PDA

View Full Version : War at Sea Starter: An Axis & Allies Naval Miniatures Game

Comte de Brueys
04-27-2012, 11:22
Ordered the Axis & Allies Naval Miniatures Game Starter today to skip the time till the release of Sails of Glory.

I've got a few capital ships. Bought them, because the look fantastic.

Maybe someone can told me, wich booster are worth for an additional purchase.

Berthier
04-28-2012, 01:54
Hey Sven, another money pit! You can get some bargains on ebay, but there seems to be quite a trade in the rarer large models. The small destroyers, subs etc can be had fairly cheaply and as you probably know several sites sell singles (cool stuff inc, troll & toad I think do as well, probably heaps of others). On ebay I've seen fleets being sold by nationality occasionally too.

I sold off my ships to Cool Stuff at a profit (very rare to do that these days) even with shipping from Australia to the US! Had a large number of the first two sets but had no-one who was interested in playing so i dumped them and went onto spend the cash on other "hobby" items.

Comte de Brueys
04-30-2012, 00:42
Bought the capital ships for 3,50 -10 €, years ago. (15 € for the Yamato!)

CVs: Akagi, Shokaku, Soho, Ark Royal, St.Lo, Enterprise, Princeton

BB: Yamato, Kongo, Hood, Washington, Rodney, Veneto

I've got a few subs, DDs, support ships and planes but no base set for gaming.

I hope I can use the A&A sea map for SoG gaming, too.

Churruca
04-30-2012, 10:08
Bought the capital ships for 3,50 -10 €, years ago. (15 € for the Yamato!)

CVs: Akagi, Shokaku, Soho, Ark Royal, St.Lo, Enterprise, Princeton

BB: Yamato, Kongo, Hood, Washington, Rodney, Veneto

I've got a few subs, DDs, support ships and planes but no base set for gaming.

I hope I can use the A&A sea map for SoG gaming, too.

What a cool fleet, Brueys! If also the map is useful for SoG, it's an amazing game set.

Comte de Brueys
05-21-2012, 07:10
I recieved the A&A War at Sea Starter Set today.

The naval maps looks great! Perfect for SoG gaming.

I'll report as soon as I finished my new Age of Sail warboard.

Churruca
05-21-2012, 09:07
That's great, Brueys! I hope you will enjoy it and describe the combat actions :-)

Coog
05-21-2012, 11:52
I've been tempted to start collecting A&A War at Sea ships. The ships look good. I like WII ship combat. But with WoG things continually coming out, and hopefully the game and miniatures for SoG soon, I have a hard time justifying spending on another collectable game.

Churruca
05-21-2012, 12:14
I have a hard time justifying spending on another collectable game.

I understand that feeling very well :-D

Comte de Brueys
05-25-2012, 17:05
I read the rules and the game sounds interesting.

I ordered allied cruisers, allied destroyers, allied submarines and a few axis ships at 12-7-games to have the ability to form two fleets.

Coog
05-25-2012, 17:45
I am tempted to get started on this game. I like destroyer and cruiser actions, it appears those are readily available in some basic starter sets without much expense.

Coog
06-01-2012, 13:29
Just found this Axis and Allies forum in a post by Diamondback on the WoG site. Looks like it has quite a bit of information on the game.

http://aaminis.myfastforum.org/index.php

Capt P
06-06-2012, 17:18
Just here seeing this thread. I have all the W@S sets (over 1400 models). May have to my flying partner to try this set.

Jack Aubrey
02-27-2013, 01:39
Is there a naval wargame in the age of first Worldwar?

Berthier
02-27-2013, 02:33
Well there's the old Jutland by Avalon Hill played on the floor with cardboard counters (but ships could be substituted), then there's Clash of Arms "Fear God and Dreadnought", Avalanche Games has numerous games in their Great War at Sea series. These are all board wargame based played on maps or on the floor. Some more oldies are Simulations Canada's- Form Line of Battle, SPI's "Dreadnought", XTR's Jutland, Strategy and Tactics magazine's "far seas". There's probably more but can't think of any more off the top of my head.

