PDA

View Full Version : Split release for Wave 4

Naharaht
09-26-2017, 21:38
According to the Ares Games website Upcoming page the Wave 4 ships are going to be release in two batches - the 34-guns Mahonesa class Frigates and the 64-guns Ardent/ Intrepid/ Inflexible Ships-of-the-line in September followed by the 80-guns Bucentaure/Tonnant Ships-of-the-Line and the Bonhomme Richard / Ex-East Indiamen in October.
http://www.aresgames.eu/upcoming-products

However, since September is nearly gone without any sign of the first two classes of ship, what do we believe?

Incidentally, has anyone seen any evidence of the re-release of the Starter Sets, yet?

twsl
09-27-2017, 01:14
I did notice a few more starter sets appeared last time I did an ebay search recently.

My not so local store had a 2nd hand one with a price tag of about what I paid for my last new one.

RivalSky is supposed to be having some on the way I believe along with previous ship releases.

I really wish Ares was more open and forthcoming on information on reasons behind delays,
and/or if reported issues being fixed?

It would certainly make the waiting a lot more bearable.

Diamondback
09-27-2017, 01:38
Alan, welcome to one of my great frustrations from the inside... I gave them a tool to address this ("Scotty's Law"*), and it seems to have seen only limited use.
James T. Kirk: Mr. Scott. Have you always multiplied your repair estimates by a factor of four?
Montgomery Scott: Certainly, sir. How else can I keep my reputation as a miracle worker?

Killick
09-27-2017, 01:58
That's bad news as my orders contains ships from both waves so I will not get any till the last wave is released. As Snoppy would say "foiled again curse you red baron"

Bligh
09-27-2017, 02:35
Could well be another late Christmas present then!
As you say DB, after the release of the ships earlier this year, I was not expecting the wave four until next spring. Then the wonderful news of another release this year. Far better for Ares to have broadcast a Spring 18 release and then brought them out in November. We would all have marvelled at their early arrival, rather than be disappointed as each month passes without the promise being made good.Half full soon becomes half empty in these circumstances.

Obviously despite your good advice, and their catastrophic stumble at the first hurdle with the Kickstarter fiasco, (of which we are still feeling the aftershock) they have obviously learned nothing about good marketing stratergy.
Rob.

Capn Duff
09-27-2017, 13:10
I also noticed, as did David, the split release date.
I supose its a case they are coming............ honest guv

Comte de Brueys
09-27-2017, 23:20
So let's wait...:takecover:

TexaS
09-28-2017, 01:19
I only wish that would be due to fixing the fault of mixing up spankers on those two delayed ships.

I wouldn't bet on it though.

Dobbs
09-28-2017, 07:33
I only wish that would be due to fixing the fault of mixing up spankers on those two delayed ships.

I wouldn't bet on it though.

I just know you're right! The overall delay was for fixing the headsails and gave Ares a chance to recast the ships in a scale that matches Waves 1 and 2, and the later release takes care of the switched spankers....

TexaS
09-28-2017, 08:29
I just know you're right! The overall delay was for fixing the headsails and gave Ares a chance to recast the ships in a scale that matches Waves 1 and 2, and the later release takes care of the switched spankers....

That is fantastic news for me! My faith in Ares will be fully restored (...when I see it)!

Diamondback
09-28-2017, 20:32
Don't hold your breath, guys... despite my showing exactly how off they were and why, Ares' new engineer seems obstinate about plunging headlong into the Scale Change Abyss.

TexaS
09-29-2017, 00:46
This is the inverse of the GW scale creep. 25mm to 28mm to 32mm.

SeaDog7
09-29-2017, 11:06
The split release for Wave 4 was just confirmed on Facebook by Ares. They are showing the British 64s and the Spanish Mahonesa frigates being released on October 13. I was really looking forward to getting my hands on Bonhomme Richard, but I guess I'll just have to wait a little longer. I am going to grab most of this next release however.

Naharaht
09-30-2017, 00:45
The Upcoming page on the Ares website now has all four classes of ships due for release in October.

