PDA

View Full Version : Going on shore leave.

Bligh
08-01-2016, 01:28
Shipmates.
From tomorrow I will be off line until Thursday or Friday, as I'm off to a wedding of a friend in Scotland.
The applications for medals and new members will therefore be a bit slower than usual. I will catch up next weekend.
Bligh.

Hjl
08-01-2016, 07:26
Have fun!

Bligh
08-06-2016, 14:09
Here are a few photographs from our sojourn at Culzean Castle for my CO.s wedding.
What we did not know was that he had provided the Eisenhower Suite for our stay.

Some artillery from the entrance hall.

The view of the mortar battery from our dressing room window.

Close up of the central Mortar.

The artillery pieces below our bedroom window.

The third floor center windows show the bedroom and the gun positions.

This shot through the arc shows the whole of our suite.
Round turret was just in front of the bathroom. Next three windows to the left of it the dressing room.
The center turret was the toilet.
Two windows set back our bedroom and extreme left the day room. Just out of shot was the dining room which we shared with the other wedding guests.
I still don't quite believe it.

Rob.

Naharaht
08-06-2016, 14:40
I am sorry, Rob, but I cannot see your photographs and I am using Firefox.

I watched the film 'Cromwell' on t.v. this afternoon. Were you by any chance involved in any of the battle scenes for that film?

Bligh
08-06-2016, 16:13
I will try to re post one of the pictures in PNG tomorrow Dave, and see if that helps you. It may be a J Peg formatting problem, although that would be unusual.
Rob.

Bligh
08-07-2016, 12:41
Can you see this now.:question:

Rob.

Bligh
08-07-2016, 12:53
I watched the film 'Cromwell' on t.v. this afternoon. Were you by any chance involved in any of the battle scenes for that film?

None of us were used in the film Cromwell Dave.
Just as well really because it was about as historically accurate as Braveheart, but without the Northumbrian pipes.
We are still trying to convince people at enactments that Cromwell was no more than a good commander of Cavalry until well after the founding of the NMA in 1644, and that first Essex and then Lord Fairfax were Lord General up until the trial of the King, when Fairfax resigned and Cromwell came to the fore. The part about Cromwell being present when the King came to the Commons demanding the arrest of the five members was eyewash, let alone his being one of the named five. He was in East Anglia raising a troop of horse at the time.
Maybe if they had used one of our experts some of the bloopers could have been avoided.
Rob.

Naharaht
08-07-2016, 13:16
I can see all your pictures today, Rob, and I am using Google Chrome. Annoying isn't it?

Thank you for exposing all the errors in the Cromwell film. It is a pity that Hollywood feels that it has to 'improve' on history.

Bligh
08-07-2016, 13:32
You are welcome Dave.
We did contribute to the BBC series "By the Sword Divided." My oppo Bilbo Christie was the Historical adviser on that one, and the chaps got a lot of the action scenes to do. We have also been in "Midsomer Murders." Don't ask!
And Eileen was caught drumming in the closing titles to one of the ghost walks series.
Rob.

Bligh
11-16-2016, 13:16
In case any of you chaps missed my post in the Wardroom.
I will be out of reliable touch from the Anchorage from Thursday AM until late Sunday night so will not be able to respond to any new membership requests. Please bear with me. I will try to process PMs, and medal requests as time permits.
Rob.

Hjl
11-16-2016, 17:22
Have fun!

Bligh
11-17-2016, 01:16
Thanks Hugh.
It will certainly be a rest, and my son will be cat sitting so no need for kennels for it.
Rob.