PDA

View Full Version : Ship Stats, what do they mean?

Berthier
11-30-2011, 04:33
http://sailsofglory.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=26&d=1322582704

Ok here's a go at the numbers depicted on the HMS Britannia card- there are ten boxes each box has three numbers below the ship presumably depicting full broadside, and partial broadsides forward and aft.

All numbers decline as boxes move to the left thus must be for accumulated damage. The "hands" symbol probably relates to crew strength, the musket symbol to possbily boarding strength or marines strength (or both)

The letter "A" below the ships name may be for rating. The number 3 next to the wheel is possibly related to movement, possibly turning ability, possibly to do with how close to the wind she can run. The"6" inside the hull diagram is likely a defensive value of some kind.

Opinions guys?

Bligh
11-30-2011, 07:18
I think that is a reasonable guess as far as it goes so far Daniel, and judging by other games of this type.
Rob.

Dan-Sam
11-30-2011, 07:28
http://sailsofglory.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=145&d=1322733159 (http://imageshack.us/f/443/hmsbritannia.jpg/)

Classe = class
Cannoni = guns
Ponti = bridges
Uomini = men

Danni alle nave = damage to ship
Perdite equipaggo = losses crew

May be there will be two kinds of damage:

damage to ship (standard shots, chain shots)
losses crew (shrapnel bombs)

Tommy Z
11-30-2011, 09:43
I think you are very close to being accurate.

Gunner
11-30-2011, 21:50
The 6 inside the hull is maximum hull damage it can take before it sinks?

The Cowman
11-30-2011, 21:54
I like to speculate as much as the next guy... but have no real clue here... sorry! :(

Dan-Sam
12-01-2011, 00:25
For me is most surprising information about numbers of bridges - it looks we can looking forward to bloody face-to-face fights :)
And one more thing - the black hand could reflect the number of crew members able to maneuver the boat. May be there will be some restriction when somebody has only a half of his crew :confused:

The Royal Hajj
12-01-2011, 03:01
I think we might see a damage system that, like in Wings of War, has special damage indications on them. You draw a damage card/token and it will have a value on it and either Guns, Crew, or Hull icons. If you pull one that has Guns on it, you place that token over the first open square along the gun row. So, after you have taken two Gun special damages, your own broadside is reduced in power.

The numbers in the fire arcs tell you how many damage tokens you deal out to your appoint each time you shoot him. This would allow for every ship type to use the same damage "deck". One of the draw backs (from a game producer's view at least) of Wings of Glory.

Berthier
12-01-2011, 03:13
Second thoughts I think the "A" refers to a manoeuvre deck. the "3" may be a speed rating then?

The ponti-bridges has me slightly confused, I thought it might refer to masts but perhaps it is crew related factor.

All will be revealed soon enough no doubt. It will be interesting to see how the wind is handled as this is obviously the most crucial aspect of play for the period.

Berthier
12-01-2011, 03:17
The other thing of note is how unusual the depiction of the gun arcs are. The full broadside is quite small and doesn't seem to allow for angling of the guns as was possible during the napoleonic period. It may be different ships have different arcs. Also commented on previously, will there be a capacity for bow/stern chasers?

SeaHunter
12-01-2011, 03:39
Well, at this point, all of your thoughts sound plausible to me.

Bumblie3
12-01-2011, 04:21
I'm puzzled by the 'bridges' factor value, as I have always understood that there was only ever one bridge on a ship, which was from where she was steered and where the captain conned the vessel. I suppose it could represent the number of crew needed to con the ship, for example; helmsman, coxswain and officer of the watch (total 3)? This could then vary with smaller vessels where a helmsman and officer of the watch are sufficient. Any thoughts?
John.

Berthier
12-01-2011, 04:29
Agree John, I wonder if the translations although correct miss the meaning.

Dan-Sam
12-01-2011, 04:33
My teory is about "assault bridges" in the case of attack to another ship -> 3 bridges, 3 ways for crew how to get to enemy's deck :)

Bumblie3
12-01-2011, 04:50
My teory is about "assault bridges" in the case of attack to another ship -> 3 bridges, 3 ways for crew how to get to enemy's deck :)

Yes, I think I see what you mean Daniel (Dan-Sam), that it could mean the number of waves of boarding parties that could cross to the enemy ship, in a turn. It will all hinge on the actual translation of the word ponti, as the other Daniel (Berthier) suggests. I hope we get as much fun out of the game, as we seem to be getting, in speculating on the game mechanics!!:D:D:D:D

The Royal Hajj
12-01-2011, 07:06
I think the full broadside is pretty wide. Looking at the health ship numbers, it appears that if you bring the full guns to bare (all three arcs) that the other shi would be taking 13 damage tokens! I think Andrea left out the angling of the guns to simplify game play... something I can live with.

Chasers could be something we see on individual ships... and would add a little more verity.

crashx
12-01-2011, 21:24
Whoa!!! It is starting to look like we better ready our gun crews!!!

Gunner
12-01-2011, 22:04
Whoa!!! It is starting to look like we better ready our gun crews!!!

Hi Timothy. Why don't you stop by the WELCOME ABOARD Forum and Introduce yourself.

Let me be the 1st. Welcome aboard.

Killick
12-02-2011, 00:28
Just going to have to wait for the official realseas, but I suspect will find similarities with Wooden ships Iron men:cool:

Dan-Sam
12-02-2011, 01:13
I am interested more in color frame cards - I think this will be the most important aspect for the wind rules. If you have a tailwind (green frame) you will sail like a Nelson, if you have a crosswind (yellow frame), you have to reckon with it and if you sail against the wind (red frame), you have to traverse. What is your opinion?

Berthier
12-02-2011, 05:25
Daniel, hey very observant of you, I hadn't even noticed the card edges were colour coded. Definitely would relate to movement and wind direction, red clearly being sailing into the wind etc. I wonder if the system will have the sophistication to very the edges of the cards for different rigged ships, as some could sail much closer to the wind than others.

The Royal Hajj
12-02-2011, 06:14
It has been explained that the colored edges do in fact relate to the wind. If you look at the arrow labeled Vento in that image, you will notice that it enters the green area of the card. That means when you move your ship, you move it to the second set of arrows on the manuever card... which just happen to be green! You will not that the first set of arrows are yellow, so when the wind is coming more from the side, you move slower. If the wind is coming from the red zone, there are special rules that most be followed (we don't know what those are yet).

It would be really nice if Andrea did tack into account differently rigged ships in regards to wind direction.

The Royal Hajj
12-02-2011, 06:15
You will also notice on the maneuver card that there are three different sail settings which determine how sharp of a turn you can make.

Berthier
12-02-2011, 06:23
The sail settings could allow for variable mast damage in battle as well. Again without knowing the complexity level of the rules set it is hard to speculate on what will be included.

The maneuver deck card has a 6 next to the ships wheel, the ship card has a 3, any ideas?

The Royal Hajj
12-02-2011, 06:33
Not sure on the 3 to 6 difference.

mrdugsir
12-02-2011, 14:16
The game is a lot more complex than WoG and not all of the game mechanics are shown in the picture. There are some really good guesses posted already but that's all I'll say.

Gunner
12-02-2011, 14:25
The game is a lot more complex than WoG and not all of the game mechanics are shown in the picture. There are some really good guesses posted already but that's all I'll say.

Welcome Doug. Are you one of the playtesters?

Old Salt
12-02-2011, 20:02
http://sailsofglory.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=26&d=1322582704

Ok here's a go at the numbers depicted on the HMS Britannia card- there are ten boxes each box has three numbers below the ship presumably depicting full broadside, and partial broadsides forward and aft.

All numbers decline as boxes move to the left thus must be for accumulated damage. The "hands" symbol probably relates to crew strength, the musket symbol to possbily boarding strength or marines strength (or both)

The letter "A" below the ships name may be for rating. The number 3 next to the wheel is possibly related to movement, possibly turning ability, possibly to do with how close to the wind she can run. The"6" inside the hull diagram is likely a defensive value of some kind.

Opinions guys?I like what you say sounds reasonable , only time will tel

mrdugsir
12-02-2011, 22:35
Welcome Doug. Are you one of the playtesters?