Capn Duff
09-30-2017, 02:02
In brackets 13th US release for the 64's and Spanish frigates, so we will be waiting a bit longer unless ordered through the aa store

Bligh
09-30-2017, 02:53
Right on Chris.
Even from the AA store Keith will have to wait for his delivery from the Distributor. Then sort out his stock and dispatch the goods. It takes about eight to ten days to cross the pond and then, however long a large parcel is detained by HMC. Delivery to the local Sorting Office of Parcel farce, and notification for collection. If Ares stick to the date of release I should get mine in time for Eileen to wrap it up for Christmas.:happy:
Rob.

HMS Goliath
09-30-2017, 13:13
Personally, while I am waiting for all of them with interest, I'm particularly salivating for the Agamemnons. I'm planning on attempting to razee one into HMS Indefatigable (my favorite historical ship.)

Bligh
09-30-2017, 13:18
I think there will be several of those sold for that particular alteration Robert.
We should get some rather interesting photos out of that one.
Rob.

HMS Goliath
09-30-2017, 13:35
It's going to be a sticky situation given the small size of our ships but (not having seen the model Agamemnon yet) I believe that it is doable.

David Manley
09-30-2017, 15:38
Personally, while I am waiting for all of them with interest, I'm particularly salivating for the Agamemnons. I'm planning on attempting to razee one into HMS Indefatigable (my favorite historical ship.)

You might want to hold off a bit, there are discussions afoot surrounding "Indy" and Pellew being a special pack in the future :happy:

Bligh
09-30-2017, 15:43
Very interesting Dave!
Rob.

Comte de Brueys
09-30-2017, 15:45
I think a new wave of special packs would be awesome for the SoG community.

I really like the HMS Victory and the USS Constitution.

Diamondback
09-30-2017, 18:25
And if they take David's advice, there'll be a reason to buy several, too.

TexaS
10-01-2017, 02:39
And if they take David's advice, there'll be a reason to buy several, too.
You mean apart from HMS Anson and HMS Magnanime?

It's going to be a sticky situation given the small size of our ships but (not having seen the model Agamemnon yet) I believe that it is doable.
It's been done by me but using the bigger Elizabeth class. But on the other hand I've been sailing Indy for a few years now.

https://sailsofglory.org/showthread.php?3090-Raz%E9e
https://sailsofglory.org/showthread.php?3112-HMS-Indefatigable

Diamondback
10-01-2017, 02:54
David had recommended, rather than the double-crew and different-time stats for Constitution and Victory, a triple-pack of paperwork to do all three of the Razee 64's. There's just no way in Hell to throw enough on with the sculpt to get a full three-SKU regular release, and if memory serves the same is true of the Razee 74 heavy-frigates, so Special Packs are our best chance to get oddballs that otherwise wouldn't happen in through the back or side door.

Killick
10-01-2017, 04:43
Agreed!

Naharaht
10-02-2017, 01:21
Does that mean that pirate ships would likely come as special packs? :Arrrr:

Diamondback
10-02-2017, 02:56
Bearing in mind that few pirate ships were extant in the 1760-1815 "game period," I think Team Skull & Bones's single best chance is Lafitte's Pride if we can find enough generally similar schooners to make a cluster. But even that ship would be too small to make the Minimum Length...

Bligh
10-02-2017, 03:14
I am up for anything that extends the gaming options, and from what we have done at shows Pirates unfortunately seems to be the favourite. So let the majority decision be the arbiter say I.
Rob.

HMS Goliath
10-02-2017, 07:51
You gents have inspired me! I ordered a HMS Bellona last night and will be cutting her down (or rather up I suspect) into HMS Indefatigable. Will try to post photos.

TexaS
10-07-2017, 05:56
I look forward to seeing the pictures of your efforts.

Dobbs
10-07-2017, 06:48
Bearing in mind that few pirate ships were extant in the 1760-1815 "game period," I think Team Skull & Bones's single best chance is Lafitte's Pride if we can find enough generally similar schooners to make a cluster. But even that ship would be too small to make the Minimum Length...

How come no one ever talks about privateers? If you want pirates, what's wrong with licensed pirates? ...And, you get bigger ships... while fiction, the French ship in the movie "Master and Commander" was a privateer, and patterned after Constitution! A successful privateer could have a real warship built to personal flavor, as compared to pirates having to make do with armed merchantmen (Queen Anne's Revenge).

