PDA

View Full Version : Reporting aboard from Northern Virginia

OHPerry
07-28-2017, 06:57
I am glad to be aboard. Such a nice welcome, and a very organized and active community here.

I have been a gamer for 40 years and absolutely love the Napoleonic era and the age of sail. I am about to start the O'Brian series for the third time, and I of course have quite a selection of movies and books on the era. I love war and board games of all types but I am certainly bitten by the SoG bug lately.

It all started when a gaming buddy of mine recommending attending Historicon in Fredericksburg a couple of weeks ago. First off, although I have been a gamer for most of my life I had never been to a gaming convention. I (and my friends and 10 year old son) loved it!

I was especially taken with a game like Sails of Glory (follow the admiral's wake I think). The models were beautiful and the system was elegant. I also enjoyed watching a WoG WWII battle. I immediately went home and started researching age of sail games and Sails of Glory seemed the clear favorite. I ordered the starter set and have been a bit obsessive since. I have played exactly one battle, with the starter ships. We both had a blast and I have three other gaming friends eager to join in so this is just the start.

Something else I also never did before? Make my own 3D terrain. Thanks to You Tube I started making islands and after a nice set of five islands I plan on reconstructing 3D models of the terrain and forts sets (that incidentally our impossible to find) to play with.

As to me personally, I am retired Army and although I love playing in the mud (or flying over it) I always loved ships. A couple of years ago I found out I am a direct descendent of Oliver Hazard Perry so I do have some salt in my blood somewhere.

I look forward to my continued enjoyment of this great game.

OHPerry
(Chris)

Bligh
07-28-2017, 13:23
Hi again Chris.
First of all I can now welcome you officially to the Anchorage on behalf of the many Officers serving in all our fleets, and welcome you to the Wardroom for a bevy or three.
Also you may find this article which I added a few weeks ago of some interest. it is based on the official coastline cards which I traced around for my templates.

http://sailsofglory.org/content.php?6-kit-building

Rob.

Capn Duff
07-28-2017, 15:19
Welcome Chris, from another Chris over the pond in Bristol, any questions , hints or tips just shout

Bligh
07-29-2017, 01:27
Morning Chris (Perry)
My good Lady ( Speedwell Lass) reminded me to mention that we were in Virginia two years ago to witness the French Frigate Hermione dock at Yorktown, and spend a very enjoyable week in Colonial Williamsburg and its locale.

Here I am with my model of the Hermione in front of the actual ship.

Rob.

Naharaht
07-29-2017, 22:12
Welcome to the Anchorage, Christopher, from over here in the U.K..

SeaDog7
07-30-2017, 13:09
Welcome aboard from Boise!

TexaS
08-02-2017, 09:43
Welcome to the Anchorage, from Sweden!

Cmmdre
08-02-2017, 09:52
Welcome from the Pacific Northwest Christopher. :salute: