PDA

View Full Version : Testing G-Two's SoG Solo Interface

Nightmoss
01-21-2017, 17:07
I've wanted to test Greg's Sails of Glory Solo Interface for some time, but I never seemed to get around to it. Now that I've signed on for the 2017 Solo Campaign I really needed to see if there was a way to streamline the time needed to plot moves, record damage and write up an After Action Report.

Greg was kind enough to email me the Windows version zip file which I eventually figured out how to install on my Surface Pro. I forgot to choose the log option when I started this game, but I did take some photos and recorded damage on the ships logs.

I used Fred's Rules because they are what I'm most familiar with, but Greg has also provided the option to use Powder Monkey.

To make a long story short I sailed the Courageuse and the AI sailed HMS Terpsichore. The AI handed me a sound defeat although I do wonder if the program was tracking damage correctly on at least one occasion? As I interpret the rules whenever your chit draws equal or exceed the burden of a ship that immediately fills a box and you don't back track on hull damage unless the chit draw is less than the burden? Any hull damage in a box prevents that broadside damage from being used.

I was hoping Greg's interface had more ships included, but all that show at present are ships from the Starter Box. There may have been an option to input ship data? (see below)

Setup: HMS Terpsichore in distance and Courageuse in foreground

Initial Movement Setup/Phase (Fred's Rules)

Ships Approaching Over Several Turns

First Blood / Full Broadsides From Both Ships HMS Terpsichore is Upper Ship

More Maneuvering and Excellent Moves By AI (Taken Aback Sneakiness)

The AI Move and Broadside That Pretty Much Ended the Fight

This is the Combat Phase Where I Think Courageuse Still Had An Additional Shot So I Drew Another Chit

Killing Blow By HMS Terpsichore

Greg's original thread is here and now reading back it looks like his initial thought was to allow you to enter data for ships as needed. I'm going to shoot him a PM and see if that's something still in the works or if I missed that option when loaded the game.

http://sailsofglory.org/showthread.php?4116-Solo-play-app&highlight=game+app

Cheers!

Hjl
01-21-2017, 17:21
It looks like it worked well, my own experience of it is that it is as good as i am with one ship and tends to get muddled up and bump when there are lots

G-Two
01-21-2017, 20:47
Thanks for the write up and the feedback. Sounds like there's a bug in the damage. I believe you are correct about how it should work. I'll dig into the code and see what I can find. :) I sent you a PM about how to add any ships that you own. The only ones that come with the app are the ones included with the game. Also, I'd love it if you could try it with multiple ships. I PM'd Hjl for feedback with his experience with the app, but I'd like yours too. Any info on how to make the app better is appreciated! Thanks!

Nightmoss
01-22-2017, 09:23
Thanks for the write up and the feedback. Sounds like there's a bug in the damage. I believe you are correct about how it should work. I'll dig into the code and see what I can find. :) I sent you a PM about how to add any ships that you own. The only ones that come with the app are the ones included with the game. Also, I'd love it if you could try it with multiple ships. I PM'd Hjl for feedback with his experience with the app, but I'd like yours too. Any info on how to make the app better is appreciated! Thanks!

Hey Greg. Like I said in the PM to you it might have been human error that caused the app to skip up, or just human error in inputting the information? Thanks for the instructions on how to add in ships to the interface. I will attempt to do that soon and hopefully can get ships for the January Solo Campaign set up for a good multiship battle. Thank you! :thumbsup: