PDA

View Full Version : AAR June Intercept: The Attache

Bos'n
09-01-2016, 17:01

16 Safar 1216 A.H.
From: Grand Admiral the Navy of the Eyalet of Tripoli, Murad Reis
To: His Highness Yusuf Karamanli, Pasha of Tripoli,

Sir:
You asked me to capture and bring to you the person of the new attaché of the American government to Sicily and so I have. Mr. Abercrombie Erasmus is in the hold of Meshuda awaiting your convenience.

Your servant,
Murad Reis

The Story:

“Sail off the port beam!” called the lookout from the mainmast.

“What be she?” Murad Reis shouted, his voice giving his words a soft burr betraying his Scottish heritage.

“Frigate, American I think.” Came the answer.

“Mufasa, what course?” The admiral’s mind was already beginning to plan the encounter.

“Same as ours, Excellency.”

“Keep a sharp eye.”

The soft, fine, yellow beard blew in the wind, another betrayal of his foreign nature. Born in Scotland, he signed on as an American common seaman, was captured, and began his life as an Arab. He was married to the daughter of the Pasha of Tripoli and given his old ship, the Betsy, to command. She was renamed Meshuda and released into the Mediterranean, to scavenge and to hunt.

Reis turned to his second in command and friend, Siyyid Adami ibn Jafra-i-Sfax, with the twinkle in his eye that meant action.

“Well Adami, what do you think?” he said, “ Do you think that the American official is on that ship?”

“We could stop her and look,” Adami answered, “After all we are at war and we could always use another ship in the Pasha’s service.”

“Well then, remove any sign of our allegiance to Tripoli and let us gradually sidle up to the American and give her a small surprise,” commanded Reis, “We must look the part of a merchant once again.”

The ship sailed on, its course parallel to the American frigate, but every so often swerving to port, then correcting. Each swerve brought the two ships closer together. The westerly wind made for easy sailing with Meshuda just a little faster; she began to pass her prey.

The crew had breakfast, scrubbed the decks, mended sails, and repaired all that needed attention; all the while keeping a weather eye on their prey. By mid-morning the Barbary sailors could make out individuals on the American vessel and could clearly identify a civilian in the latest finery stand with the officers on the bridge of the General Greene. An officer, presumably the captain, was having a very animated conversation with the gentleman; first pointing at Meshuda then at the man’s chest. The argument went on for several minutes before their gun ports opened and the cannons were rolled out.

“Battle stations my friends, aim for the sails,” came the order.

“Helm, hard to port!”

“Fire as we cross her bow!”

The gunner’s aim was as good as their timing. Splinters and iron balls tore into the American crew as large chunks of the bow disappeared in a cloud of smoke. Sails were torn and rigging tangled, but no mast came down.

The General Greene spun to port and gave the Tripolitanians a full broadside. While the ship rocked with the force of the artillery, few of the crew was hurt.

“ Hard to starboard and give the infidels a taste of our other broadside!” came Reis’s command.

“They match our every move,” Sayyid Amadi shouted at his commander, “The snake is at our heels.”

“She turns beside us,” The helmsman cried.”

As the combatants came side by side they loosed a second exchange of fire, broadside to broadside.

“Look!” came the voice of the men, “The mizzen mast is down!”
The voices weren’t as loud as the admiral expected, then he saw the bodies on the deck. The carnage had been costly. Dozens lay writhing in their own blood, others struggled to do their duty; worst of all were the number that didn’t move at all.

“Helm, hard to starboard!” came his command.

“Grappling hooks away!” Musketry came from the masts and yards of both ships as grappling hooks entangled the two vessels together.

The Americans fired into the Arab’s hull, but Reis held his gunners back, no wanting to harm the attaché.

“Take revenge, but bring me the civilian; now board!

Sayyid Amadi lead the Barbary boarders as they swarmed over the side and onto the foredeck of the General Greene. There 20 marines met them, muskets leveled, bayonets fixed. Amadi was one of the first to crumple and under shock of the barrage of musket fire. The organized ranks of red-coated marines used their bayonets with devastating results and drove Arab onslaught back.

With too few crewmen able to carry the fight back to the enemy, Admiral Reis had little choice.

“Lower your aim and shoot for the waterline. If we can’t capture the rascal, then we can keep him from reaching his post. FIRE!”
The broadside was devastating. The rudder was shot away and the leak that would eventually sink the American began below the waterline. Their captain, without other options, struck their flag.

The Barbary sailors rushed aboard the doomed ship and quickly searched for what they thought would be the body of the attaché. They found him instead cowering in his bunk; eyes wet, nose running, and lower lip quivering.

“So this is the man the Pasha wanted so badly,” thought Murad Reis Grand Admiral the Navy of the Eyalet of Tripoli.

USS General Greene

Meshuda

Captured the American attache
Sunk The General Green

Union Jack
09-02-2016, 12:04
You need a bigger ship my friend. Great AAR.

Bligh
10-05-2016, 05:06
Good to see Murad Reis in action again Bob. I was missing his exploits,and this episode certainly does you justice.
What an exciting tale.
Well done again, but expect the American Fleet in a few months time.

Rob.

Bos'n
10-06-2016, 02:13
Good to see Murad Reis in action again Bob. I was missing his exploits,and this episode certainly does you justice.
What an exciting tale.
Well done again, but expect the American Fleet in a few months time.

Rob.

My tales are inspired by a great storyteller from across the waves. Thanks. :minis: