View Full Version : Nation v. Nation May Scenario. The Blockade

Dr.Maturin
05-06-2016, 16:57
Sketch showing basic layout.22739
Wind Direction at Start.22738
Wind Direction at end turn 622740
General view of playing area layout at start22741

2016 Solo Campaign – May Scenario - The Blockade

Your squadron has been blockading an estuary mouth on a West coast. You are aware that there is a secure anchorage approximately one mile up the river but you have not been able to ascertain exactly what force is sheltered there. A recent cutting out / intelligence gathering operation ended when it was discovered that there are gun batteries located on both banks and about 400 yards up the river and you lost one longboat and it’s crew as a result. They did manage to capture a farm worker who they had found fishing from the river bank but he was unable to tell you more than that there were “lots of masts sticking up” which he could see from the farm.
This squadron has been blockaded for 8 months and has made no attempt to put to sea as far as you know. However now is their chance as you have been forced to gain sea room to ride out a quite severe storm and are now beating in against an unfavourable wind to get back on station. You are expecting that the enemy squadron will take this opportunity to try to make a run for freedom and to rejoin his brothers in the main fleet anchorage some 50 miles to the South.

Your squadron consists of:
1 x 32/34 Gun Frigate
2 x 74 Gun Ship of the Line
1 x 100 Gun Ship of the Line - Flag

The blockaded squadron consists of:
A mix of rates of 3 minimum and up to 5 ships maximum of which 3 must be 74’s and above.
This squadron has been blockaded for so long that the crews are badly in need of some sea time to get them back to some sort of efficiency. Until that time comes, in probably not less than a month’s intensive training, the squadron will only be able to move at up to two sails speed.

The blockaded squadron will effectively have some initial free moves (very much dependant on the D6 result) to get the ships down the river but must stay at least a quarter range-stick (C/D), bow to stern, apart during this operation. Also their orders are to stay together with no “every man for himself” attitude once clear of the estuary. They will, once consolidated, sail South and attempt to exit the playing area anywhere along the Southern edge. If at any time during the game a ship finds that it can not reach the Southern edge or is in danger of capture or worse it will try to make it’s way back to the estuary by the most direct route.

Your mission is to intercept, capture, destroy or force them to return to the estuary and their nearest safe harbour. Your secondary mission is to identify the names and rates of the ships you encounter. To do this you must get within 1.1/2 range-sticks.
At the start of the game you will have one Frigate within 1/2 range-stick of any edge of the playing area, except the Eastern edge. The playing area is two game mats laid short edge to short edge giving 67 x 196cms max ( 26” x 78” but not less than 152.5cms [60”] ) with the estuary located at the bottom right hand corner (see sketch & photo). Note the position of the rocks and shoals which are not only visible but also lie just beneath the surface making the area covered un-navigable by anything larger than a longboat.

At the start of the game you throw 1 x D6 to see how many turns before you appear on the playing surface anywhere on either the Western or Northern edges, and within half range-

stick (B) distance of that edge and in any formation you choose, but you must enter as a close squadron and within one range-stick overall of each other: only the Frigate may be detached.
They appear at the end of the move indicated by the dice roll but do not move until the next turn. i.e 3 thrown on a D6 = Squadron appears at end turn 3 and moves in turn 4.

The wind direction at the start is a brisk offshore breeze blowing directly from East to West (270 degrees).
The wind will veer clockwise 30 degrees at the end of each turn (2 manoeuvre cards) for the first six moves when it will eventually steady at 60 degrees between NE by E and ENE.

The blockaded squadron starts with it’s first ship in the mouth of the estuary and just on the mat. Remember your following ships must be at least a quarter range-stick (C/D) distance behind each other.

You will receive rewards as per the Victory Points list below.

NB. When the escaping squadron go head to wind , as they undoubtedly will, for the first time only the player may choose either the - 4 or the + 6 Red Border Card to manoeuvre. Remember this is first time only.

