PDA

View Full Version : Doncaster 2016

Capn Duff
10-03-2016, 07:53
The third annual get together of the Glory games is over for this year.
We put on three games of sails on the Saturday all very enjoyable.

Game one organised by yours truly was a fleet action. With two players a side I let each captain randomly choose from a possible eight different ships all 1st or 3rd rates. This gave a four ship squadron for the Brits and French, luckily things turned out even with each side having 1 1st rate and 3 3rd rates, victory went to the RN.

Game 2 was a Pirates v Royal Navy free for all, organised by Ensign Patch, here the Pirates were victorious although they made heavy going as they had two collisions during the game.

Game three was a British sqn attacking a French harbour complete with anchored fleet and forts protecting.
Marines were succesfully beached and the harbour invested and ships and armoury destroyed. Not without loss though

Pics will be posted this week

Comte de Brueys
10-03-2016, 08:14
I'm curious for the pictures and some AARs.

Seems that the French need to take a revanche. :hmmm:

I'll announce the presence of François-Paul Brueys d’Aigalliers for Doncaster 2017 to turn the tide. :steer:

Capn Duff
10-03-2016, 08:21
I neglected to mention the harbour being attacked was organised and modelled by Bligh and was absolutely superb.

Bligh
10-03-2016, 10:08
I'm curious for the pictures and some AARs.

Seems that the French need to take a revanche. :hmmm:

I'll announce the presence of François-Paul Brueys d’Aigalliers for Doncaster 2017 to turn the tide. :steer:

That is great news Sven.
Neil is about to release the Dates and Hotel booking information.
Rob.

David Manley
10-03-2016, 11:55
Dates and info are on the Aerodrome I believe :)

15-17 September

Premier Inn Doncaster East is the "team" hotel - I made my booking last night.

The Lord of the Lurgy will return! Bwahahahahahahah! (cough, cough, splutter)

Joshamee Gibbs
10-03-2016, 11:58
I can attest to the awesomness of Bligh's harbour, unfortunately I can't seem to post a picture of it.
It was, however, truly awesome

Bligh
10-04-2016, 13:05
Friday set up.
The prizes spread over two tables.

Rob.

Bligh
10-04-2016, 13:30
Saturday.The First Fleet action.

The French Admiral spots the British Squadron.

Admiral (Sealegs Johnson) makes his famous signal.
"Form Line of Bottles." That Flag Lt is going to have to go.

The English ships conform with the doughty Admiral in the Van.
The British tack in secession. At least Flags nearly got that one right.

The french Fleet have a bad hair day, and all go aboard each other in sheer panic.

Two to one is now the order of the day as Admiral Johnson signals "General cheese." That Lt. really can't spell.

For the French it was really all down hill from there.

An example of one of our broadsides.

The result.
French Fleet decimated.
The prizes.
Admiral (sealegs Johnson) walked away with two Frigates.
Captain Bligh with a three decker to add to their Home Fleets.

Rob.

After this I had to nip off PDQ in order to get to Neil's game of attack the Japanese Carrier.

R.

Bligh
10-04-2016, 13:38
Reserved for " The Fire ship"

Admiral Simon Patch briefs his Captains.

The Fleet with the captured French Bomb Ketch begins its approach.

The bomb begins a desultory fire on the main Fortifications.

Meanwhile the rest of the fleet approaches the coast near to the secondary battery.

A view from the supporting repeater Frigate.

The French Flagship is trained round with a spring on its cable and engages the British Flagship across the Mole.

The British Flagship, having acted as a decoy retreats.

Note the Armoury tower behind the french ships stern.

The Flagship having masked the two British 74s by taking the fire from the Battery allows them to land Marines in the cove.

The Battery is silenced and the Marines move off towards the town.

Meanwhile the harbour entrance is assailed by a British ship of the line, which is forced to capitulate to the combined fire power of the anchored ships and the Main Fortifications.
Nevertheless, it enables the Bomb ketch to slip through the harbour entrance and ram the nearest French 74.
Unfortunately its Powder fails to explode, nor does the fire started on deck spread and it sinks.

The Marines have used the confusion well, and under cover of the action set fire to the Armoury, ship in dry dock, and on the stocks before retreating to the boats.

This pic cutesy of Neil.

If time had permitted the Armoury would have undoubtedly exploded, probably taking the French Flagship with it.
Result.
French Flagship disabled, 74 damaged, and two ships in building plus stores and Armoury destroyed, for the loss of one British ship of the Line and a captured Bomb Ketch.
A British Victory. Well done Admiral Patch.

Rob.

Chris gets his picture.

Comte de Brueys
10-05-2016, 00:32
Hmmm... have to spread some rep before firing the rep gun again versus you. :wink:

Ok.

Nice AAR, Rob. :salute:

Seems that the RN ships advanced in excellent order and use the collisions of the French ships to achieve a great victory. :shock:

Some questions I have for the First Fleet Action:

Did you play with standart movement? (means two card planing and movement)

Any kind of advanced rules in play? (set sails, other crew action)

Who was in command of the Orient?

Capn Duff
10-05-2016, 01:40
Hi Sven,
For the fleet action, we used standard two card movement rules, although each ship followed the lead ship until the Admiral gave the order for individual action so for a number of moves only the lead ship planned the cards with the rest of the squadron following the path of the ship in front.
For this game we used standard rules without the crew actions and special damage although I allowed sail settings to be changed at the begining of the turn if needed and lastly Neil ( Skafloc ) ws in charge of the Orient

Bligh
10-05-2016, 02:28
Hi Sven.
Admiral sealegs Johnson gave the signal to form a separate line just as we turned towards the French Line.
The Van, Vanguard and Victory were to cut the line, whilst I came up on the other side. However, when the French decided to wear and form line abreast, I decided to ignore my orders and remain in line of battle until their real intentions became clear.
The collisions did the rest for us.
Rob.

Comte de Brueys
10-05-2016, 07:56
Thank you, Sirs. :salute:

Great scenario, Chris. :thumbsup:

Just a last question, what the wind direction was?

Bligh
10-05-2016, 08:36
Thank you, Sirs. :salute:

Great scenario, Chris. :thumbsup:

Just a last question, what the wind direction was?

I think you can just see the indicator here Sven.

http://sailsofglory.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=25684&d=1475608401

Rob.

Capn Duff
10-05-2016, 10:12
Sven if you look at post8 first pic you can see the wind direction, the wind did not change for the scenario

Redcoat
10-05-2016, 12:53
:shock: A spectacular game table
:beer:

Bligh
10-05-2016, 15:22
Only wish you had been able to get to see it in person Julián. After all you inspired it.
Rob.

Naharaht
10-05-2016, 21:04
Great pictures, Rob! :thumbsup:

Bligh
10-06-2016, 00:59
Thanks Dave.
Also a pity that you were not with us. How are you and your mum keeping?
Rob.

Comte de Brueys
10-06-2016, 06:38
Great second "Fire Ship" AAR with a beautiful setup, Rob!

Rep gun was cleared - broadside fired. :cannonboom:

Old Salt
10-06-2016, 07:24
Rep gun jammed to bad thanks Rob for great pics

Union Jack
10-06-2016, 16:14
Alas we French ran afoul of the wind and a faster 74 coming broadside on. After that, as the British say, it was a forgone conculsion aswe took on the combined British piecemeal. Bligh certainly got revenge for Prague!