PDA

View Full Version : Mass: Sails of Glory at Huzzah! in Portland, ME

Knighttyme
03-12-2017, 09:49
Huzzah! (http://www.huzzahcon.com) is a miniatures gaming convention held each May in Portland, ME at the airport Hilton. This year it is the 19th to the 21st, and I will be running a Sails of Glory abridged Trafalgar Scenario with 8 Brits, 4 French and 4 Spanish on Saturday evening, so sail on by if you are in the area.

Wentworth
02-21-2018, 20:53
Are you planning a game at Huzzah! this year?

Knighttyme
02-22-2018, 04:57
Are you planning a game at Huzzah! this year?
Bill:

I have not firmed up my game schedule for Huzzah, but I would be happy to run a game if you are planning on attending and would like to play in one.

Michael

Wentworth
02-22-2018, 08:52
Hi Michael,
Yes I would LOVE to play Sails at Huzzah -- I attended for the first time last year and really enjoyed it -- want to go back this year if there are games of interest -- I hope you consider running Sails.
Bill

Bligh
02-22-2018, 12:26
Sounds great Michael.
Wish I could be over there with you for it.
Do take a few pictures for us if you would.
Rob.

Knighttyme
02-22-2018, 19:34
Hi Michael,
Yes I would LOVE to play Sails at Huzzah -- I attended for the first time last year and really enjoyed it -- want to go back this year if there are games of interest -- I hope you consider running Sails.
Bill

Bill:

I've scheduled a game for Saturday morning. The organizers haven't confirmed it yet, so the time may change, but it should be good to go.

I'll be running a Battle of the Virginia Capes scenario for 8 players.

Hope to see you there, and be sure to invite your friends.

Michael

Knighttyme
02-22-2018, 19:38
Sounds great Michael.
Rob.

Rob:

I always try to take pictures, but sometimes the players keep be hopping and I don't always get as many as I would like. I will be happy to post the pictures I do take.

Are you sure you can't make it? The convention is right at the Portland Airport!

Michael

Wentworth
02-22-2018, 21:30
Bill:

I've scheduled a game for Saturday morning. The organizers haven't confirmed it yet, so the time may change, but it should be good to go.

I'll be running a Battle of the Virginia Capes scenario for 8 players.

Hope to see you there, and be sure to invite your friends.

Michael

WOO HOO ! (or should I say Huzzah !) Count me in ! BTW -- I have quite a few ships and a 6 foot x 4 foot ocean mat -- I can bring anything you may need to assist in the scenario
Bill

Wentworth
02-22-2018, 21:30
Sounds great Michael.
Rob.

Rob, I will try to take some pictures as well -- although I am the world's worst photographer!
Bill

Bligh
02-23-2018, 01:31
Never mind shipmates, as they say one picture is worth a thousand words. (no matter how poor the shot is.)

:cannonboom::minis:
Rob.

Powdermonkey
02-23-2018, 11:13
I'd love to hit up a con. Hopefully work will cooperate.

Wentworth
02-23-2018, 12:56

Josh,
I went to Huzzah! last year for the first time and had a really good time -- in addition to Sails there will be multiple Wings of Glory games as well (if you have interest).
Bill

Knighttyme
02-25-2018, 05:54
WOO HOO ! (or should I say Huzzah !) Count me in ! BTW -- I have quite a few ships and a 6 foot x 4 foot ocean mat -- I can bring anything you may need to assist in the scenario
Bill

Bill:

I'm all set for the ships and game mat, but you might consider bringing them anyway - If you run a game, you entrance fee is waived. If not this year, then next year. That way I get to play in a Sails of Glory game!

Michael

Knighttyme
02-25-2018, 06:01

Josh:

Huzzah! is a great convention (not that there are any bad ones). If you can't make it to Huzzah!, you might also consider Carnage, in Killington, VT the first weekend in November. They aren't as miniature focused as Huzzah!, but it is still an excellent convention all around.

Wentworth
02-25-2018, 12:03
Bill:

I'm all set for the ships and game mat, but you might consider bringing them anyway - If you run a game, you entrance fee is waived. If not this year, then next year. That way I get to play in a Sails of Glory game!

Michael

Michael,
I'll bring some along in case there is some down time to game. BTW -- Havaoc is April 6-8 in Shrewsbury, MA -- are you putting on any games there ?
Bill

Knighttyme
02-26-2018, 19:36
Michael,
I'll bring some along in case there is some down time to game. BTW -- Havaoc is April 6-8 in Shrewsbury, MA -- are you putting on any games there ?
Bill

Bill:

Havoc, unfortunately, is scheduled during the ski season, so I don't attend. Huzzah! is run when most ski areas are closed most years, although some years it's a near thing and I've considered leaving Portland first thing Sunday morning in order to go skiing. Carnage is also during the very early ski season, but, as it is held at a ski area, that isn't a problem!

Michael

Knighttyme
02-26-2018, 19:41
By the way, for those of you unfamiliar with it, Huzzah! is May 18th to the 20th this year at the Portland, ME Hilton hotel, right off of Rt 95 and a very short shuttle bus ride from the airport. Information on the games scheduled can be found on the Maine Historical War-game Association website here: http://mhwa.info/huzzahcon

Wentworth
02-28-2018, 12:52
Hi Michael,
Pity about Havoc, but ski while you still can! BTW -- the preliminary events list for Huzzah! does not have your game listed yet:

http://register.mhwa.info/event_list.php

Bill

Knighttyme
03-01-2018, 04:50
Hi Michael,
Pity about Havoc, but ski while you still can! BTW -- the preliminary events list for Huzzah! does not have your game listed yet:

http://register.mhwa.info/event_list.php

Bill

Bill:

My games (I'm running a Medieval skirmish game Saturday night) were accepted last night and now appear on the events listing. See you there!

