PDA

View Full Version : Ship Base Question

twsl
12-27-2016, 20:21
I've been looking at all the ships I've recently picked up and noticed that where the ship attaches to the base, some are tight and some are loose.
I cant really tell if it's the hole or peg that is slightly out of size.
So this causes some of the ships to stand a mm or so off the top of the base and has me worrying if I push too hard I might snap the little peg off or snap a sail.

Now what I've been thinking is to enlarge all the holes slightly in the blue base and removing the extra knob off the underneath of the base a bit and attaching the ship with a small self tapping screw and washer.
The other alternative is a pair of magnets, one sunk into the hull and one flush with the base.
I could also sand the hull to make sure they are flat before re-attaching to the base so they don't look like hovercraft.
Hopefully just removing the peg should solve most of this issue but I noticed a moulding line under the hull.

It might be harder to do on the smaller ships as the hulls are not as deep and I obviously don't want to see a screw poking through the deck.
But the issue seems to be mostly on the larger ships I have.

I'm not planning to switch the base cards over very much if at all but if I do I thought this might be a safer way to do it although not quite as quick.

Has anyone done any mods like this before and advise if this is a good or bad thing to do.

Naharaht
12-28-2016, 00:32
I just use 'Blue-Tac' on the bottom of ships. 'Blue-Tac' is a blue coloured, sticky, plasticine like substance used to fix posters on walls. It can easily be removed. There are other similar substances available in different colours.

twsl
12-28-2016, 07:29
I guess I'll "stick" to Blu-Tac as well.

That way I can spend the time painting masts and sails instead.

I'll just slightly ream the odd really tight ones to get them to sit better.

Nightmoss
12-28-2016, 09:25
I use magnets if the ships are not holding well on their own. I'm sure others on the site have also incorporated them when necessary. Here's my original post on how I go about it. If you site search using "magnet" you'll find some other examples too.

http://sailsofglory.org/showthread.php?2174-Fun-With-Magnets-Or-All-Your-Base-Are-Belong-to-Us&highlight=magnets

Bligh
12-28-2016, 10:26
Now that I have doubled up everything except the new releases, I can glue mine down at last.
Rob.

Union Jack
12-28-2016, 12:05
Only one I've glued down is Argonauta after I rigged her.

Capn Duff
12-28-2016, 17:24
Im with David and Blu-tac mine on the base