PDA

View Full Version : First game

Ramage
05-03-2016, 01:34
Hello,
Our group had our first game with SoG over the weekend. We used one ship each for the first game, to get used to the rules better, using the basic rules only. We found it easy to follow with only a few questions about situations which cropped up. So, all in all, a good start.
Next we then tried the standard rules, again with one ship each. Again it was a good game. The only thing was thought that could be changed were the crew casualties. It was too fast to lose a ship's crew we thought. So we decided to experiment. When taking a crew hit, instead of taking a whole crew box off, we took just one point off it for each crew marker that was given. When the whole crew box was filled we then crossed off the whole crew box.
Our next game was with the advanced rules, two ships each. This took longer to play but was very enjoyable. Plenty of damage on all ships. We even tried a couple of frigates. It was not recommended to fight a ship of the line, as we found out to their cost, lol.
The game went very well and all my friends liked it tremendously.
Looking forward to our next game
Cheers
Richard

Dr.Maturin
05-03-2016, 02:46
You are very brave to get onto the advanced rules so quickly. Salute Sir!

TWR
05-03-2016, 05:12
Glad you enjoyed the game. It uses simple mechanics but has plenty of depth. I find the advanced rules add considerably creating lots of additional challenges.

Union Jack
05-05-2016, 07:43
Me thinks the game design was for speedy fun games. With the addition of house rules a more realistic outcome and battle may be fought. But great news you are already into the advanced stuff.