PDA

View Full Version : The Blockade of la riviere Artibonite

Bos'n
07-05-2016, 18:46
Changes to the Scenario

1. Down sized both fleets because the largest American ships were the 44 gun 1st Class frigates USS United States, USS Constitution, and USS President each carrying around 60 guns.
a. American Squadron
i. USS Constitution (Flag) replaces 100-gun ship
ii. USS Constellation replaces 74-gun ship
iii. USS Philadelphia replaces 74-gun ship
iv. USS Essex replaces the frigate
b. French Squadron
i. Carmagnole
ii. Dryade
iii. Courageuse
iv. Unite
v. Le Succes

___________________ . ___________________

To: Captain Samuel Nicholson, Commodore, Caribbean Squadron
Re: Promotions and Reassignments

Sir:
Samuel Nickolson is to retain command of USS Constitution and take command of the Caribbean Squadron
William Bainbridge is to assume command of USS United States upon arrival.
William Perry Jones is promoted to 1st Lieutenant USS United States.

Your servant,
Benjamin Stoddert,
Secretary of the Navy

To: Captain Thomas Truxton, USS Constellation
Captain Stephan Decatur Sr., USS Philadelphia
Captain Edwin Preble, USS Essex
From: Captain Samuel Nicholson, Commodore; Caribbean Squadron
Re: The Blockade of la rivière Artibonite, Hispaniola

Gentlemen,
I have received word this morning that a number of French warships are taking refuge in la riviere Artibonite on the island of Hispaniola. The source of this information was not specific as to the number or names of the ships in the fleet. It is your job to ascertain the validity of the information and, if true, to make sure none of the ships leave their refuge. Should a French warship or privateer attempt to leave the environs, she is to be identified, captured or sunk. If the opportunity should arise, we are authorized to use whatever force is necessary to enter the French sanctuary to identify, capture or sink the enemy vessels.

I would like to capture as many of the French vessels as possible so aim high gentlemen; aim high.

Yours,
Captain Samuel Nicholson,
Commodore,
Caribbean Squadron

USS Constituion: Squadron Log
Samuel Nicholson, Commodore
May 10: A major storm of possible hurricane force is brewing in the Larger Antilles. For safety sake I am taking the larger ships out to sea and leaving the USS Essex to keep an eye on the estuary of the river Artibonite. Capt. Preble was given instructions to leave the area if he felt he might flounder and lose the ship.

To: Captain Samuel Nicholson, Commodore; Caribbean Squadron
Re: Action of May 21, 1800 at the river Artibonite

Sir:
It was a joy to see the rest of the blockading ships returning to station. My hope is that all went well for them during the storm. I was fortunate to receive some shelter from Hispaniola herself and weathered the storm within sight of the estuary mouth.

In the middle of the morning watch the forward watch, Mr. Jains sighted the first of what turned out to be five French warships using the easterly winds to leave their sanctuary on the island of Hispaniola. As each ship left the river mouth she would turn to the south as if to make for either Île de la Gonâve or Porto-au Prince itself.

I ordered a gentle turn to starboard which allowed the larger ships of our blockading squadron to lead in the conflict that was about to erupt.

We were able to identify the lead ship as Dryade, and then signal the rest of the squadron of a several ships trying to leave their sanctuary.

USS Constitution, USS Constellation, and USS Philadelphia sped past our location at full sail reaching the French fleet before I could complete my turn. The battle was on.

Constitution engaged Dryade delivering to her a mighty broadside in a devastating raking shot to her bow. Dryade answered with her forward battery. The second enemy ship in line turned out to be Carmagnole, their flagship. She fired on Constitution as well.

Constitution plowed onward engaging Carmagnole then racing past Courageuse to block the French retreat to the river.

Dryade was left to Constellation and Philadelphia. They drew up on either side poor Dryade before she could reload her port guns. The distruction was horrific and permanent.

She caught fire and slipped below the waves. Essex was fortunate to play a small part in the sinking with a long shot from our broadside.

Constellation went on to exchange forward battery and musket fire with Unite. Philadelphia assisted Constitution with Carmagnole. In all the fracas Courageuse rammed the stern of her flagship.

Both Constellation and Philadelphia used their on Le Succes and Carmagnole repectively and their starboard broadsides on Courageuse. Courageuse used both the starboard and port forward batteries to defend herself. Carmagnole and Courageuse strike their colors within minutes of each other leaving the smaller ships to fend for themselves.

Le Succès turned sharply and braved the American withering fire. She was the only ship to remain in the hands of the French.

Unite saw her chance and made a break for the freedom offered to the south.

Essex turned sharply, lining herself alongside the Frenchman. Our demand for surrender was refused and the two ships let loose their broadsides.

Essex lowered sails, dropping to battle and slowing just enough to come in behind Unite and to send a raking broadside into her bow. That was enough for her, and she struck.

The victory was ours and our small ship played no small part in it.
We sunk one large frigate, Dryade, captured two large frigates and one medium frigate, and sent Le Succes, a medium frigate, scurrying back the way she came from.

Dryade (sunk) 15 points divided between Constitution, Constellation, Philadelphia, and Essex

Carmagnole (captured) 20 points divided between Constitution and Philadelphia

Courageuse (captured) 20 points divided between Constellation and Philadelphia

Unite (captured) 20 points divided between Constellation and Essex

Le Succes (returned to port) 10 points to the Emperor Nepoleon

Constitution

Constellation

Philadelphia

Essex

These ship worked together as a team and their crews will share equa

Bligh
07-06-2016, 03:04
Very impressive Bob.
I loved your modifications to fit in with the American aspect of the game.
The write up was very clear and concise too.
Could we maybe get a glimpse of your American squadron ships close up without the fog of war. I would love to see them.
Rob.

Well Rep worthy.
Bligh.

Hjl
07-19-2016, 23:44
A very bloody battle. Well won though. The French lost 4 to your 1 by my count. The Constitution will be limping back to port though it seems.

I like the use of polystyrene as gun smoke, it looks good!