Diamondback
02-27-2013, 16:13
BIG money pit since WOTC has abandoned the product line. I know, I've been in since Day One, and while I'm keeping my collection, I'm trying to get all my surplus sold or traded off before end of this year.

Capt P
03-05-2013, 14:13
I suggested in another room that they could make WWI models using the same system. I see that WOTC are now into WWII air game. I bought the first set but seems complicate to me.

Sea Gull
03-06-2013, 08:04
I only bought the models, not the rules. Don't need the rules, I'll use the ships with other rules or as targets for air raids etc.

pward
04-23-2013, 17:01
Just found this Axis and Allies forum in a post by Diamondback on the WoG site. Looks like it has quite a bit of information on the game.

http://aaminis.myfastforum.org/index.php

This is a great forum for everything W@S. For those just getting in the game, the boosters from set 1 and 2 are pricy. Set three "Flank Speed" can still be found with some on-line retailers and it has some nice ships in that set, planes too. I agree with Diamondback as far as thinking seriously before buying into the game... it is a great game and the models are awesome but WotC has, it appears, made no plans to publish further sets (leaving a few of the more iconic ships out of the game). Some of the myfastforum members have produced there own cards (to use with shapeways models) which has helped, but I am still hopeful WotC will print a future set or sell the rights to allow another company to do it. I have thought about selling my collection (I have at least one of everything) but will porbably keep it for posterity - spent way too much money on this game - it was quite addictive!!!!

HMS Lydia
04-24-2013, 11:59
Steel Dreadnaught Games has both an excellent WWII and WWI miniature wargame rule system. It can be downloaded off Wargamers Vault fairly inexpensively. They are easy games to learn, and come with tons of support data. These are way better games than Victory at Sea and Age of Dreadnaughts by Mongoose.

The WWII games are titled - Naval Thunder: Battleship Row & Naval Thunder: Bitter Rivals

The WWI games are titled - Nval Thunder: Clash of Dreadnaughts & Naval Thunder: Dreadnaught Battlefleets

They also have a pre-dreadnaught game - Naval Thunder: Rise of the Battleships

My only complaint with the WWII games are the abstraction of airpower. But for surface gunnery actions, they are second to none.

Bob

7eat51
04-24-2013, 17:20
Thanks for the titles Bob. I just went there, and the company has specials running on the series:
http://www.wargamevault.com/index.php?manufacturers_id=2624

I played AH Jutland decades ago, and debated about picking it up on ebay. If I pick up the WWI game, can you recommend where to purchase WWI minis?

Coog
04-24-2013, 17:33
These companies make 1/2400 scale models. Panzerschiffe models are epoxy and a little cheaper than GHQ. GHQ are metal, highly detailed, and cost a bit more.

http://www.panzerschiffe.com/

http://www.ghqmodels.com/store/military-models-great-war-micronauts.html

HMS Lydia
04-24-2013, 17:42
Thanks for the titles Bob. I just went there, and the company has specials running on the series:
http://www.wargamevault.com/index.php?manufacturers_id=2624

I played AH Jutland decades ago, and debated about picking it up on ebay. If I pick up the WWI game, can you recommend where to purchase WWI minis?

Eric,

W@S mini's work great with the WWII rules, but they are rather large at 1/1800 scale. Also, WoTC is not continueing the line, however, Mongoose is producing 1/1800 scale mini's for the relaunch of Victory at Sea, and Shapeways sells quite a variety of 1/1800 scale WWII ships. I have purchased some of these and they are both very detailed and cost effective.

Meanwhile, if you prefer smaller scales, Panzerschiffe sells a nice line of 1/2400 scale WWI and WWII resin models at very good prices. Many people prefer GHQ Micronaughts 1/2400 because the detail is above excellent, however the price is also higher and expect a lot of assembly (personally, super glue and I never got along well together, I glue more of my fingers than the models). ALNAVCO has several manufacturers of 1/2400 scales ships, including they bought Superiors molds when Superior went out of business. Superior sells 1/2400 scale modern and WWII, the detail is greatly reduced, but the price is lower also.

