PDA

View Full Version : Cardboard Ship Game

Coog
04-14-2012, 12:55
I've seen the collectable cardboard ships for a pirate game in the stores and photos of the ships here on this site. I've never seen the rules for the game but would assume the rules are very simple. For a quick play "beer and pretzles" type game using Napoleonic Era model ships, would the rules work and would there be enough difference between the ship types to make the game interesting?

Capt P
04-21-2012, 05:25
I think the game you are talking about is PIRATES. I don't have any ships but did pick up a box of islands because you never know when you might need them.

Skullduggery
04-22-2012, 01:06
I have some of the ships myself. The game is simple but it is more about searching for gold than combat. Or it was when it came out. I haven't played with the official rules in years. I just use the ships for cheap minis :)

Capt P
04-22-2012, 12:56

Here is a scan of the islands for that game.

Bumblie3
04-26-2012, 01:45
WizKids produce(d?) a Pirates of the Caribbean 'Pocket Model' game using plastic ships. The models are punched out of plastic card about the thickness of a credit card and are slot together models. Although fairly crude, the printed finish makes the models look quite attractive. I wonder if these are the cardboard models referred to in the first posting?
My friends' kids own some, and those I have seen vary between 15cm to 30cm in length and include junks . There are several expansion sets such as Pirates of the Cursed Sea and Pirates of the Revolution. As with most WizKids stuff, some of the models are 'rare', and the extra ships were sold in flat pouches. There are generally two cards to a ship, each being about 25cm x 3.5cm, one containing the ship's stats, plus the main deck and flag, and the other the sails and the hull sides. There is sometimes a third card containing the extra sails and raised decks for the larger vessels. There are some punch out islands printed flat on the same size cards plus treasure and character cards, and a larger one to assemble a Kraken, included in the basic game. The original set came in a Tin Box, about 8" x 6" (in real money). The two ships shown in Capt P's post are a fair illustration of the assembled models. Since my friends' kids rarely use them now, I may negotiate a deal with them. I must have a couple of Disney DVDs they want...

John.

Coog
04-26-2012, 15:21
The game all of you are referring to is the one in which I am interested. I never looked closely at the ships and just assumed they were made out of a thick card stock. I have a quite a few GHQ ships and thought the game might have some very simplistic, quick playing rules I could use for those times I did not want to be burdened with much details or record keeping, but still capture the visuals of sailing ship combat. Also I though they might be condusive to using several ships at once. I've been searching the web, but keep finding all sorts of things related to all kinds of pirate games instead of what I am looking for - the rules to this one.

Berthier
04-27-2012, 03:29
Bobby

just put this search into ebay, and check the box or searching in descriptions

"wizkids spanish main"

You will get about 800 hits and the various pictures will give you an excellent representation of what is available Yopu can pick up large lots relatively cheaply. the carib game came out after the Spanish main game. There was also a Revolutions expansion (US etc), Davey Jones Curse, Mysterious islands,Rise of the fiends, Cursed seas, Oceans edge, and a far east expansion...they really did it to death.

Ships could be made from 1 to 3 "cards" depending on the ship size. There were numerous sea monsters in later sets but the series had run it's course by then, probably due to buyer exhaustion! (Both mental and financial)

Bumblie3
04-27-2012, 07:15
The game all of you are referring to is the one in which I am interested. I never looked closely at the ships and just assumed they were made out of a thick card stock. I have a quite a few GHQ ships and thought the game might have some very simplistic, quick playing rules I could use for those times I did not want to be burdened with much details or record keeping, but still capture the visuals of sailing ship combat. Also I though they might be condusive to using several ships at once. I've been searching the web, but keep finding all sorts of things related to all kinds of pirate games instead of what I am looking for - the rules to this one.

Bobby,
The following is a link to the Wizkids home page for this game. Severa sets of rules are available there, with modifications of the baic rule set
http://www.wk-pirates.be/index.php?option=com_weblinks&catid=76&Itemid=100

The game seems to driven by the plastic cards. Moving is determined by either the long side or short side of the card, or a combination of both. Turns can only be made only between each measurement. Wind and tides are not taken into account.
The masts are detachable and are removed as damage is taken. Each tier of sails has a value shown on it in the terms of spots on a die. This represents the cannon rank. On a three master there will be 3 cannon ranks. The range of the cannon rank is either long or short. The range corresponds with the length of the long or short side of the card. If the dice roll exceeds the cannon rank value the shot hits. A hit results in the removal of a mast - defenders choice. Loss of a`mast removes the cannon rank associated with it on the defending ship.
On a turn a player can move, explore, shoot or (if in home dock) repair one mast.

The following is a Youtube link to a video of the game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVi2OsJNM9Y&feature=relmfu

Hope this helps.

John..

csadn
04-27-2012, 15:31
Be aware: The masts break easily -- whoever designed the cutouts decided to have the cuts conform to the exact shape of the masts, which leaves them very weak between the sails.

DROU
02-08-2017, 16:37
Got tons of these ships when various sub-genres of it went out of fashion

The masts do break occaisionally so I add a small "puff" of cotton wool to represent fire/destruction rather than pulling them out of the hull to represent damage. A shaved down matchstick superglued up the back of the broken mast usually fixes it up though.

The game is about lifting treasure from islands and is frankly tedious unless you're channeling Captain Jack, but the SIMPLE movement and combat mechanics have made for many happy encounter battles, often with enormous fleets and rapid resolution.

If my 8yr old can't get to grips well enough with the SOG simplified ruleset then I'll still be able to pull out these rules and let him sail my new "real ships" heh. (Rule 1 - You only touch them by the base!!!!)

DROU

Naharaht
02-08-2017, 22:24
Bob, something seems to have gone wrong with your scanned image because all I can see are bands of colour.

TexaS
02-08-2017, 22:56
That is probably due to the hacking that happened back in the day. His post is from five years ago.

Bligh
02-09-2017, 02:45
On behalf of the British Fleet welcome to the Anchorage Phil.
I hope that you will enjoy your sojourn with us. In the meantime poll up a bollard and join us in a bottle or three of the old Jamacia.
Bligh.