who takes down the new mast... double rations it is!

USS Constitution swings around to fire the loaded cannons while Concorde does the same.

HMS Concorde pivots around to her freshly loaded cannons and fires..
USS Constitution strikers here colors and eventually sinks to the bottom

The butchers bill.. victory to the British.

Bligh
11-20-2017, 12:24
Looking very good Aaron.
Rob.

TexaS
11-20-2017, 12:58
There's another bug... You never get a rake with anything but the full broadside. The seventh picture shouldn't have been a rake since rear batteries can't rake.

Aaron
11-20-2017, 13:33
There's another bug... You never get a rake with anything but the full broadside. The seventh picture shouldn't have been a rake since rear batteries can't rake.

Wow I have overlooked that rule entirely. Thanks for the feedback!

Also some ommisions as I didn't state it but some ships did repair normal hull damage.

TexaS
11-20-2017, 13:44
I had missed that too early on.

It's looking very good, Aaron.

Capn Duff
11-20-2017, 15:14
I like the look of this very much, is it only available for pc?

Aaron
11-20-2017, 16:34
I like the look of this very much, is it only available for pc?

Yes, only PC for now. This was just a hobby project of mine to replace the ship boards to save table space. Now it seems to have saved the table completely. I thought it would be useful to play the game during times when getting together to play isn't feasible. I want to try a play by forum here soon after a few known bugs are resolved. This could be a tool to bridge the gap during the week.

The software is available for download in the general forum section (current version 0.2 (game supplement only) and 0.29 (includes the virtual table/ships but the HMI is very rough at the moment, like embarrassing bad). The current focus is on getting rules properly implemented and ship graphics/effects acceptable).

:thumbsup:

Dobbs
11-20-2017, 20:06
This all looks very good, but isn't the point to play with little plastic ships?

Killick
11-21-2017, 00:23
Good AAR Aaron
I supose it is each to their own Dobbs, I like the smell of plastic in the morning (especially when it's a brand new order)

Aaron
11-21-2017, 02:00
Good AAR Aaron
I supose it is each to their own Dobbs, I like the smell of plastic in the morning (especially when it's a brand new order)

Yes the smell of new plastic and a new ship to add to the fleet is the best. Seeing the table crowded with ships and cardboard and the smile or surprised look on your friends face is priceless.

However, an app does lend itself to allow quicker gameplay by virtue of automation of the rules (no measuring distance, removes the fiddliness of moving ships, and setup is fast and cleanup in nonexistent.) The biggest appeal of an app for me is the ability to play against a remote player(s) and the unlimited table space (no limit on scenarios).

If I had to choose I would play with the plastic every time but I have family obligations (kids aged 6 and 4 and a new baby on the way). The plastic won't be seeing the table because they wouldn't survive gales of curious and careless hands. :shock:

Diamondback
11-22-2017, 16:45
Personally, my ideal would be a hybrid system, something like a Kickstarter a while back, with a computer determining position where your miniature goes and marking it so unsteady/shaky hands or bad eyes are factored out and it's a pure contest of skill and some luck. The ideal table for this would be something liker the "pool table" in the palace on Hawaii 5-O or at OSP on NCIS: LA.

Killick
11-22-2017, 23:54
Yes the smell of new plastic and a new ship to add to the fleet is the best. Seeing the table crowded with ships and cardboard and the smile or surprised look on your friends face is priceless.

However, an app does lend itself to allow quicker gameplay by virtue of automation of the rules (no measuring distance, removes the fiddliness of moving ships, and setup is fast and cleanup in nonexistent.) The biggest appeal of an app for me is the ability to play against a remote player(s) and the unlimited table space (no limit on scenarios).

If I had to choose I would play with the plastic every time but I have family obligations (kids aged 6 and 4 and a new baby on the way). The plastic won't be seeing the table because they wouldn't survive gales of curious and careless hands. :shock:

Having had 6 children myself I know where you are coming from Aaron. I have been fortunate in always having some where to store my models and somewhere to game. Now my problem is space where to store everything after all these years of collecting! Even though all the children have let home.

Bligh
11-23-2017, 01:07
Ah! yes Aaron i remember it well.
Unlike Alistair though, as bedrooms became available I just started storing my models in them where their toys had been.
Rob.

Aaron
11-23-2017, 07:03
Ah! yes Aaron i remember it well.
Unlike Alistair though, as bedrooms became available I just started storing my models in them where their toys had been.
Rob.

Hah yes it is a challenge!

By the way, I've added flags, sloops, SOLs, and a crude island to test things (no attempt at art here, yet). I need to fix the firing arcs on the other ship sizes. Progress!

Naharaht
11-24-2017, 00:15
Great work so far, Aaron! Keep it up!:thumbsup: