PDA

View Full Version : Hello Gents, I have a few questions

Aaron
10-27-2017, 08:05
Disclaimer: I'm new to the forum and also new to the Napoleonic era. (And I've never sailed before)

I've currently programming for a hobby a game which aids play in SoG (love war games and history). You can follow my post in the main discussion area about this topic but what I am looking for are small historical details on the following:

1) Did ships tow their longboats/row/or lifeboats (dunno the accurate name) behind the ship (like in master and commander) during battles? If so I was going to add this detail to the ships on the map during battle.

2) For SOL and frigates, did the yards stay squared with the ship or did they orient the yards to best hit the wind. I plan on moving the these yards around if so.

3) For the spanker sail (term?) how was this used. Was it used as a rudder to keep the ship heading ideal?

Thanks in advance for the help!

I will have follow up questions as the application matures (I plan on adding regional maps, coastlines, fleets, ports, frigate captain patrols, etc) so I will have questions on fleshing these out with some degree of historical accuracy.)

beta sample:

Bligh
10-27-2017, 12:32
Disclaimer: I'm new to the forum and also new to the Napoleonic era. (And I've never sailed before)

I've currently programming for a hobby a game which aids play in SoG (love war games and history). You can follow my post in the main discussion area about this topic but what I am looking for are small historical details on the following:

1) Did ships tow their longboats/row/or lifeboats (dunno the accurate name) behind the ship YES (like in master and commander) during battles? If so I was going to add this detail to the ships on the map during battle.

2) For SOL and frigates, did the yards stay squared with the ship or did they orient the yards to best hit the wind.ORIENTATE I plan on moving the these yards around if so.

3) For the spanker sail (term?) how was this used. Was it used as a rudder to keep the ship heading ideal? CHECKS AND BALANCE WITH THE JIBS AND FORE STAYSAIL if hoisted.

Thanks in advance for the help!

I will have follow up questions as the application matures (I plan on adding regional maps, coastlines, fleets, ports, frigate captain patrols, etc) so I will have questions on fleshing these out with some degree of historical accuracy.)

beta sample:

Aaron
11-05-2017, 09:50
Thank you for the reply!