PDA

View Full Version : Bligh's gold Medals.

Bligh
03-28-2017, 10:00

Two gold medals earned by Captain William Bligh during his exploits at sea during the late 1700s were auctioned in Australia and fetched a staggering £250,000
Captain Bligh, won the medals during his long and distinguished career in the Royal Navy. The medals themselves, which have been handed down by Capt Bligh's descendants for generations, have been described as "extremely rare", but it is their association with the renowned seafarer that lends them special value.
He was awarded the first medal, from The Society for the Encouragement of Arts, Manufactures and Commerce when he finally completed his original mission and succeeded in bringing breadfruit back from Tahiti in 1794.
The Naval Gold Medal 1795, shown in the Portrait, was awarded in recognition of his actions during the successful 1797 Battle of Camperdown against the Dutch, in which the British fleet captured 11 Dutch vessels without losing any of their own.

Rob.

Naharaht
03-29-2017, 00:27
Perhaps there is someone here, who could make you some replicas for your uniform, Rob.

Bligh
03-29-2017, 01:31
I have a General Service medal for the period, but it is in bronze. I could not afford the bids for the real one.
Too rich for me.
Rob.