I don't want to screw anything up so I'll only say possibly. ;)

Gunner
12-02-2011, 23:03
So I'll just say THANKS, possibly.

The Royal Hajj
12-03-2011, 01:36
We actually have a couple of the player tester on the site. I will respectably ask everyone to refrain from asking them about the game and the rules they have tested. They have an agreement with Ares and Andrea not to disclose information about the game.

Thank you,

The Royal Hajj

mrdugsir
12-03-2011, 01:50
That's good to know. I'll not say anything I shouldn't and I look forward to seeing everyone's perspectives once the game goes live.

I will say I've had fun doing whatever I may be doing.

HMS Vengence
12-05-2011, 06:12
Okay, I am going to make some wild guesses at the sample pics above. Lets take the card for Brittania.

I am guessing the hand symbol stand s for, well, hands, such as 'All hands on deck'. Notice how the firepower (I guess :P) in both cannon and musketry (more guesses) dwindle as there are less hands. I figure that the '6' on the hull picture is a hull strength/rating. Perhaps we can have damage to crew and ship in this game?
The 'A' would probably be the deck, like WoG, and the ship's wheel '3' might be speed or manouvreability?

I am thinking 'Vento' means wind? Note the colours around the edge of the ship card match the coloured arrows. If the wind is in the red zone, I guess the ship is in irons, going nowhere. Yellow and green would relate to the yellow and green arrows on the manouvre card. The 3 sail symbols on the manouvre card would be how much 'sail' the ship has on, therefore giving you the speed variables of wind and sail. I noted the thin white lines I guess you line up the base of the card with.

I wonder if the fire arcs are cumulative, or you go with the best, ie a full broadside is 5, or 4,5,4= 13?

Anyone else keen to guess, or better still, contribute some nice solid facts?

Dave

Edit, I had a look at the 'preview' link in the first post, I think I have the right idea here. Should have read that first... :rolleyes:

Edit 2; The Royal Hajj kindly moved my post here (I obviously had the telescope to the wrong eye and missed the thread) so I apologise that I covered some of the ground that had already been said. I was worried about how wind was going to be handled, but if our guesses are correct it should be a very workable system, and will make holding the weather guage a very tactical element in the game :D

Blackjohn
12-05-2011, 09:29

I have a copy of Elsevier's Nautical Dictionary here in my cube. According to Volume 2, Ships and Their Equipment, the Italian word ponte translates to English as deck. So my guess is that ship is a three-decker.

Attila57
12-05-2011, 12:09
I have a copy of Elsevier's Nautical Dictionary here in my cube. According to Volume 2, Ships and Their Equipment, the Italian word ponte translates to English as deck. So my guess is that ship is a three-decker.

Looking at english-italian dictionary translation I think the best translation of "a tre ponti" is three-deck or three-decked

Helping in a future translation a ship with "due alberi" is a two-masted, with "tre alberi" is a three-masted and so on...

frpat
12-08-2011, 04:28
Looking at english-italian dictionary translation I think the best translation of "a tre ponti" is three-deck or three-decked

Helping in a future translation a ship with "due alberi" is a two-masted, with "tre alberi" is a three-masted and so on...

Makes sense - the term "Bridge" in relation to the location from which a ship was conned is a later addition - relates to the period of the ironclads & onward.

Capn Duff
12-14-2011, 09:34
Will not the number of bridges not relate to the number of gun decks? The example is a 100 gun ship which I think is a three decker. Just my 2d :)

Gunner
10-29-2012, 23:27
[QUOTE=Berthier;295]http://sailsofglory.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=26&d=1322582704

Since the picture shows the ship not perfectly lined up with the turning arrows, does that mean as long as the end of the card shows any part of the three arrows it would be a legal move, giving some play in the movement phase?

PS With all my moaning and groaning about the 1/1000 scale, I can't wait for them to come out and fear I will spend much dinero.

Comte de Brueys
10-30-2012, 03:12
I think the only reason that the ship card arrow doesn't fit 100 % to the movement card arrow is, that you can see the green arrow on the prototype movement card.;)