Diamondback
10-14-2017, 04:41
How come no one ever talks about privateers? If you want pirates, what's wrong with licensed pirates? ...And, you get bigger ships... while fiction, the French ship in the movie "Master and Commander" was a privateer, and patterned after Constitution! A successful privateer could have a real warship built to personal flavor, as compared to pirates having to make do with armed merchantmen (Queen Anne's Revenge).
Dobbs, we have one--Thorn was a Massachusetts privateer. The problem with bigger one-offs goes back to the one we've always had from day one, clustering them into a six-pack for a sculpt.

Right now, I'm actually trying to gather whatever information I can on the ships of Adam & Noah Brown, since many of the Great Lakes ships were adaptations of their successful privateer-brig designs. I do recall that Robert Surcouf managed to lay hands on a surplused French Navy frigate that might fit onto SGN101...

Naharaht
10-16-2017, 00:19
October 13th was last Friday. Are there any signs of the Wave 4 ships yet?

Bligh
10-16-2017, 02:49
Have a look here Dave.

http://sailsofglory.org/showthread.php?4775-OMG-The-ships-have-arrived!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rob.

Naharaht
10-27-2017, 00:03
I succeeded in buying five of the new ships from my local games shop yesterday afternoon. For some unknown reason Esdevium had not sent a model of H.M.S. Polyphemus/H.M.S. America to the shop although the owner was sure that he had ordered one.

Bligh
10-27-2017, 02:26
Well done Dave. Your's is the first reported sighting of the ships in our waters.
Any chance of a few pictures?
Rob.

Aaron
10-27-2017, 08:09
I placed an order for 2 new ships (HMS Agamemnon & Mahonesa) and the USS Constitution. I hope it shows up today.

David Manley
10-27-2017, 11:42
Have any arrived at the Anchorage yet? Wondering whether my order to Keith is going to get to my friend in DC by next Friday!

Naharaht
10-28-2017, 00:36
I have some photographs but I am having trouble uploading them. Is there a limit to how many pictures we can upload, please?

Aaron
10-28-2017, 13:38

Bligh
10-28-2017, 15:51
Thanks Aaron.
Rob.

Naharaht
10-31-2017, 13:44
I still cannot upload my photographs of the new ships even using 'Basic Uploader'. All I can think of is that the new server has a maximum file size for pictures.

Aaron
10-31-2017, 15:58

Works for me

Naharaht
11-05-2017, 09:27
H.M.S. Polyphemus has entered harbour.

Actually I collected the missing model of H.M.S. Polyphemus/ H.M.S. America last Thursday but this website was down.

Bligh
11-05-2017, 13:01
Good to see that you are managing to get pictures up again Dave.
That looks like a very smart craft.
Hopefully mine should arrive from the States in December.

Rob.

Capn Duff
11-06-2017, 01:57
Gameseek has the British 64 and Spanish frigates up for sail, I got Hms Polyphemus and the Nimfa enroute

Naharaht
11-07-2017, 12:11
My picture uploadiing problems are not over, Rob. I have had to shrink this photograph in order to be able to upload it.

Bligh
11-07-2017, 12:41
That is interesting Dave, because I thought everyone had to shrink the raw photos. I have done it from day one. There has always been a top limit on size for the Drome, and I assumed the same is on Sails.
Jim set me up a programme on Photoshop to shrink pictures for ease of transmission by E-mail to friends, and I just run everything through that when I download to the computer from the camera as a matter of course. I even find it works for those odd pictures from the net that just will not show up as a photo but as a BB code or some such.
Talking of size, how do the new ships marry up to the series one vessels?
Rob.

Comandante
11-07-2017, 13:12
Hi Rob,

I received yesterday my Mahonesa, I measured her and she passed musters, well at list this is my first impression as far as measures are concerned. Of course we have the odd wind problem, and my model too has the black paint over the yellow (more to the stern compared to David's one), a less accurate then usual paintwork.

Bligh
11-07-2017, 13:24
Thanks for that info Franco. it is a relief. Close enough is good enough after all the scares.
Paintwork is no problem, i can soon put that right.
Rob.

Dobbs
11-07-2017, 16:36

What's this about the HMS Mahonesa never serving as an active warship?

Naharaht
11-07-2017, 23:24
It seems that you are correct, Dobbs. Mahonesa served as a Spanish frigate but she was so badly shot up by H.M.S. Terpsichore when she was captured, that it was considered not worth the cost of a thorough repair and so she had "little more than a nominal existance among the 36-gun frigates of the british navy".

My source is 'The Naval History of Great Britain volume 1' by William James, page 514. http://www.electricscotland.com/history/scotreg/The-Naval-History-Of-Great-Britain-Vol-1.pdf

Bligh
11-08-2017, 00:41
That was the reason that it was the only ship I did not bother to order Dobbs.
Rob.

Capn Duff
11-08-2017, 06:07
The other side HMS Hamadryad only lasted around 8 months before she too was wrecked, hopefully we can add to her honours game wise

SeaDog7
11-08-2017, 13:11
The Mahonesa class are interesting ships. Burden is 4 with an initial battery of 2-3-3. One quirk I noted was that the primary ships (i.e., Mahonesa and Diana) have an extra damage box compared with the reverse side of the damage track for the Ninfa and the Proserpina. All 4 use the K maneuver deck.

I ran the Proserpina against a friend with the Terpsichore last night for my first outing with these frigates. It was pretty one-side with the Amazon class burden of 2, so in the second game I tried to stay true to the Spanish/French philosophy of aiming high which helped balance the battle a little bit more. Proserpina was able to board and capture her foe, but I got very lucky drawing numerous "0" chits in the first several boarding rounds which helped turn the tide. I am pretty favorably impressed with the Mahonesa class so far.

Comandante
11-08-2017, 14:07
I received today my Agamemnon. It's a pretty nice model and the scale is almost perfect (just a little bit oversized). We have the same odd wind problem and the other thing I noticed so far, that doesn't look right to me, are the gun ports, they look smaller than they should be (specially when close to wave 1/2 ships like e.g. a Hebe class frigate). I hope I can manage to post pictures soon.

Bligh
11-09-2017, 02:09
This all sounds very interesting shipmates, and a lot more hopeful than it sounded at first.
I can now await my delivery with anticipation.
Rob.

Diamondback
11-10-2017, 12:01
The Mahonesa class are interesting ships. Burden is 4 with an initial battery of 2-3-3. One quirk I noted was that the primary ships (i.e., Mahonesa and Diana) have an extra damage box compared with the reverse side of the damage track for the Ninfa and the Proserpina. All 4 use the K maneuver deck.

I ran the Proserpina against a friend with the Terpsichore last night for my first outing with these frigates. It was pretty one-side with the Amazon class burden of 2, so in the second game I tried to stay true to the Spanish/French philosophy of aiming high which helped balance the battle a little bit more. Proserpina was able to board and capture her foe, but I got very lucky drawing numerous "0" chits in the first several boarding rounds which helped turn the tide. I am pretty favorably impressed with the Mahonesa class so far.
Sounds a little overpowered for only a TWO-gun advantage...

Diamondback
11-10-2017, 12:12
I received today my Agamemnon. It's a pretty nice model and the scale is almost perfect (just a little bit oversized). We have the same odd wind problem and the other thing I noticed so far, that doesn't look right to me, are the gun ports, they look smaller than they should be (specially when close to wave 1/2 ships like e.g. a Hebe class frigate). I hope I can manage to post pictures soon.
How far off? Lower Deck, which should be close to waterline (including bow rounding but not the cutwater), should be about 49mm. Mahonesa should be around 44, Tonnants around 59, Groignard EIM's around 46 +/-.

Capn Duff
11-10-2017, 12:14
Measured my. Hms Agamemnom lower deck around 47-48 mm

Naharaht
11-10-2017, 23:29
Good news, Mahonesa is about 44mm and H.M.S. Polyphemus is about 49mm.

Bligh
11-11-2017, 02:32
Sounding more hopeful all the time Dave.
Thanks for that extra bit of information.
Rob.

