PDA

View Full Version : HMS Unite and Cleopatra vs Aquilon

Hjl
07-30-2016, 20:29
This is an experiment in both using the new online solo movement calculator and canister shot.

Im using two frigates against a 3rd. Typically this would be a very hard fight and the third should win the majority of the time.

The plan is to get in close and to barrage the French 3rd rate with grapeshot. Mathematically this should be a good strategy, the biggest concern is getting in close enough to make the grapeshot count.

---

The online movement calculator seems to be making some odd moves. It is probably user error though.

---

distance closing.

---

almost in range

---

I turn my frigates to try and get in front of the Aquilon.

---

First shots. Grape seems to be working. HMS Unite takes a beating but im not too concerned.

---

HMS Unite drifts as the crew repair the mast and it punches more grape shot into the Aquilon. 2 rounds of cannon fire and 4 crew dead on the French ship

---

I load ball into HMS Cleo and Unite so that i can fire at range. 5 crew boxes on the Aquilon.

---

The ships maneuver to get firing positions.

---

More of the same

---

More ball shots on the Aquilon from range.

---

Musket fire on the Aquilon, the solo app orders the wrong broadside to fire.

---

HMS Cleo fires another grapeshop broadside into Aquilon, 8 crew boxes filled. Not looking good for the Frenchman.

The Aquilon returns fire with a fully undamaged broadside. Here is the downside to grapeshot, it cuts down the crew but does no damage to the ship. It doesnt reduce its firepower at all.

HMS Cleo is in trouble.

---

Maneuvering.

---

HMS Cleo takes another huge broadside and strikes.

---

HMS Unite to the rescue. A grapshot broadside and muskets fill the remaining slot and the Frenchman strikes.

---

Hjl
07-30-2016, 20:32
So there you have it. I think that canister shot has been very much underused and underrated for a long time. It is absolutely devastating against the biggest ships.

There is almost no way that two frigates could do enough damage to a 3rd to make it strikes before getting blowing to kindling themselves. Grapeshot lets them pick off the crew.

The solo movement calculator is good. It needs a little bit of an explanation of how the relative bearing works (perhaps a picture) Other than that is is very thorough and creates a good opponent.

Capn Duff
07-31-2016, 01:14
Interesting experiment, although the instances that you came into musket range it looks like the SoL didnt fire her marines,was that the case?

Hjl
07-31-2016, 07:52
It is, the solo at didn't predict it and issue the order to.

DGH
08-01-2016, 01:47
Very nice review! Like the pictures with it swell!
The initial odd manoeuvring is likely due to the software always trying to get into the best firing position. So maybe when you are trying to move in from a nice angle, the software is trying to wait for you with a full broadside down the front of your deck!
The solo software doesn't have marines in it yet. Will be good to find some time to add it soon.
About the wrong broadside, there 2 instances when the order for the "wrong" broadside can be given.
1. if in the crew selection it has been stated a secondary target might be in that area
2. if the relative heading feature is used to extrapolate the target moving into that side of the ship

If I look at your picture it could've been number 1, and it could've been number 2 seeing you are not that familiar with the relative heading feature.

Best is to see the solo ship as a compass rose pointing at 0 degrees. Imagine the target ship (with it's current heading) is placed on top of the solo ship and then read in your mind which relative heading it's going for.
Also note that I have taken a wide area for broadsides to fire. It really bummed me out that the software didn't take a clear shot because I tried getting the firing angles very precise. Rather order to shoot more than less seeing it is an action that doesn't need to be executed.

But very nice seeing someone else use my software in action!

Bligh
08-01-2016, 13:19
Strange!
I was sure that I had made a comment on this, and how interesting the outcome was.
It is great to see experimental work taking place out of the heated world of competitive gaming.
I must run a few trials myself.
Thanks for your effort in this Hugh.
Rob.

Hjl
08-01-2016, 21:23
I look forward to seeing your aar Rob. I dont have time for more than a few games a month at the moment so its hard to build a reliable set of results.

SGN_StevenE
08-18-2016, 23:29
This was a nice read... Where can one find the "Solo Movement Calculator"?

Bligh
08-19-2016, 01:17
You can read all about it here Steve.

http://sailsofglory.org/showthread.php?4174-Digital-Game-Aides-Solitaire-Play

And see more here:-

http://www.digital-game-aides.com/

For more info PM DGH.

Rob.