PDA

View Full Version : Solo Play AI pump water action

G-Two
07-10-2016, 12:15
I was play-testing an application for solo play, and I realized the AI ships were never pumping water if I used the standard movement rules for an Advanced Rules game. I checked the rulebook, pg. 49 to check the action sequence for non-player ships:

1) Fire musketry, if there is a target in range.
2) Extinguish fire, if there is one.
3) Repair a leak, if there is one.
4) Fire a broadside, if it is loaded and there is a target in range (even when unloaded, if the
Continuous Fire rule is in use).
5) Reload a broadside, if it is unloaded.
6) Repair damages, in this order:
a) Damage points, if a least one damage box is completely filled by repairable damage, and
the action has not been used in this game by that ship.
b) A damaged mast, if one is broken and one has not been repaired before.
c) A damaged rudder, if it is broken.

No pump water action... In the application, I inserted the action between 5 and 6. (Fred Miracle's movement rules places it between 2 and 3)
What are your thoughts one this? Was the Pump Water action looked over, or intentionally left out of the solo rules?

Bligh
07-11-2016, 04:43
I would think it had just been overlooked Gregory.
To be honest, I had not noticed that it was missing.
Rob.

Union Jack
10-16-2016, 12:49
As repair a leak would take precedence over pump water (this action preveents damage but does not repair the leak) then I think it is a moot point. If they can fix it they will why pump?

Bligh
10-16-2016, 13:20
The only time that I can think of using it is if you have two leaks or more at the same time and only one available action spare.
Rob.

G-Two
10-16-2016, 13:23
The pump action removes the water damage. After they have repaired the leak, (which, of course, would take precedence,) there's still water damage that can be repaired. Since repairing a leak is a delayed action, and leak damage is applied at t the beginning of the turn, the damaged ship would take a minimum of two water damaged before the leak is repaired. The omission of the pump water action would mean that AI ships can never repair water damage once incurred.

Bligh
10-16-2016, 13:30
Good point Gregory.
Rob.

Union Jack
10-16-2016, 15:30
Then:

Repair any leak or pump water if leak is repaired.

G-Two
10-17-2016, 12:31
Then:

Sounds good to me. :)

Bligh
10-17-2016, 13:36
Then:

Makes sense to me too Neil.
Rob.

TexaS
10-17-2016, 15:03
Only it will never spend two actions to save the ship when running low on boxes. Doing both with the only two actions I had have saved the day for me. On the other hand, it would be too complicated to make a perfect chart.