PDA

View Full Version : C. S. Forester's Age of Fighting Sail

Coog
05-07-2012, 21:27
I am thinking of getting a copy of C. S. Forester's Age of Fighting Sail. Has anyone read it? Is it just a general overview of naval combat in the War of 1812 or does it provide details on ships and their deployment? Most of the books I have give a lot of information on U. S. ships and their deployment but it seems British ships only get mentioned in their engagements with U. S. ships. I'm hoping Forester will give more of a British perspective.

Comte de Brueys
05-20-2012, 02:04
I like your engagement for the US Navy 1812, Coog.

Sorry I can't discuss anything about this. The reason: There is no literature here about this conflict.

I don't know how big this theme in the British historical literature is?

There is a new cosim with this theme:

http://sailsofglory.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=1235&d=1337500875

Sounds interesting. Invasion of Canada, etc...

And have a look on the game card on the left! (old ironsides)

Coog
05-20-2012, 08:26
Compared to the great land and naval battles of the Napoleonic Wars, the War of 1812 was, on its face, an insignificant sideshow of the period. Outside of the UK, I could see how it would not be much of a topic in Europe. The battles were relatively small and the results of the war did not change much at the end of the war. But the war was significant in that it helped define an identity for the United States and set forth a direction for the country that would over time make it a country that shaped, and continues to shape, world history.

Outside the writings of William James, a British lawyer of the period, I have not found much non-fiction on the subject by British authors. However, the works of Patrick O'Brien and his series of books about the exploits of fictional character Jack Aubrey during the period, including the War of 1812, has been very popular on both sides of the ocean.

The game looks interesting. There have been a few done on the topic as whole, but nothing that seems to have much of a following. The only two that have really stood out are both naval games. Broadside, a popular abstract kid's game of the '60s, and Wooden Ships and Iron Men, which covers the age of sail as a whole but was definitely marketed with an American twist to it.

Comte de Brueys
05-21-2012, 02:58
I've got the game Age of Napoleon, there is a strategy card: "War with America". It prevents British reinforcements for Europe for one game round.

Maybe it was a lucky circumstance, that 1812 the British were busy for about 15 years with the French Revolution & Napoleon.

Who was responsible for the war of 1812?

Coog
05-21-2012, 05:23
This article explains it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_of_1812

But I'm sure David will agree, it was entirely the fault of those evil British.:)

Berthier
05-21-2012, 06:21
Sven
great comment!!

Comte de Brueys
05-21-2012, 07:03
Thanks Daniel.

...and thank you for this information, Coog. Seems this war sharpened the sence of nationality for the Canadians, too.

An interesting period for the young United States, indeed.

csadn
05-23-2012, 15:16
Thanks Daniel.

...and thank you for this information, Coog. Seems this war sharpened the sence of nationality for the Canadians, too.

An interesting period for the young United States, indeed.

More than once, I've described it as "the War where neither side got what it wanted, but both sides got what they *needed*": The British retained Canada, but had to accept there was a new player on the scene who not only knew all the Brit's best tricks, but how to improve on them; the Americans got respect from Europe as a whole, plus the field experience needed to finally convince the Barbary Corsairs "you see the Stars and Stripes, you run fo' yo' mothaf***in' *LIFE*" (which eventually led to all nations ceasing to "pay the Danegeld" to Barbary).

Bligh
05-28-2012, 12:15
I think that the greatest British mistake is that Bernard Cornwell failed to send Sharpe and Harper over to sort it all out for us.
Bligh.

Coog
05-28-2012, 12:26
If Sharpe had been at New Orleans the Louisiana Territory would be part of Canada today!

Capt P
06-06-2012, 17:23
Is there no book review here as in the Areodrome? I have reviewed 5 books there. May the Admerial should start that in here.

Coog
06-06-2012, 17:48
Is there no book review here as in the Areodrome? I have reviewed 5 books there. May the Admerial should start that in here.

I've talked to Keith about one and it is on his list of things to do. It takes a bit of work to set it up. I have several book reviews to submit as soon as it is here.