Comandante
11-16-2017, 09:14
I managed to get pictures of the models and measure them with my caliper (not with the paper tape measurer:happy:)

the scale of the Mahonesa class, with a gun deck length of 44,2 mm, is almost perfect (1:986).:clap:

Comandante
11-16-2017, 09:22
The Ardent class with a gun deck of 49,2 mm is almost in perfect scale 1:982

:thumbsup:

but I wonted to compare them with wave two.

Comandante
11-16-2017, 09:24
more about this later as I have to go, please wait.

Comte de Brueys
11-16-2017, 10:26
Got my mail yesterday, that the ships are on the way. :clap:

Bligh
11-16-2017, 12:28
I also got a message to that effect Sven.
Should be here in about eight days on the usual delivery scale.
Rob.

Cmmdre
11-16-2017, 12:32
It sure is good to be back online, Lads. I recently picked up the first 6 ships of wave 4 through Miniature Market. Haven't had a chance to pull them out and have a go yet.

Nightbomber
11-16-2017, 12:37
Back online, well anyone knows what's going on with the "mother" forum?

Cmmdre
11-16-2017, 13:35
Miniature Market has the 6 ships of the second half of wave 4 in stock currently.

Comandante
11-16-2017, 13:40
I had the impression that the gun ports in wave 3 and 4 models looked smaller than those of wave 2.
Therefore I compared an Hebe and an Ardent:

There is a noticeable difference between the two and also the masts look a little bit too similar in eight.

I would say that the Hebe looks more fearsome.

Bligh
11-16-2017, 13:56
Spot on Franco. They are definitely smaller. Guess I will be getting out the black paint pot again then.
Rob.

Comandante
11-16-2017, 14:01
Are the wave 4 gun port to small or the wave 2 gun ports too large?
I checked the models against the draughts
the following is an Ardent
taking into account that the picture is distorted due to the perspective I would say that the models is really close to the draught and is a good scale model, the masts are oversized and I remember how good the SoG hulls look when you replace the original masts with metal ones like in the wonderful works by Julián.

Comandante
11-16-2017, 14:04
At this point I had to do the same with the Hebe:

Well gun ports are clearly oversized, except this the hull is good.

Comandante
11-16-2017, 14:09
Finally I wanted to compare a SoG Ardent to a metal high end hull,

not bad at all.

Conclusion:

probably the first two models of wave 4 are the best so far (scale-wise).

Let's hope that Ares fixed the problems with the other two.

Bligh
11-16-2017, 14:09
The gaps between ports should be larger than the ports so it looks as if Hebe is wrong Franco.
Rob.

Capn Duff
11-16-2017, 15:26
Hi chaps, good to be back on here. I also got a mail my Tonnant and Bucentaure are enroute.
Still think the new ships are smaller.
DB came up with the Ares designer tiok the size direct from Windows and hence approx 10% out of kilter.

Anyway have rigged my HMS Agamemnom , Ill post a pic after the Reading show this weekend.

Bligh
11-16-2017, 15:36
Look forward to seeing that Chris.
Have a good time at the show.
Rob.

Comandante
11-16-2017, 16:28
The gaps between ports should be larger than the ports so it looks as if Hebe is wrong Franco.
Rob.

Yes Rob, the Hebe model ports are too large. Proportions in Mahonesa and Ardent are better respected. At the end of the day Mahonesa and Ardent are far better models than we expected/feared.
Last June when I e-mailed ARES my remarks on wave 4 models, Roberto told me that the Mahonesa models would have been about 10% larger than in picture, and it turned out to be the case. Now I hope they also took into consideration to change the mizzens on the Indiaman and the 80 gun.

Killick
11-17-2017, 01:09
Still waiting and hoping I will get them by Christmas...................

Bligh
11-17-2017, 01:51
Back online, well anyone knows what's going on with the "mother" forum?

Just showing signs of coming back to life Andy.
Rob.

HMS Goliath
11-17-2017, 07:53
Well, for my two cents.
I think it more important to show consistency between the models. In the real world, gunports were roughly the same size. The models should reflect that. To have such disparity makes it difficult to set early vs new models side by side. Also, all four of the first ships I got (the frigates and HMS Africa had sloppy paintwork. Anybody else run into this?

