PDA

View Full Version : Still working it!

Anav
05-02-2012, 15:02
http://www.navy.mil/view_single.asp?id=123194

Coog
05-02-2012, 15:18
The bicentennial of the War of 1812...this would be the year to take a trip to Boston and finally seeing her.

Berthier
05-02-2012, 19:44
Interesting link thanks Steve.

I flicked through some of the other links on the site and was looking at pictures of USS Independence (LCS 2) which looks like a catamaran variant with helicopter landing pad. Could it be the least attractive ship in modern navies today? All those odd angles and dull grey (no doubt all there for very good reasons) make it look like a hand trowel...no offense to the USN or any serving sailors, this is simply a comment on the "aesthetics" of the ship which I understand comes last when considering the design process for a warship!

David Manley
05-03-2012, 14:00
LCS is the "marmite" programme of the USN - you either love it or hate it. Most of my NAVSEA chums hate it, and it has attracted the alternative name of the "Little Crappy Ship" (despite this supposedly expendable ship being bigger than most navies' destroyers). LCS 2 is a trimaran (LCS1 is a monohull) and its nice to see some of my research from my MSc days being used - I worked on stability and parametric excitation of trimaran hullforms and the output went into the UK's trimaran research database which was subsequently shared with the USN and fed into the LCS programme. So if it capsizes its my fault :)

Of the two variants I much prefer the trimaran.

Berthier
05-04-2012, 03:22
"parametric excitation of trimaran hullforms"

um, yes quite....

David Manley
05-04-2012, 05:19
I get to play with far more interesting things now :)