PDA

View Full Version : Good Book Buy

Coog
06-16-2012, 17:36
I keep up with listings on eBay for items that interest me. I particularly look for good deals (I refuse to pay rip off prices like you usually find on WoW miniatures) and have been watching a price war between two book sellers. A book, of which both sellers have a large stock, titled "Knights of the Sea - The True Story of the Boxer and the Enterprise and the War of 1812" started out at $8.00 with free shipping. One seller now has it down to $3.93 with free shipping. I saw the book at Barnes and Noble for $25.00. If price gets much lower it doesn't seem that it would cover shipping costs. It is a new hardback book and sooner or later I'll get a copy. I don't know much about the book but it is bound to have some good information in it. At the price it is at (or possibly even lower) it would be a good buy for someone wanting to learn about the War of 1812 or to add to their already existing collection on the subject.

Comte de Brueys
06-19-2012, 07:47
I always look for cheap, used historical books in good condition in the internet (mostly Amazon Marketplace/eBay).

Can't be good for the business to sell new books for such dumping prices.

Even with an average knowledge of the English language I refused tu by books in Englisch. I'm a fast reader and don't want to check the dictionary all the time or miss details.

Coog
06-19-2012, 10:52
Even with an average knowledge of the English language I refused tu by books in Englisch. I'm a fast reader and don't want to check the dictionary all the time or miss details.

I know what you mean. Those English are sometimes hard to understand. Like you I prefer to read books written in my native language.:)

David Manley
06-19-2012, 13:05
Those English are sometimes hard to understand.

This might help :)

http://www.sailsofglory.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=897&d=1327820159

csadn
06-19-2012, 20:38
Can't be good for the business to sell new books for such dumping prices.

Hie ye to the website of Kristen Rusch, among other authors; "conventional publishing" is coming apart like a house of cards in a hurricane -- $6.98 hardcovers are a symptom, not the disease....

Comte de Brueys
06-20-2012, 10:36

Good advice.

This will help my French sailors a lot if the ever capture a British ship...;)

csadn
06-20-2012, 14:13
Good advice.

This will help my French sailors a lot if the ever capture a British ship...;)

Just stay away from anything with two or more decks of guns, and you're golden; all the well-trained British sailors are on the SoLs and heavier frigates. (See Coog's historical posts for details.)

Comte de Brueys
06-22-2012, 08:02
I'll do my best...

http://sailsofglory.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=1259&d=1340373622

csadn
06-22-2012, 17:02
http://sailsofglory.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=1259&d=1340373622

And which battle is this a painting of?

Comte de Brueys
06-23-2012, 04:40
Don't know. Found it with "french frigate" in the internet.

But it looks like the frigate has trouble with a 74 ship of the line.

Jack Aubrey
02-25-2013, 04:19

http://www.sailsofglory.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=897&d=1327820159

mmhhh,....now I understand Eric a little better....;)

David Manley
02-25-2013, 10:43
mmhhh,....now I understand Eric a little better....;)

We had this out at NATO, and then see how many of our chums we can catch out :D

Diamondback
02-25-2013, 18:24
Or you could just take it all the way a lot of us do: "Man the Lifeboats, it's getting awful deep around here!" :P

7eat51
02-25-2013, 21:07

This is awesome. Did you develop this, or was it part of training?

I have dome something similar with my students, but with slightly different headings:

What wives say: The garbage can is full.
What wives meant: Take out the garbage.
What husbands understand: Um, thanks for telling me?

What wives say: Of course you can go out with your friends.
What wives meant: You better not go because I should be more important to you than your friends.
What husbands understand: I am so lucky to have such a supportive wife.

David Manley
02-25-2013, 22:20

I have dome something similar with my students, but with slightly different headings:

What wives meant: You better not go because I should be more important to you than your friends.

How true!

Jack Aubrey
02-26-2013, 01:03

Eric,
you are searching for a book to learn some German words.
You are on the right way. The book Deutsch-Frau , Frau-Deutsch , schnelle Hilfe für den ratlosen Mann, from Langenscheid is exactly what you want....:cool:

7eat51
02-26-2013, 08:21
Eric,
you are searching for a book to learn some German words.
You are on the right way. The book Deutsch-Frau , Frau-Deutsch , schnelle Hilfe für den ratlosen Mann, from Langenscheid is exactly what you want....:cool:

Thanks Uli. I just ordered it on amazon. I love stuff like this. Not only can my students and I talk about the nature of communication in general, but we can talk about life issues as well.

Volunteer
02-26-2013, 23:00
It all sounds like Greek to me. Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus! A wonderful book that has prevented strife in my household on more than one occasion. Actually Greek is easier to understand than Venusian.

Jack Aubrey
02-28-2013, 00:41
...but what will you do, if your wife is from Vulkan and not from Venus....:rolleyes:

Coog
02-28-2013, 01:29
...but what will you do, if your wife is from Vulkan and not from Venus....:rolleyes:

A woman that responds to situations using logic instead of emotion...naw, never happen.

7eat51
02-28-2013, 10:08
A woman that responds to situations using logic instead of emotion...naw, never happen.

Jack Nicholson on the fairer sex:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDEdJMH09Ds

Volunteer
02-28-2013, 17:56

A logical woman? Isn't that an oxymoron?

(Don't tell my wife I said that!)

csadn
03-01-2013, 14:32
A logical woman? Isn't that an oxymoron?

(Don't tell my wife I said that!)

[facepalm]

I just had to tell someone off for that sort of thing on another forum -- don't make me do it here, too.... :P

Volunteer
03-01-2013, 17:43
OOPS!