PDA

View Full Version : AAR. July Nation v Nation. Take and Destroy.

Bligh
07-14-2016, 13:34
Preamble.

It took Rear Admiral Pound far longer to get his Squadron to sea than usual. The repairs from the last mission were not the problem, and even the captured Spanish 74 was seaworthy, with the new gilded name HMS Phoenix proudly emblazoned upon her transom. The Dockyard maties had worked double hard when a bit of the prize money had been channeled their way. The problem was the outbreak of Typhus rampaging through the crews. It had arrived with the Spanish prizes, and was decimating the Fleet. Having scraped together all the hands he could and assigned them to other ships, all he could muster were enough to man his Flagship, HMS Royal George, and the two 74s Bellerophon, and the new Phoenix. Even with these depleted crews, he could not muster enough hands to crew the Frigates. Taylor had promised to get Amelia underway on the next tide, but with a French Squadron of unknown size rampaging through these waters, he dare not wait for her, and thus sailed with the morning tide, blind to the enemy's whereabouts.
Within the hour his lookouts espied the French, and it was immediately clear to the Admiral, that he was not only outnumbered, but that the enemy held the weather gauge.
Rapidly the signal flags rose and fell as he spelled out his plan of action to his Captains aboard the Flagship. Boats came and went as the Squadrons slowly closed. The final signal was made to form line of battle, and engage the enemy closely.
That done, all the Admiral could do was pace his Quarter Deck in company with his Senior Captain Josiah Pennyman and await the inevitable onslaught. It would at least be interesting to see how Porter in the Phoenix handled the Carronades installed during the refit of the Spanish ship.

Bligh
07-14-2016, 13:35
July Nation v Nation. Take and Destroy.

As the French gradually closed, Pound could see that they comprised four 74s, so no First Rate. That was one advantage then.

His three ships were now in Line ahead with his own ship under the command of Captain Pennyman in the middle. He wryly reflected on the jokes when he had appointed his Flag Captain. "In for a Pennyman in for a Pound." Well this time he was in for giving the Frogs a good Pounding.
He could see that the leading Frenchman "Redoubtable" as the ship's Master informed him, was heading as if to cut the line between himself and Porter in the Phoenix. setting more sail he closed the gap to Porter forcing the Frenchman to Starboard his helm to avoid a collision. With an adroitness which astounded him Porter turned to Port a couple of points and Raked the French ship with his first broadside, double shotted and all.

The devastation was immense. Carronades obliterated the bow, and sails, rigging, blocks and tackle rained down on the heads of the crew, whilst cannon were tossed aside like mere toys, as each gun came to bear. The lower deck battery cleaning out the bowels of the French ship like a hurricane, sweeping it from stem to stern.

As Redoubtable swung away from the Maelstrom of shot, Porter commanded his helm a lee and rounding the stern of the 74, raked it again with the reloaded Carronades and single shot.
This completed the task, and even as what was left of the Redoutable's cannon barked out at the British Flagship, her colours came tumbling down in a token of surrender.

By now Porter was busy exchanging musketry from the foretop with the next in line, Le Swiftsure.

Royal George having taken some damage from Redoutable's last gasp, now followed Porter round to starboard, in order to come to grips with the next 74.in the French Line.

Even as he was putting a Prize crew off to take charge of the Redoutable, Porter was intent on placing his ship in a position to cut the enemy line between Swiftsure and the last two ships.

Passing smoothly between the Swiftsure and Le Berwick, he raked the former by the stern, and the latter with the first broadside of his Port battery.

Swiftsure had meanwhile hit the reloading Royal George, and done some serious damage to it, holing it below the waterline, bringing down sails and damaging the steering.

Their own ship was in not much better condition, with the mizzen mast gone by the board, and a fire had broken out on the main deck.
She was the second Frenchman to strike within 15 minutes.

Luck now played a serious part in the action. Phoenix was now taken aback for the second time in succession, and this cleared the path for Le Berwick to follow Swiftsure. Unfortunately for both ships, this place Porter back into the middle of the upheaval, and swung him round away from the action.

Also a precipitate move by Swiftsure's captain to avoid a collision, caused the Commerce de Bordeaux to run a foul of her stern and entangle.

This did more damage to Swiftsure, than Commerce, but enabled the British ships a breathing space to repair damage.

As the Phoenix gathered way once more, Porter again raked the Swiftsure's bow before trying to pick his way through the disabled French ships.

Now getting into action for the first time, although Royal George could only bring his forward battery to bear, his double shot first firing was the coup de grace for Le Berwick, and it too surrendered.

The victory for the British now looked assured, with three ships still afloat, and one not even engaged yet, they could move in at their leisure and disable the last French 74.

At that precise moment, the Royal George lost headway and fell off the wind.Her crew decimated by Le Berwick's broadside, she could no longer be controlled and was forced to strike.

Disentangling itself at last, Bordeaux's captain put his helm over hard a Port, and setting all sail started to move off, intent on showing the British a fresh pair of heels.

Although totally undamaged, HMS Bellerophon could not clear the wrecked ships without coming into the eye of the wind, and was thus left on the wrong end of the battle line.

All that stood between Commerce and the open sea was the Phoenix, who having just cleared the last of the floating hulks emerged from the smoke of battle like some avenging angel, right in the path of the Bordeaux.
Porter's raking shot was inevitable.

Men and the mainmast fell together on the decks of the last French 74.
In his haste Porter's ship was again taken all aback, which only served to bring her unused Starboard battery into play as the two ships passed each other on opposite courses.

The Bordeaux's Captain Gerrard, was struggling to get the fallen main mast jury rigged, but showing great elan, ordered his guns to return fire.

Although, both broadsides were feeble compared to those delivered earlier in the battle, Gerrard finally knocked the stuffing out of Porter's so far victorious crew, and the ship could fight no more.

