PDA

View Full Version : September Nation v Nation Mission Brief - The real Fog of War.

Bligh
09-08-2016, 08:24
Your Squadron has been attempting to overhaul and Enemy Squadron of a similar size to your own all day, Just as your ships come within striking distance, and have formed Line of Battle, a sea mist envelopes both groups of ships.

Your commander has issued standing instructions for your ships to remain at two ship lengths apart. at this distance, through the mist, you can just make out the hooded stern lantern of the ship in front.
Unbeknown to you, the Enemy commander decided to alter course as the fog descended to try and give you the slip.
His ships were soon in disarray, and are now trying desperately to re-contact the rest of the Squadron.

THE GAME OUTLINE.

Your ships will continue in Line ahead.

Each time you play a card follow this routine.

ONE.

Throw 2D six for each ship . If the dice throw coincides with the order that your ship is in line. Eg. ship no 2 in line throws a two on either dice. then an enemy ship will loom up out of the fog at three quarters of a ruler distance. The sum of the dice will determine its position to your ship. Only play a 12 dead ahead for ship one in the line. If this or six astern is thrown for any but the first or last ship, re roll as this result may cause the ship to materialize in the middle of another ship.

TWO.

To discover its heading, use the wind direction indicator chits, or a wind direction dice.

Draw one at random and that is the heading.

THREE.

The enemy ship now uses the Solo template to decide its movement. It will continue to use this until it sails beyond three quarters of a ruler from any other enemy ship. It is then lost in the fog again.

All ships in play then move.

Note the prevailing wind direction as shown above.

FOUR.

Enemy ships so lost will be recycled together with accrued damage in strict order until your Squadron reaches the other end of the playing area, at which time the two Squadrons are deemed to have passed each other.
The Squadron with the least damage has won.
WARNING. Do not stray from the vision of your compatriots in the line.
Any of your ships so doing will be fired upon by the rest of your Squadron in mistake for an enemy. After all the Captains know that you are all in Battle line. Thus any ship not conforming must be an interloper.

No ship will exceed Fighting sails in the Fog, but may reduce sails as the situation merits.

Range for firing is limited to half a ruler.

Good Luck and keep a good lookout in the bows.

Bligh.

Bos'n
09-11-2016, 20:55
Question

If the fog is so thick that you can barely see the hooded lantern of the ship in front of you, wouldn't you just follow it wherever it goes. If I have three ships in formation and ship 2 breaks formation wouldn't ship 3 follow and if ship 1 fired on ship 2 wouldn't ship 3 fire on ship 1 thinking it was the enemy. This could get very complicated if you begin to over think this rule. :question::cannon:

Bligh
09-12-2016, 04:58
And that Bob is why I always set open ended Briefs.
If you can justify it within the rules go for it. Do whatever keeps your boat afloat.
Just like the rules for landing parties. How often are they employed if not suggested in the Brief?
I love to see how my Shipmates here solve the problem set.
Mainly just have fun with your game.
Rob.

Hjl
09-12-2016, 05:27
I'm looking forward to giving this a try.

TexaS
09-24-2016, 14:30
So... Basically the sum of the two dice is the direction of where the enemy appears compared to your own ship?

You removed how the sum would decide where the ship would appear.

Couldn't the sum of 2 be dead ahead and 12 be astern and then roll for larboard or starboard. That would make it most probable that a ship would appear on the larboard/starboard beam and ships couldn't appear exactly in the line. (if it's still a straight line)

Bligh
09-24-2016, 15:23
If that suits you better by all means adopt it Jonas. It is just a method to get a random effect for the arrival of enemy ships.
Rob.

Hjl
09-24-2016, 18:32
I've been trying to get an afternoon free for weeks now! Has anyone played yet? I'm eager to see an AAR

Bligh
09-25-2016, 01:49
I will try to get my AAR written up today Hugh.
Rob.

Hjl
11-06-2016, 17:12
I finally got to play this game! It was pretty interesting, the French committed suicide in my double shotted cannon. It was glorious.

Bligh
11-07-2016, 03:17
Glad to hear that it worked for you Hugh.
With the fog closing down the range, it was a great chance to employ double shot and those close range chain and grape shot options.
Rob.