Happy Hunting.

2016 May Scenario - Blockade Victory Points

:
Each enemy identified ship. 5 points Blockading Sqdn only
Each prize taken. 20 points
Each ship forced back into estuary 15 points Blockading Sqdn only
Each ship sunk. 15 points
Each enemy ship that escapes off table Southern Edge 20 points Blockaded Sqdn only
Each enemy ship that escapes off table Any Edge 15 points Blockaded Sqdn only
Each enemy ship retreating back into estuary 10 points Blockaded Sqdn only

Union Jack
05-09-2016, 07:57
Cheers Reg, sorry for the extra work.

Dr.Maturin
05-09-2016, 11:13
Cheers Reg, sorry for the extra work.

Very nice of you Neil but surely the apology should come from me for posting in the wrong place initially.
Reg

Union Jack
05-09-2016, 16:25
As they say alls well that ends well. Looking forward to getting to grips with this later on in the month. Kinda busy at the moment with potential new job and stuff.

Bos'n
05-10-2016, 01:48
As they say alls well that ends well. Looking forward to getting to grips with this later on in the month. Kinda busy at the moment with potential new job and stuff.

New job! :happy: Good luck! :question: Break a leg? :dazed: Whatever. :thumbsup:

Hjl
05-11-2016, 07:26
I only have a 4x3 foot table to play on. Do you have any suggestions? I can see that table length will make a big difference to the games outcome.

Bos'n
05-11-2016, 08:07
I only have a 4x3 foot table to play on. Do you have any suggestions? I can see that table length will make a big difference to the games outcome.

I'm having the same problem with my table size. I have 2 game mats, but a tablecloth or long roll of paper will do. Let the excess material hang over one end of the table. As the ships and the game move to the southern end of the game area, simply slide the mat, cloth, or paper to scroll the play area along. The only trouble I see is if some of the ships are left too far behind the others.

Hjl
05-11-2016, 08:22
I am considering completing the game on the floor, I'll just have to do it when the kids are either asleep on at school.

Bos'n
05-11-2016, 08:33
I am considering completing the game on the floor, I'll just have to do it when the kids are either asleep on at school.

I tried the floor with the last nation v nation scenario. My back hurt and my sessions were shorter than they usually are.

Good luck with your game; I look forward to reading you AAR.

Dr.Maturin
05-11-2016, 09:19

Hugh I'm sorry that I am causing you problems. Suggestions from Bos'n look good or just move everything North in a straight line when you get too close to the Southern edge. At least you will only have 12" to move if you use the 60" (5 foot) minimum length option. However you must take that into account for any ship/s trying to return to the Estuary and add distance back on to compensate.
Best of luck.

Bligh
05-12-2016, 13:26
Ran my scenario today. It was all over in five feet.
The enemy left port in splendid style, all in battle lines, rounded the cape and shoals and headed for the sunset.
My British Fleet did not even start straggling on until move five.
But you will have to await my AAR for the full sad tale.:shock:
Rob.

Dr.Maturin
05-12-2016, 16:36
Ran my scenario today. It was all over in five feet.
The enemy left port in splendid style, all in battle lines, rounded the cape and shoals and headed for the sunset.
My British Fleet did not even start straggling on until move five.
But you will have to await my AAR for the full sad tale.:shock:
Rob.

Don't keep us in suspense for too long Rob!

Bligh
05-13-2016, 02:11
Oh! I will, I will Reg.:wink:
Should get chance to write it up tomorrow or Sunday all being well. It won't take many minutes.:shock::surrender:
Rob.

Union Jack
05-14-2016, 02:09
They came, they went, we went home?

Dr.Maturin
05-14-2016, 04:44
They came, they went, we went home?

Very cryptic! Does this mean we have an imminent AAR in the pipeline?

Union Jack
05-15-2016, 14:04
I was refering to Robs (Blighs) game potentially. But I play mine tomorrow or perhaps tonight if I feel able.