PDA

View Full Version : AAR April: Copping a Packet: A Shakedown Cruise

Bos'n
04-27-2016, 17:40

27 Thw al-Qi’dah 1218 A.H.
Meshuda, Flagship of the Navy of Eyalet of Tripolitanian
To: His Highness Yusuf Karamanli, Pasha of Tripoli,
Sir:
For the passed three months I have been at sea training the gutter rats of Tripoli’s least favorite dens of human wretchedness to become sailors worthy of your navy. I have assigned the least clumsy to the gun crews, those with some skill in the trades to the boson’s squad, and the rest to boarding and musketry crews. The sons of infidel contraband were assigned with worthy Tripolitanian sailors to form the various crews needed to run a ship of war, then trained harshly.

The ship needed actual combat to put iron in their backbones and fire in their bellies. I was pleased to hear rumors of an American packet ship holed-up in a small inlet just hours from our location. This was the opportunity I was waiting for.

The crew was gathered, sails and anchor raised, and Meshuda heading out to sea in two hours. I was impressed. My main concern was the behavior of the rabble when iron and splintered wood began to fly. Would they hide cowering behind anything that would protect them. I would soon find out.

Meshuda left Mellieha Bay on the island of Malta behind and set our course for the southern coast of Comino. There we would find Taht il Mazz,a small inlet guarded by a small islet, and the hiding place of the American.

As we rounded the headland, we could make out the forms of an American ship-sloop and the brig USS Argus. The sharp-eyed lookout noticed three launches shuttling between the two vessels, sometimes carrying officers and sometimes cargo. So which was the packet rumored to be anchored here?

We must have been spotted because two of the launches scurried quickly to their respective ships were brought on board. The third rowed to the sloop, was hurriedly filled with officers, then it sped back to Argus and was lifted aboard.

Argus chose the northern side of the islet while the sloop, Thorn, chose the southern for their escapes. I made the decision to attack Argus first thereby giving me the better wind advantage should I have the opportunity to snag them both. Argus was also known to be a frequent carrier of important cargo and information for the American Mediterranean Squadron.

Meshuda’s sails were lowered to reduce her speed and allow Argus to gain open waters. This would allow me more room to maneuvered around the clumsier brig.

We clashed for the first time just north of the rocky coast of the islet. Argus lost her foremast and we holed her mainsails. Several of my men went down, blood on the deck, friends and shipmates wounded or dying. This was a major test of the crew’s resolve.

Both ships took tight turns, Argus a little tighter and we raked her from stem to stern with our port guns. Several of her crew were struck and another hole was opened in her mainsail.

Yet again we circled and she gave us a feeble broadside causing a few of the crew to fall.

The crew seemed to be standing firm, but how long would it last. Argus again turned, but we charged straight at her.

Neither ship could bring the guns to bare, but the treetops crackled with musket fire. Ours were the better shots.

Meshuda sped past Argus and tried to get in a luck shot, but missed.

Once again, our two ships circled, but this would be the last dance for Argus. Our forward port division’s guns did just enough damage and the American struck her colors.

The fight took to long and the sloop made its getaway.

USS Argus was carrying the payroll for the Mediterranean Squadron.

With that and the price we would get at the slave market for the remaining crew, and the ship itself, our fortunes have improved.*

The crew did very well. They bravely stood their ground, did their jobs and showed that they would be an adequate addition to your navy. The men are ready for service.
______________________.______________________
*Assuming that USS Argus was the only ship that did arrive in 1803 present in the Mediterranean at the time of this encounter then the American Squadron would have had 8 ships and about 2000 officers and men. This doesn’t sound like much and the payroll captured by Meshuda may have had money for maintenance and supply as well salaries for people. I wonder how much was in those chests of gold?
How Did Our Hero Do?
Murad Reis (P)/ Fit and Hardy (Return to Port)/ Captured USS Argus, her crew as slaves or ransom, payroll for the Mediterranean Squadron
Question:
1. Why didn’t USS Thorn stick around and help Argus?
2. Could they be carrying something more valuable than the treasure?
I wonder . . .
Tune-in in June for the next exciting adventure of
“How a Scot Made Good By the African Sea”
Ships
Meshuda

USS Argus

USS Thorn

The Shore Battery

Capn Duff
04-28-2016, 01:43
Nice report, I look forward to reading further adventures

KDz
04-28-2016, 02:56
Thanks for AAR, nice to read and wacht. :thumbsup:

Bligh
04-28-2016, 03:27
Makes a nice change to get a different perspective on the story line.
Looks as if Murad Reis is on the way back up again Bob.
Rob.

Torrence
04-28-2016, 08:33
Ver nice read, thank you!

Hjl
04-28-2016, 09:38
Nice arr always.

TexaS
04-28-2016, 11:34
Fun read and nice pictures!

Union Jack
04-28-2016, 12:58