With his own vessel in dire straights, Gerrard could not even muster a boarding party to take the Phoenix, and warned that Belleraphon had finally cleared the Fleet and was giving chase, he tried to nurse his damaged ship away towards a fog bank which was rapidly forming on the horizon.

The race was now on.

With Bellerophon in hot pursuit, Gerrard just managed to disappear into the fog before Captain Sterling could come up with him.

Very wisely Sterling decided that the remaining disabled ships were more in need of succour, than he was of prize money, so coming about he headed back to the aid of his Admiral and compatriots.

Bligh.

Bligh
07-16-2016, 08:28
The Butcher's Bill.

By the time that Captain Rufus Taylor and the Frigate HMS. Amelia arrived late into the afternoon all that was left to do was assist in supplying damage parties to the ships which Bellerophon had not already taken in hand.
Ships too damaged to get underway were towed back into harbour in a series of journeys, until all was ready for them to dry dock if needed.

Commerce de Bordeaux. Escaped. One crew remaining.

Redoutable. Struck. Six crew remaining. Five pts for prize money.

Le Swiftsure. Struck.Four crew remaining. Five points for Prize money.
24205Le Berwick. Struck.No crew remaining. Five points for prize money.

HMS Phoenix. Captain Joseph Porter Struck. Two victories. RTP. 10 pts prize money.
Hull 5 boxes lost. Crew after adjustment for sick, returning prize crew, and let the men drink five boxes lost.
24209HMS Royal George. Captain Pennyman. Struck. One victory.RTP.Five pts prize money.
Hull boxes lost 6. Crew after adjustment for sick, returning prize crew, and let men drink,seven boxes lost.
24210HMS Bellerophon. Captain Richard Sterling. RTP. No damage. No crew losses.

Bligh.

Dr.Maturin
07-16-2016, 09:49
A noble action indeed Sir! Will Porter get a promotion for this result. He must have something, surely?

Bligh
07-16-2016, 12:51
New boy on the block so probably not Reg.
Rob.

Dr.Maturin
07-16-2016, 17:10
Shame Sir. Damnable shame. I shall write to my MP on the matter. New or not he handled the Phoenix like a veteran and must have something for his endeavour.

Hjl
07-16-2016, 17:30
A good game and excellent write up. I'm determined to do my two games this weekend!

jazerjay
07-16-2016, 20:42
This is awesome....my games never turn out this exciting. You mentioned carronades in your write up, what rules are you using?

jazerjay
07-16-2016, 22:03
Also, where do you get the broadside clouds of smoke? Do you make those? Thanks

Bligh
07-17-2016, 01:15
Morning Carl.
The smoke is from our very own Anchorage Store run by Keith. I find they are easier to handle than cotton wadding which keeps getting tangled in the masts.
I keep meaning to paint the backs light grey to simulate unloaded guns, so they can be turned over during the unloading phase.
Rob.

Bos'n
07-17-2016, 09:59
Preamble.

It took Rear Admiral Pound far longer to get his Squadron to sea than usual. The repairs from the last mission were not the problem, and even the captured Spanish 74 was seaworthy, with the new gilded name HMS Phoenix proudly emblazoned upon her transom. The Dockyard maties had worked double hard when a bit of the prize money had been channeled their way. The problem was the outbreak of Typhus rampaging through the crews. It had arrived with the Spanish prizes, and was decimating the Fleet. Having scraped together all the hands he could and assigned them to other ships, all he could muster were enough to man his Flagship, HMS Royal George, and the two 74s Bellerophon, and the new Phoenix. Even with these depleted crews, he could not muster enough hands to crew the Frigates. Taylor had promised to get Amelia underway on the next tide, but with a French Squadron of unknown size rampaging through these waters, he dare not wait for her, and thus sailed with the morning tide, blind to the enemy's whereabouts.
Within the hour his lookouts espied the French, and it was immediately clear to the Admiral, that he was not only outnumbered, but that the enemy held the weather gauge.
Rapidly the signal flags rose and fell as he spelled out his plan of action to his Captains aboard the Flagship. Boats came and went as the Squadrons slowly closed. The final signal was made to form line of battle, and engage the enemy closely.
That done, all the Admiral could do was pace his Quarter Deck in company with his Senior Captain Josiah Pennyman and await the inevitable onslaught. It would at least be interesting to see how Porter in the Phoenix handled the Carronades installed during the refit of the Spanish ship.

Your storytelling is great, as usual. I felt like I was reading something from Hornblower or Aubrey. The quip about pennies and pounds, well planned.

I agree with the others who believe Porter deserves distinction; a medal or a fat pay check.

Bligh
07-17-2016, 13:46
Thanks Bob.
When Neil asked us for names for our Captains I just used anything to do with money, hence the names of some of my Captains, Pound, Pennyman, Sterling, Groat,Tanner, and Farthing. The only exception being Taylor from the last year's campaign,and the new boy Porter, whom you may have your ideas about. The pun on the names just occurred whilst I was fleshing out the Brief that we had been given, so no real deep thinking I'm afraid.
Thanks for your interest and kind remarks.
Rob.

Hjl
07-19-2016, 23:34
the Phoenix is setting about making something of a name for itself I see. I look forward to seeing more of her in the coming months.

How did you find the carronades? Nicely balanced? I have looked at the rules and felt that they might remove some of the tactical aspect of firing every other turn, I'd be eager to hear an experienced opinion.

Bligh
07-20-2016, 02:21
I felt that my system worked for me, but I'm a get in close and hit 'em hard merchant.
Allow Carronades to fire double shotted as do the normal Long guns, every other move, and to balance the no long shots bit, every card if single shotted. i did not bother about the extra angle allowed rule.
Rob.