Michael

Wentworth
03-01-2018, 09:39
Bill:

My games (I'm running a Medieval skirmish game Saturday night) were accepted last night and now appear on the events listing. See you there!

Michael

Right ! As soon as they open registration, I'm on it! Looking forward to seeing you there -- BTW -- I plan to drive up on Thursday, so I'll be available for casual gaming on Friday evening (running my Hittites out to play in a DBA game on Friday afternoon).
Bill

Knighttyme
03-03-2018, 06:39
Right ! As soon as they open registration, I'm on it! Looking forward to seeing you there -- BTW -- I plan to drive up on Thursday, so I'll be available for casual gaming on Friday evening (running my Hittites out to play in a DBA game on Friday afternoon).
Bill

Bill:

I'm planning on getting there Friday afternoon, I'll look for you in the DBA game.

There are some really good games scheduled in all periods so far, with more to come I expect, but casual gaming is always a possibility. Some of my friends, who have games scheduled Saturday morning so they can't play in mine, would be interested. I'll let them know.

Michael

Wentworth
03-03-2018, 06:55
Excellent....it will be a pleasure to meet you. On the other games -- I'm in for DBA, Bolt Action, your Sails of Glory game, and at least 2 Wings of Glory games...can't wait !
Bill

Knighttyme
03-06-2018, 19:53
Bill, Josh, and anybody else interested:

Registration for Huzzah! opens this Saturday, the 10th. Lots of good games, and there is still time for others to be added. Get there early to be sure you get your first picks!

Michael

Wentworth
03-10-2018, 13:20
Michael,
My registration for Huzzah! is all set -- I'm in the Saturday morning Sails of Glory game you are running (Battle of the Virginia Capes), TWO Wings of Glory games (one WW2, one WW1), a Bolt Action Stalingrad game, and on Friday afternoon the De Bellis Antiquitatus Hyksos invasion ancient game (dusting off my Old and Middle Kingdom Hittites for that one). WOO HOO !!! (I'm pretty excited...)
Bill

Wentworth
04-18-2018, 16:02
ONE MONTH TO GO TO HUZZAH !!! Can't wait for Sails of Glory, Wings of Glory, Bolt Action, and DBA !

Wentworth
05-14-2018, 14:16
Furiously trying to complete my work before leaving on Thursday for Huzzah! Saturday morning is my first big convention Sails of Glory game -- Battle of the Virginia Capes being run by Knighttyme -- SO VERY EXCITED !!!:thumbsup:

Bligh
05-14-2018, 15:44
Have a superb time Bill.
Don't forget to get some photos.
Rob.

Wentworth
05-14-2018, 16:37
Have a superb time Bill.
Don't forget to get some photos.
Rob.

I will try, but I am sure I will come back with stunning photos of my thumb and several other digits....:surrender:

Bligh
05-15-2018, 02:02
You don't seem to be that uncoordinated a Photographer Bill.
Your Sails on the Hudson photos are smashing.
Rob.

Wentworth
05-17-2018, 15:10
Arrived alive in Maine !!! Full convention schedule ahead....Friday: De Bellis Antiquitatus in afternoon, Aerodrome WWI dogfights in evening. Saturday: Sails of Glory Battle of the Virginia Capes in morning, afternoon Wings of Glory "Above Guadalcanal" evening Bolt Action Stalingrad. Sunday morning: Wings of Glory "Over the Trenches". Unfortunately no one here yet but the Moose -- tried to get him to play but he just couldn't move the ships with his hooves....:happy:

Bligh
05-17-2018, 15:44
Have a good one Bill.:thumbsup:

Rob.

Wentworth
05-18-2018, 16:09
My Hittites make their presence known -- vanquishing the Egyptians and the Amorites tonight ! Tomorrow morning Sails of Glory !!!

TexaS
05-19-2018, 13:21
Looking forward to pictures!

By the way, Bill, PM me your address.

Wentworth
05-20-2018, 18:08
Just back from Huzzah ! Many thanks to Knighttyme (Michael) for running the Battle of the Virginia Capes -- it was great fun -- eight ships per side -- my first big fleet action -- I'll post some photos as soon as I recuperate from the drive from Maine....

ps -- Jonas PM on way to you
B.

Bligh
05-21-2018, 01:22
Glad to hear the show lived up to expectations.

I look forward to seeing your photos Bill.
Rob.

Wentworth
05-22-2018, 17:43
Well, as threatened, here are some photos from the Battle of the Virginia Capes fought at Huzzah! It was declared a British victory. I commanded the HMS Africa, HMS Royal George, and the HMS America. My flotilla sank one French ship and was within one damage point of sinking a second. On the last turn of the game I gambled with Africa to try to sink the second French ship and took the last crew hit on her, forcing her to strike. It was my first fleet action and I really enjoyed the game a great deal -- thanks Michael (Knighttyme) for running the game. He took more photos with a much better camera than my phone camera.
The opening positions:

The ships converge:

The action becomes general:

Bligh
05-23-2018, 01:52
Thanks for the photos Bill.
They give a good flavour of the game.
Regarding another matter, look out for a PM in your mailbox.
Rob.

TexaS
05-23-2018, 02:10
Very nice photos!

Great to see something of your game! For how long did you play?

Wentworth
05-23-2018, 06:41
The game ran from 9am to 1pm. It was so much fun the time just flew by!