PDA

View Full Version : Privateers and Gentleman Series

Coog
05-01-2012, 08:00
I ran across this series of paperback books while doing searches on the net. Has anyone read any of them?

Privateers and Gentlemen series, Jon Williams

To Glory Arise, originally The Privateer (1981)

The Tern Schooner, originally The Yankee (1981)

Brig of War, originally The Raider (1981)

The Macedonian (1981)

David Manley
05-01-2012, 11:08
I haven't myself, but some of my friends in the US have and they recommended them very highly. You lot'll love them as they are all about plucky American sailor types beatin' up on the evil Brits :)

Jon Williams is also the author of the Privateers and Gentlemen naval RPG and the excellent "Heart of Oak" miniatures rules which are acclaimed as one of the best sets of rules covering the period.

Coog
05-26-2012, 15:26
Just got two of them today, The Raider and The Yankee. After reading just a few pages of The Raider I can tell they are going to be a good read. The author paints a good picture while telling the story and shows a sound knowledge of sailing and history. It begins aboard USS United States as she is about to engage HMS Macedonian. The main character is a fictional first officer of United States but the captains are historically correct and their personalities, as well as that of the first officer of the Macedonian, are correct based on what I have read in non-fiction. I think I may have to get the rest of the series.

Bligh
05-28-2012, 12:04
Not read them yet, but will look out for them now Bobby.
Bligh.

Coog
05-28-2012, 12:22
They are out of print, so you might have trouble finding them. I was lucky enough to find a couple on eBay. I was a little concerned based on what David had heard about them, that the Americans would be portrayed as knights in shining armor and the Brits as dastardly villains. I found the characters thus far to be complex with vices as well as good points.

Cmmdre
06-08-2013, 21:15
I haven't myself, but some of my friends in the US have and they recommended them very highly. You lot'll love them as they are all about plucky American sailor types beatin' up on the evil Brits :)
Jon Williams is also the author of the Privateers and Gentlemen naval RPG and the excellent "Heart of Oak" miniatures rules which are acclaimed as one of the best sets of rules covering the period.

Thank you for the information David and Bobby. I'll keep a look out for those hard to find copies and a copy of "Heart of Oak".

Just got two of them today, The Raider and The Yankee. After reading just a few pages of The Raider I can tell they are going to be a good read. The author paints a good picture while telling the story and shows a sound knowledge of sailing and history. It begins aboard USS United States as she is about to engage HMS Macedonian. The main character is a fictional first officer of United States but the captains are historically correct and their personalities, as well as that of the first officer of the Macedonian, are correct based on what I have read in non-fiction. I think I may have to get the rest of the series.

Bligh
06-09-2013, 05:15
Yes indeed. It sounds as if these are too good to miss out on.
On the stength of that I just picked all five of them up for £15 on Amazon kindle.
Bligh.

calm
06-16-2013, 08:47
Yes indeed. It sounds as if these are too good to miss out on.
On the stength of that I just picked all five of them up for £15 on Amazon kindle.
Bligh.

Can you post a link. I just searched for them on Amazon with no luck.

I would like to have them on (in ?) my kindle, too.

calm
06-16-2013, 08:54
Never mind. Found them :happy:

Bligh
06-16-2013, 09:46
Glad to hear it. I only just got your signal.
Bligh.

calm
06-16-2013, 10:03
Glad to hear it. I only just got your signal.
Bligh.

When I did searches for the name of the series or the authors, I couldn't find the books.

But using the names of the books it was easy :g&t:

But just knowing, from your post, that they were available kept me searching ! Thanks :salute:

Cmmdre
06-19-2013, 08:00

Just got my copy of "Heart of Oak" by Jon Williams. Thank you for steering me in the right direction David.