PDA

View Full Version : AAR March

Hyperfocal
05-02-2016, 00:36
Gentlemen I must apologise for my tardiness in posting this scenario and my general absence from this forum. For the past 6 weeks I have been living in a plague house with a virus slowly working its way through my entire family. However, all is now well and I can return to normal duties.

I invited a mate around last Saturday for a game of SOG and ask him to play the enemy fleet for the March scenario. I trust its ok to play against a live opponent rather than the AI; I certainly seemed to have taken more of a beating than I would have playing the AI.

Please also forgive my lack of a literary preamble, I will endeavour to bring my Captains to life in the next scenario.

The engagement opened with the French ships in a line, lead by the 113 gun, Imperial followed by the 74 gun Le Swiftsure, the 36 gun Dryade and the 32 gun Le Success. Facing them was the 100 Gun Flag Ship of Admiral Arthur Phillip captained by John Marshall, HMS Queen Charlotte; followed by Captain Daniel Southwell in the 32 gun HMS Orpheus and Captain William Bradley in the 74 gun HMS Bellona. The Orpheus was running on fast while the Bellona was running slow.

The storm damage to the French squadron was relatively light.

The French Commander chose to move his larger first and third rates in position to engage the British, while the smaller frigates moved towards the channel. Admiral Phillip moved his two larger ships in position to give battle, sending HMS Orpheus to intercept the frigates.

The French Frigates continued to move toward the channel while the larger French ships moved towards the island to block the Orpheus while the Queen Charlotte continued to move into a firing position while the much slower Bellona trailed behind.

The French first and third rates blocking the small frigate choose to ignore the conventions of battle; both fired upon the small frigate with devastating broadsides. The French frigates seeing the tide of battle turning choose to navigate out into the open rather than attempt the channel. HMS Queen Charlotte fires a broadside at Le Swiftsure.

The broadsides sinks the Orpheus, while the Queen Charlotte does some damage to the Le Swiftsure

The Queen Charlotte continues to move forward, however the enemy is now to her stern, while the Bellona slowly moves forward to engage the French vessels, Imperial moves to meet her with Le Swiftsure following.

The Le Success knowing she is no longer safe from the larger ships after the sinking of the British Frigate takes the opportunity of a long range shot at the Queen Charlotte killing 70 of the crew with no damage to the ship.

HMS Bellona turns across the path of the Imperial in an attempt to rake the French first rate, however the French ship continues to move forward rather than turning for the harbour mouth and collides with the Bellona. The Le Swiftsure has poorly calculated her speed and turn, and runs aground on the small island. HMS Queen Charlotte now some distance from the main action turns and prepares to return fire on Le Success.

Le Swiftsure is heavily damaged from running aground. Imperial fires canister from her front guns at HMS Bellona and accounts for 260 men, from the tops both ships fire with muskets HMS Bellona to the greatest effect.

HMS Queen Charlotte returns the favour to the Le Success to great effect.

Imperial breaks away from the engagement and makes for the harbour mouth. Le Success fails to allow for Le Swiftsure running aground and collides with her. HMS Bellona collides with Le Success

Le Success manages to fire her forward guns and muskets on Bellona before the additional damage of the collision with Le Swiftsure sinks her. Le Swiftsure takes further damage from the collision.

Imperial continues to head to safety, while HMS Bellona and Le Swiftsure exchange broadsides. Dryade collides with the Bellona and the Bellona fires her forward guns on her, both ships exchange musket fire.

HMS Bellona comes of best from the broadside exchange with Le Swiftsure even though the French ship was double shotted. Bellona damages Dryade with her forward guns while Dryade’s musketry leaves Bellona unharmed.

Imperial makes harbour while Bellona and Dryade part. With the position of the ships the Dryade will make it safely to harbour without any further interference from the British ships.

HMS Queen Charlotte faired the best with minor crew loss.

HMS Bellona will need an infusion of men to remain viable.

Imperial will live to fight another day

Dryade makes it to harbour in reasonable shape.

Le Swiftshire will eventually break up upon the rocks with her remaining 60 crewmembers rescued by boat sent out from the port.

Both Le Success and Orpheus are sunk.

Capn Duff
05-02-2016, 02:17
Quite a bloody action there.
Not cricket the French SoL firing on the Frigate, but celle la guerre, nice report David.
Reminds me I need to post mine also

Dr.Maturin
05-02-2016, 03:36
A hard action indeed Sir and with no prize money to soften the blow. Salute!

Hyperfocal
05-02-2016, 04:47
I will be holding the "frigate" incident over my mate for some time; however he did point out if events were different I would have been unlikely to just let his frigates sail past my SOL and into port.

Hyperfocal
05-02-2016, 04:50
Yes Reg, prize money is proving illusive, but there is always next time. I still have a few serviceable ships.

Bligh
05-02-2016, 05:43
A most interesting action David.
I have no problem whatever with your substitution of a real opponent.
Just sorry you came out of it with no prize money.
When I wrote the scenario, I envisaged some captured enemy rather than everyone running amok and sinking everything in sight.
Anyway, thanks for a jolly good read. I enjoyed it very much.
Rob.

Hjl
05-02-2016, 07:41
Very nicely done. Good conduct says that we shouldnt fire on a frigate unless fired upon, but neither should we let ourselves get into a dangerous situation to avoid firing on a frigate. I say if a frigate gets itself into close proximity with a SOL then it should be assumed that its preparing a broadside. In which case, down to the depths with her!

Torrence
05-02-2016, 08:39
Nice ARR, the battle was quite interesting, too!

Hyperfocal
05-03-2016, 05:08
Rob, I enjoyed your scenario, it played very well. I dare say if I had started off differently there may have been a better chance of some prizes.

Hyperfocal
05-03-2016, 05:11
Hugh, there was no way my mate was going to let my frigate pass, sinking my ship gave him the greatest satisfaction.

Bligh
05-03-2016, 06:18
Hugh, there was no way my mate was going to let my frigate pass, sinking my ship gave him the greatest satisfaction.

His Admiral has just read the ships logs and reports. He is hopping mad at losing his share of the prize money that a fine Frigate would have brought him. He may have escaped his date with Madame Guillotine, but tell him not to expect any promotion in the foreseeable future. :wink:
Rob.