Comandante
11-17-2017, 08:40
Hi Robert,

I'm with you. I would have preferred consistency, anyway the hulls of these models are consistent in scale with wave 1 and 2.
My Mahonesa models have poor paintwork too.

HMS Goliath
11-17-2017, 19:07
Like Bligh said, I'm not too worried I'll just have to break out my paint.
Still wondering though about what to do with headsails that are filling opposite the spanker/driver.

Bligh
11-18-2017, 02:07
Just a blustery day Robert.:wink:
Rob.

Naharaht
11-18-2017, 22:03
The second half of Wave 4 was due for release last Friday (17th). Have there been any sign of the ships?

Killick
11-18-2017, 22:28
From what I have read I am under the impression they have been. Got a note from Keith say an order is on it's way hopfully it will get here in time for Exmas.

Bligh
11-19-2017, 02:08
Mine too.
Rob.

TexaS
11-19-2017, 02:55
After the debacle with the Spanish ships in the last wave I've been waiting to order this new wave. I want to see how many faults they've made and let that decide how many I will order. Right now I'm considering to continue cutting up two Témérairs to get a Tonnant and a wreck. If I have to make changes to the Tonnants anyway that will at least make them fit in with the older ships better.

Bligh
11-19-2017, 05:01
If you decide to do that Jonas, please write us up a "How To" as you progress. It will prove very useful for anyone wanting to follow your lead.

Cmmdre
11-19-2017, 06:35
The second half of Wave 4 was due for release last Friday (17th). Have there been any sign of the ships?

They have been sighted on the horizon and are closing in on their new home ports. :clap:

DeRuyter
11-19-2017, 22:03
Got a chance to see some of the wave 4 ships at PAX Unplugged this weekend. I was demoing SoG at the Ares booth. Picked up an Aggie, Bucentaure , Bonhomme Richard, Diana, and Tonnant. They did have the Bertin but I didn't get that one. I have not had a chance to pull them all out yet. The Bucentaure does seem to have small gun ports compared to the Hebe class ships.

I was tempted to pick up Wings of Glory WWII starter set since I got some merch for my time, but stuck with ships! Sorry for the bad snaps I didn't have much time as there was a lot of interest in Sails so I was busy running games.

David Manley
11-19-2017, 23:14
Just heard my wave 4 models are on their way from Keith- 2 weeks too late for my US friend to whom they are going to bring them over, so no models for me until the end of April 2018 :sad:

TexaS
11-19-2017, 23:59
If you decide to do that Jonas, please write us up a "How To" as you progress. It will prove very useful for anyone wanting to follow your lead.
I think I did. Perhaps not made as a “how to” but documented step by step. I added the Langton sterngalleries in a later thread, when the ships were painted and perhaps even rigged. I’ll se if I can find them.

Bligh
11-20-2017, 02:31
If you put them all together in one thread, I can put them in the "How to" section for you Jonas.
Rob.

TexaS
11-20-2017, 03:34
I'll make it later. The conversion was mixed in in the end of a mixed thread. It does need to be rewritten.
Right now I can just add them to find them more easily.

http://sailsofglory.org/showthread.php?3130-Rebuilding-ships-size-wize-74-to-80-or-64/

http://sailsofglory.org/showthread.php?4009-New-stern-gallery

Bligh
11-20-2017, 05:07
Two great conversions which I seem to have missed somehow Jonas.
Both are well worth a place in "How to" once you have tidied them up from the remarks.
I will then be able to present a star to your medal.
Rob.

TexaS
11-20-2017, 13:01
Rob, I have made two new threads in the Chippy Shop that you could make "How to's" of.

DeRuyter
11-21-2017, 14:29
Here are a couple of pics of the Bonhomme Richard

Bligh
11-21-2017, 15:48
Rob, I have made two new threads in the Chippy Shop that you could make "How to's" of.
I will have a look at them as soon as i get time Jonas.
Rob.

Naharaht
12-02-2017, 20:57
I bought the six ships forming the second half of Wave 4 from my local games shop yesterday.