PDA

View Full Version : Guess what.

Bligh
12-31-2016, 08:28
:salute:It looks as if it is time for the British Fleet to Splice the Mainbrace.
I have just noticed that Bligh has been bunked up to Admiral in the New Years Naval Honours list.
God bless King George.:hatsoff:
The drinks are on me shipmates.:drinks::beer::singin::rum:
Bligh.

MWBell
12-31-2016, 09:07
Congratulations, Admiral! :salute:

"In keeping with the situation" I'll take you up on that drink ... to your good health!! :drinks:

Bligh
12-31-2016, 09:19
Not bad Mick. That's two rounds we have shared in the last five minutes and it is only 16.00 hrs here.
Bligh.:drinks:

MWBell
12-31-2016, 09:35
Not bad Mick. That's two rounds we have shared in the last five minutes and it is only 16.00 hrs here.
Bligh.:drinks:

HAH! The sun hasn't even crossed the yardarm here, yet!!! :happy:

Comte de Brueys
12-31-2016, 11:20
Admiral... :shock:

Well done, Sir! :salute:

Union Jack
12-31-2016, 13:45
A finer promotion was ere deserved.

Well done Sir.

Nightmoss
01-01-2017, 09:23
Congratulations, Rob. With your expanding fleet on hand I rest assured you wont be an Admiral of the Yellow? :wink:

:salute:

Bligh
01-01-2017, 12:49
Congratulations, Rob. With your expanding fleet on hand I rest assured you wont be an Admiral of the Yellow? :wink:

:salute:
Thank you for the congrats Jim. You won't be that long yourself I'm thinking.
Funny you should mention that colour. I was thinking that Keith could have added three grades of Admiral working up through the colours and then thought that maybe other Navies may not have that sort of distinction, so it could get a bit messy. Also if the Admiral list were full we would be waiting for someone to drop off the perch so that we could all move up. Maybe this is better after all.:happy:
Rob.

Naharaht
01-01-2017, 23:31
Many congratulations again, Rob! :salute: I did wonder whether you would have to serve as a Commodore before becoming an Admiral and like you whether there would be the three grades of Admiral.

I believe that it was only the British Navy, which used the colour system to produce more grades of Admiral. There is still the rank of Admiral of the Fleet to aspire to and in the Royal Navy there is a Lord High Admiral but that rank is normally reserved for the Sovereign or another member of the Royal Family. The current Lord High Admiral is Prince Phillip, the Duke of Edinburgh.

Bligh
01-02-2017, 03:07
I assume that Keith left out Commodore as it was a field commission rather than a permanent rank. As for AoF that rank is held by Eric.
Rob.

Capn Duff
01-02-2017, 06:40
Congrats in the promotion Rob, a toast to you :beer:

Nightmoss
01-02-2017, 09:49
Thank you for the congrats Jim. You won't be that long yourself I'm thinking.
Funny you should mention that colour. I was thinking that Keith could have added three grades of Admiral working up through the colours and then thought that maybe other Navies may not have that sort of distinction, so it could get a bit messy. Also if the Admiral list were full we would be waiting for someone to drop off the perch so that we could all move up. Maybe this is better after all.:happy:
Rob.

Rob, I'm more than happy at the captain's level as I find one ship more than sufficient to keep me occupied. :wink: Although the rank pay rate and privileges might be nice. :salute:

I owe O'Brian credit for the Yellow Admiral reference. I haven't gotten to that book yet, but it's in the queue. :happy:

Bligh
01-02-2017, 10:09
The Yellow Admiral was not something with which I was conversant Jim. I tried the O'Brian books many years ago but could not get into them. I only read about two and a half of them.
Maybe now that I am a bit longer in the tooth I should give them another go.
Rob.

Nightmoss
01-02-2017, 14:18
The Yellow Admiral was not something with which I was conversant Jim. I tried the O'Brian books many years ago but could not get into them. I only read about two and a half of them.
Maybe now that I am a bit longer in the tooth I should give them another go.
Rob.

They're very good, but I do find that breaks in between editions is best. I find there's a bit of repetitiveness if you read them one after the other in quick succession.

TexaS
01-03-2017, 13:28
Yes, I agree Jim. And I prefer the earlier books, perhaps the first ten or so.

I think that most navies had Rear Admiral, Vice Admiral and Admiral or the likes thereof even if some might call it Schoutbijnacht or konteradmiral.