PDA

View Full Version : Briefing, November Nation v Nation Mission: A Dark Day

Union Jack
10-29-2016, 15:54
BRF: Nation v nation. November 2016: A Dark Day:

A dispatched has arrived from the home fleet:

Sir, it grieves me to inform you that in April 1797, 16 ships-of-the-line of the Channel fleet refused to sail, and mounted a collective mutiny at Spithead.
Their demands were concerned with improved pay and conditions, and better treatment in general. Some officers considered to ill treat their crews were sent ashore, and their permanent removal demanded. The mutiny at Spithead was conducted in a peaceful and organised manner and within a few weeks their demands had been met and a Royal Pardon granted.
A second mutiny at the Nore in May 1797 was potentially more serious, as the mutineers attempted to go beyond the demands made at Spithead. They wanted more shore leave, fairer distribution of prize money, and changes to the Articles of War. When they attempted to blockade the Thames, an important trade route to London, it took a much more serious turn. The Admiralty, which must have felt it had been lenient and generous with the Spithead mutineers, was determined not to accede to any more demands. When the government demanded the suppression of the mutiny and the Prime Minister, William Pitt the Younger, brought in a bill to outlaw the mutineers, disagreements amongst them rose to the fore. Finally, the Nore mutiny fell apart and the mutineers paid the price. The leader of the delegates was court-martialled and hanged from the yardarm of HMS Sandwich, followed by a number of his fellow mutineers, and many others were imprisoned or flogged.

The news has quickly spread throughout your squadron of the mutiny amongst the ships of the home fleet, and that strong measures have been taken to put this mutiny down. 2 days later a picket ship has reached harbour that a strong enemy squadron is sailing down the coast towards the squadron’s base.

You give the signal for the captains of the squadron to repair aboard for orders. As the ship captains head back towards their command you can see on some ships that a flag has been hoisted.
“Mutiny be damned.”

1. Number your ships 1-6 (if you have more than 6 disregard the smallest). Roll a D6 that is the first ship that mutiny has broken out on.
2. If this is the flag ship then add +1 to your next dice rolls.
3. Roll a D6 for all other ships including the flagship (if this was not the 1st). If the roll is (4) 5 or 6 then mutiny has spread to that ship.

Follow the sequence below.
1. Roll a D6 for first enemy ship onto the table. (See enemy table below).
2. If the flagship did not mutiny then it and all other ships that did not mutiny may leave harbour to intercept the enemy.
3. For all ships that did mutiny strike off the left hand crew box.
4. Move the enemy ships and roll, as for the first, for the second enemy ship to enter play.
5. Move your ships that did not mutiny as normal. All ships start on lowest sail setting and may increase sail setting each movement card played.
6. Roll a D6 for all ships in harbour that did mutiny on a 6 they may move this turn.
7. Move the enemy and roll for a 3rd enemy ship.
8. Move the ships that did not mutiny as normal.
9. Roll a D6 for all ships in harbour that did mutiny on a 5+ they may move this turn.
10. Continue with the above sequence reducing the roll needed by ships that mutiny to leave port by 1 each turn, until 6 enemy ships have entered play.
11. Ships that mutiny may not claim 1st fire nor may they double shot their guns.

Enemy Squadron roll D6: (Amend as per your own ship collection).
1-2 = 1st rate.
3-4-5 = 3rd rate
6 = 5th or UR rate
1. The enemy squadron will sail on battle sails for the duration of the battle.
2. Enemy ships will surrender when down to the last crew box.
3. Enemy ships will attempt to withdraw when they have 2 hull boxes left. (leave the table by nearest edge).
4. The enemy will not quit the fight until it all your ships are sunk or captured or they have no ships left on the table to fight with.

Victory:
Sink or capture as many of the enemy as you can.
Optional rules:
5. You may move your squadron as a fleet. ie move the slowest ship first and all others after to keep at least 1 ship base distance.
6. You may move the enemy squadron as a fleet as above.
7. All ships moving as a fleet will maintain formation and only bypass a friendly ship if that ship is boarding/being boarded.
8. If a ship collides with any ship that is boarding/ being boarded then that ship will join in the action too. No collision damage will be taken.
9. Wind change is optional.

Bligh
10-30-2016, 03:14
Good grief man.
With a name like mine, what chance have I got!:help:
Bligh.

Bligh
10-30-2016, 04:48
Having just copied these orders Neil, I believe they should be numbered 11 not 12.
Rob.

Union Jack
10-30-2016, 06:00
Ah, shiver me rollocks and hoist me by the gunnels. Amended.

TexaS
11-02-2016, 08:42
Looks interesting.

I should run the few scenarios that's left for this year.

Hjl
11-02-2016, 08:48
I have a weekend free for the first time in ages! Looks like I can finally catch up!

Bligh
11-02-2016, 08:49
I have a cracker ready for the December solo action.

:Arrrr:"Them as dies will be the lucky ones."

With apologies to RLS.

Rob.

TexaS
11-02-2016, 08:51
I thought December would be a privateer scenario. :question:

Bligh
11-02-2016, 08:56
It will Jonas.
See above typo corrected.
I wondered just after I added the Emoticon.
Time for me afternoon nap, and another G&t. Arr!
Rob.

Bligh
11-06-2016, 13:59
Sailed this today. Superb action thanks Neil.
I will post my AAR in a few days after I recover from my losses, and some energy.
Rob.