My preference are the Panzershiffe resins.

http://www.panzerschiffe.com/

www.alnavco.com/

www.ghqmodels.com/pages/military/

http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/miniatures/victory-at-sea/rulebooks.html This line will get much larger, if Mongoose can ever get their act together, and I severly doubt they can, they taken on too many projects with no focus on anything, so putting out lots of products with very low production and continuity. I would hold my breath. Buy ship that are cheaper and available now!

http://www.shapeways.com/search?q=1%2F1800+naval

Let me know what you decide, another wargaming possibility when we get together.

Bob

HMS Lydia
04-24-2013, 17:44
Alright Coog beat me too it, but great minds think alike.

Cmmdre
04-24-2013, 19:01
I want to thank the Bobs for posting information on WWII minis. Just when I thought it was safe to put cash back in my wallet. Oh well...:moneygone::minis:

HMS Lydia
04-24-2013, 19:10
My motto, "Eat, Sleep, Wargame" and not neccessarily in that order.:happy:

7eat51
04-24-2013, 19:13
Thanks for the links Bobby. I just went to both sites. It is a little hard to discern the quality of the Panzerschiffe ships due to the pictures, but the GHQ ones are quite impressive. Do you know the physical dimensions of these? If I jump into the WWI genre, I would like to have some idea of playing suface size I would need, and if there is any possibility I could ever paint these. I will try my hand at 1/144 WWI planes this summer, and a 1/1200 AoS ship. My hand is already trembling. The thought of painting 1/2400 is a bit daunting.

Well I wrote the above over an hour ago, fielded a phone call, just came back and saw Bob's post. Thank you for your help Bob. I would be interested to play when we meet.

7eat51
04-24-2013, 19:15
My motto, "Eat, Sleep, Wargame" and not neccessarily in that order.:happy:

Who are Sleep and Wargame? I think the order is just fine. 7EAT51

Coog
04-24-2013, 19:23
Do you know the physical dimensions of these? If I jump into the WWI genre, I would like to have some idea of playing suface size I would need.

Here is a GHQ WWI British battleship Royal Oak.

HMS Lydia
04-24-2013, 19:31
Eric,

I have quite a few of the Panzerschiffe, the detail doesn't measure up to GHQ. But the are less expensive, and they come in a base gray. The largest issue with Panzerschiffe is they are not molded with masts. Many people add them later. I was born without the artist gene. So, I'm forced to work with the WaS and Panzerschiffe models. But there is definitely a large selection out there available, for both WWI and II naval. Roll dice and enjoy my friend. Oh for got to mention earlier, General Quarters III is also a pretty decent easy play system.

Bob

7eat51
04-24-2013, 19:32
That is much larger than I thought it would be. Besides the deck, do you paint most of the ship the same color? It looks like the small boats atop are painted as well.

As Paul said, I thought it was safe to put money back into my wallet.

Berthier
04-24-2013, 20:06
Bobby
Now that is a cutting board of a dedicated gamer, all scratched up and paint stained.. a true veteran! Oh the model is really nice as well:salute:

Berthier
04-24-2013, 20:07
And I would take it as a personal favour if you guys could stop posting places where I can spend more money. Now that I've said that and satisfied my conscience, post away.

Cmmdre
04-24-2013, 20:12
Thank you for posting the image of your model. Very motivating, I need to get back to painting not posting. :wink:

Coog
04-24-2013, 22:10
That is much larger than I thought it would be. Besides the deck, do you paint most of the ship the same color? It looks like the small boats atop are painted as well.

As Paul said, I thought it was safe to put money back into my wallet.

Bobby
Now that is a cutting board of a dedicated gamer, all scratched up and paint stained.. a true veteran! Oh the model is really nice as well:salute:

Thank you for posting the image of your model. Very motivating, I need to get back to painting not posting. :wink:

Unfortunately that's not my model...or mat. It's just a photo I found to illustrate the size to Eric.

Cmmdre
04-24-2013, 22:14
Regardless, I liked it and it reminded me to get painting. Although I do enjoy chatting with all the knowledgeable people on this site. :happy:

Skullduggery
04-25-2013, 06:06
Is there a naval wargame in the age of first Worldwar?
Mongoose also has a WWI version of Victory at Sea called Age of Dreadnaughts

CHolgren
04-25-2013, 06:15
Hey Sven, another money pit! You can get some bargains on ebay, but there seems to be quite a trade in the rarer large models. The small destroyers, subs etc can be had fairly cheaply and as you probably know several sites sell singles (cool stuff inc, troll & toad I think do as well, probably heaps of others). On ebay I've seen fleets being sold by nationality occasionally too.

I sold off my ships to Cool Stuff at a profit (very rare to do that these days) even with shipping from Australia to the US! Had a large number of the first two sets but had no-one who was interested in playing so i dumped them and went onto spend the cash on other "hobby" items.
Www.12-7games.com and www.miniaturemarket.com are good sources for singles as well. Shipping I'm sure would be an issue, but at least they're another possible resource.

HMS Lydia
04-25-2013, 07:56
Brian, was mentioned above along with the Mongoose link. Personally, I think the Mongoose "A Call to Arms" game engine works fine for Sci-Fi fantasy, but it is poor represetation of historical wargaming. Your better off playing War at Sea using the Great War cards produced on the A&A Forumini. Or better yet, set up the board and roll the dice, and high roll wins, save the hour without actual drama.

Naval Thunder is a D10 system, works just as smoothly as VaS, but D10 is actually modifiable 10% versus 16.6% per die face. I would have used a D20 for a 5% modifiable system personnaly. But D10 is preferable!

David Manley
04-25-2013, 09:29
I've tried several times to get MGP to adopt a d20 system for VAS - for me the d6 is the biggest problem with the system. Most of the developers had "issues" with it - there is a reason why GQ2 went decimal :)

daledavis67
04-25-2013, 11:49
I also have a large collection of A&A WaS miniatures. The folks here (http://aaminis.myfastforum.org/) have put together a lot of great info for the A&A games.

HMS Lydia
04-25-2013, 12:09
I've tried several times to get MGP to adopt a d20 system for VAS - for me the d6 is the biggest problem with the system. Most of the developers had "issues" with it - there is a reason why GQ2 went decimal :)

Yeah, I know you have as well as Ray. I tried to convince them that changing the die, would not require an overall change in mechanics. Oh well, we are free to purchase and play what we prefer. And Mongoose still gets a good chunk of change from me on ACTA-SF alone.

daledavis67
04-25-2013, 12:16
Yeah, I know you have as well as Ray. I tried to convince them that changing the die, would not require an overall change in mechanics. Oh well, we are free to purchase and play what we prefer. And Mongoose still gets a good chunk of change from me on ACTA-SF alone.

How is ACTA-SF?

HMS Lydia
04-25-2013, 13:02
How is ACTA-SF?

I love it! But I'm a Star Trek Original Series nerd. And played SFB going back into the early 80's when it still came in small books and ziplock baggies. ACTA-SF is excellent for playing large fleet battles in the Star Fleet Universe. I play 90% historical games, but this is by and far my favorite non-historical. And the mini's are cool, a little on the expensive side, but really detailed.

The game is supported by two companies Mongoose and Amarillio Design Bureau(ADB). So all the old familiar ships are there, but is much more playable format. Mo more 1000 page rule manuals. The entire rule book is about 27 pages, and that includes the advance rules.

I'll be at Nashcon in May just to play in a tournament.

Bob

csadn
04-25-2013, 20:35
How is ACTA-SF?

For anyone who has ever been foolish enough to try to play _Star Fleet Battles_ with more than one ship per side: It is a breath of fresh air.

HMS Lydia
04-26-2013, 10:44
For anyone who has ever been foolish enough to try to play _Star Fleet Battles_ with more than one ship per side: It is a breath of fresh air.

Agreed, SFB was not designed for multiple ships per player. A sharp experienced player maybe 2 ships. Federation Commander was supposed to be better up to 3 ships per player. In ACTA-SF a player can easily hanndle up to 10 ships.

Diamondback
04-26-2013, 14:08
For anybody looking for WaS minis, PM me what you're looking for and I'll see about quotes on what I have available. Don't know about overseas shipping though, so may need some coaching on that front. :)