PDA

View Full Version : Constitution repaints/reflags

Dobbs
07-02-2016, 07:12
Does anyone have an opinion as to using the Constitution mini for HMS Leander or Newcastle. I haven't seen any pictures yet, but they seem in the same size range.

Bligh
07-02-2016, 08:18
The only thing I have used her for Dobbs was my HEIC Nottingham, as the largest HEIC Frigate was of a similar size.
I just built up the Poop deck, moved the mizzen mast slightly forrard and blocked off a couple of gun ports on each side to get the profile right. Have you got a profile of either ship we can compare her to?
Rob.

Dobbs
07-04-2016, 19:04
I don't have much information yet, just that they were 1812 war quick-builds, meant to be able to take on the American super frigates 1 on 1.

Diamondback
07-04-2016, 20:42
Both were one-offs.

Best presently available for Leander, inboard profile:
http://collections.rmg.co.uk/mediaLib/548/media-548295/large.jpg

Same for Newcastle:
http://collections.rmg.co.uk/mediaLib/504/media-504918/large.jpg

President:
http://collections.rmg.co.uk/mediaLib/2435/media-2435672/large.jpg

Diamondback
07-04-2016, 20:45
So Newcastle maybe... if Ares asked me about doing Newcastle as a Side B for HMS President I might reluctantly greenlight it, but Leander would get a full bat-sh*t hissy-fit.

Dobbs
07-05-2016, 15:28
Is it possible that Ares will release USS President and USS United States?

Diamondback
07-05-2016, 15:39
Dobbs, I've been about as subtle as a baseball-bat to the grapefruits about telling them that if they're serious about wanting to make the USA actually "playable" rather than "stroke-the-homers novelties" that a mainline-set Humphreys superfrigate is a Must Have--the five of them (including the two 1814 Doughty improved versions) and the five Peacock-group and near-sisters are just about the ONLY USN groups close enough to "homogeneous designs" to potentially be production candidates.

Pulver
07-05-2016, 17:37
I'll give credit to ARES for marketing. Building just 10 ships and exploiting the captured role of most has made it easy to sell the same ships over and over.

I frankly wish they would sell the ships and bases, flag sets and the cards, etc. independently

Dobbs
07-05-2016, 17:42
I'll give credit to ARES for marketing. Building just 10 ships and exploiting the captured role of most has made it easy to sell the same ships over and over.

I frankly wish they would sell the ships and bases, flag sets and the cards, etc. independently

Hear, Hear! I like the idea of selling just the flags! I hadn't thought of that one before, and I like the stock flags, just wish I could re-arrange them. It would be nice too, to be able to just buy ships for modifying.

Bligh
07-06-2016, 03:11
It would certainly save time doing flags for each repaint.
Sets of ship cards and logs would be good too, rather like the extra chits and game mats they do.
There are a plethora of Temeraires still not covered for example.

Saved time is more gaming opportunities.
Rob.

Bligh
07-06-2016, 03:19
Dobbs, I've been about as subtle as a baseball-bat to the grapefruits

Made me chuckle DB.
:clap: I have to applaud your turn of phrase here . I had never come across that one before, but it is very succinct,and so full of deeper hidden frustration.

Mind if I use it in future?

Rob.:happy:

Diamondback
07-06-2016, 14:41

Nine, actually... SGN108 and 201 are the same basic sculpt, just that 201's a slightly more detailed "premium" version.

Made me chuckle DB.
:clap: I have to applaud your turn of phrase here . I had never come across that one before, but it is very succinct,and so full of deeper hidden frustration.

Mind if I use it in future?

Rob.:happy:

Have at it, amigo--what's the point of snark if not to be shared and viral-ized? :) (Ya know, sometimes with some people even a swift kick in the balls isn't enough to get their attention... :( )

Then again, I'm one of those sorts who thinks "subtle" is you put an inert Tomahawk cruise missile through their window with the message "Next one's for real" painted on it... or park a tank in their front yard.

Bligh
07-06-2016, 15:45
That one did me good as well.
Two nights that you have made me chuckle before hitting the hay.
God night all.
Rob.

Dobbs
07-07-2016, 09:52
DB, I have heard that 108 an 201 are the same basic sculpt, but they look so different to my eye...

Victory has no sheer, and the 108's have a nice sweep to their decks. It seems like it would be easier to make a new mold than change something like that.

Hjl
07-07-2016, 09:53
I saw a picture on here of the ships pulled apart. Maybe it's as simple as a different side panel on otherwise the same ship.

AirborneEnginee
07-12-2016, 14:47
Hear, Hear! I like the idea of selling just the flags! I hadn't thought of that one before, and I like the stock flags, just wish I could re-arrange them. It would be nice too, to be able to just buy ships for modifying.

I have made ships so I can reflag them. I cut off the current flag with flush cutters. Drill a whole in it with a pin vise. Insert flags on steel rods and change them as I need.

Bligh
07-12-2016, 15:46
Smart idea Airborne.
I have maade new flags on wire for my Fortifications so that they can be changed, but never gone that extra step. Of course with the plastic of the flag being so thick, it is easy to use a fine drill in the way you suggest.
Well done that man.
Rob.